First Post: New and Learning Seeking Guidance re: Deal Possibilities

First Post: New and Learning Seeking Guidance re: Deal Possibilities

Member since 2023 · 5 posts · 2 votes

Hello Bigger Pockets Community!

I'm a resturant owner transitioning to Real Estate Investing.  I've been soaking up as much information as I can on the podcasts, youtube etc. 

I think I have an opportunity however I don't know which direction to take.  

I have a friend that owns a lakefront property in Massachusetts (where I'm located). It's 3062 sqf, 1/3 acre, waterfront property home with 3 beds and 3 baths. She does not want to use a realtor. She's asking 700K. Comps are 750k - 850k in the area.

Other information: The home is located 10 minutes from Gillette Stadium (home of the Patriots and Patriots Place) and a specialty outlet mall.

The house does require some repair however nothing foundational.

I'm sure there is an opportunity here to help her and myself jump into the game however, I get caught up in calculating and figuring out which deal would be the best option. PLEASE HELP I'M OVERWHELMED WITH INFO AND NEED GUIDANCE.

THANK YOU!!!!

2Reply
19 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Agent · MA · Member since 2018 · 167 posts · 57 votes
2y

@Nikki Irving-Miralrio Have you run this through any STR calculators? (AirDNA). Does the seller own it outright (is seller financing an option), would the seller be open to assuming the loan? With rates where they are at now creative financing is worth exploring if the seller is willing.

See this reply in the discussion

9 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Sarah DowneyPro Member
    Lender · Springfield MO · Member since 2023 · 56 posts · 63 votes
    2y

    Hi Nikki,

    I think this has potential! Are you thinking STR or LTR? How much rehab are you thinking you will need to invest?

  • Member since 2023 · 5 posts · 2 votes
    2y

    I'm thinking STR. Similar homes in the area range from $300-$500/night. It has great potential for football season and summer.
    My estimate is $50k (padded) for repairs. 

  • Sarah DowneyPro Member
    Lender · Springfield MO · Member since 2023 · 56 posts · 63 votes
    2y

    I love the idea of this as a STR. That budget seems very reasonable, too.

    @Greg Downey , what are your thoughts on this one?

  • Member since 2023 · 5 posts · 2 votes
    2y

    Thank you! I’m grateful for the feedback! 

  • Real Estate Agent · MA · Member since 2018 · 167 posts · 57 votes
    2y

    @Nikki Irving-Miralrio Have you run this through any STR calculators? (AirDNA). Does the seller own it outright (is seller financing an option), would the seller be open to assuming the loan? With rates where they are at now creative financing is worth exploring if the seller is willing.

  • Member since 2023 · 5 posts · 2 votes
    2y

    Thank you!

  • Tre DeBragaPro Member
    Real Estate Agent · Worcester, MA · Member since 2022 · 107 posts · 48 votes
    2y

    Yes I agree with Sam.. Creative financing might be the way to go. Look up pace morby creative financing on YT. 

  • Lender · Springfield, MO · Member since 2015 · 379 posts · 180 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Nikki Irving-Miralrio:

    Hello Bigger Pockets Community!

    I'm a resturant owner transitioning to Real Estate Investing.  I've been soaking up as much information as I can on the podcasts, youtube etc. 

    I think I have an opportunity however I don't know which direction to take.  

    I have a friend that owns a lakefront property in Massachusetts (where I'm located). It's 3062 sqf, 1/3 acre, waterfront property home with 3 beds and 3 baths. She does not want to use a realtor. She's asking 700K. Comps are 750k - 850k in the area.

    Other information: The home is located 10 minutes from Gillette Stadium (home of the Patriots and Patriots Place) and a specialty outlet mall.

    The house does require some repair however nothing foundational.

    I'm sure there is an opportunity here to help her and myself jump into the game however, I get caught up in calculating and figuring out which deal would be the best option. PLEASE HELP I'M OVERWHELMED WITH INFO AND NEED GUIDANCE.

    THANK YOU!!!!

     @Nikki Irving-Miralrio, I've got a handful of clients in and around the Boston area. For me, based on your angle, unless your friend can pull off some unique situation, a highly executable scenario here would be to purchase the property with a rehab loan. You mentioned that the property didn't need much BUT you also mentioned that you thought you'd be able to buy it at a decent discount to market. If you use the rehab loan route, you get the money financed to complete the modest rehab AND you have built-in justification to a 30-year lender that the property is worth the $850k+. You could then refinance all of your money back out as quickly as 90 days. 

    You get a freshly rehabbed property, with none of your own money in the deal and you can STR really well up there. I've done similar situations with a handful of clients specifically in that area.

    Sounds like you have a really good deal here.

  • Member since 2023 · 5 posts · 2 votes
    2y

    Thank you for your suggestions. Creating a plan now! I'll be posting!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.