Considering Birmingham, AL for My First Real Estate Investment

Considering Birmingham, AL for My First Real Estate Investment

Member since 2022 · 13 posts · 12 votes

Hello BiggerPockets Community,

I hope this message finds you well. My name is Dzung Doan, and I am embarking on my journey into real estate investing. I'm interested in a buy-and-hold strategy for rental properties and am keen on creating a passive income stream. I have an initial investment capital of around $35K-$50K, with an additional $3K-$5K saved per month. My plan is to finance my investments primarily using conventional loans, with a down payment of 20-25% and a 30-year mortgage.

One of the markets that has caught my attention is Birmingham, Alabama. I am attracted by its diverse economy, increasing population, robust rental demand, and relatively favorable rent-to-price ratios.

However, as I'm currently based out-of-state, I would greatly appreciate the input and advice of those familiar with the Birmingham market. In particular, I am interested in:

  1. The characteristics of different neighborhoods in Birmingham, including their investment potentials
  2. Your personal experiences, both challenges and successes, from investing in the Birmingham market
  3. Any recommendations for local teams - real estate agents, property managers, contractors, etc.
  4. Any specific strategies that have proven to be successful in this market

Moreover, I would welcome any advice on potential pitfalls or important factors to be aware of when investing in Birmingham.

I am excited to make well-informed decisions and start my journey in real estate investing on a strong note. Any insights, advice, or recommendations that you could provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance for your time and your help. I look forward to learning from and growing with this community.

Best regards,

Dzung Doan

1Reply
79 views

2 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Member since 2023 · 2 posts · 1 vote
    3y

    I'm actually in Birmingham right now buying my 2nd Property by Center Point (class B/C neighborhood but with a strong rental background).

    My advice for you are the following:

    1) if you can - find time to physically visit Birmingham. It'll help you better understand the different neighborhoods and why some cash flow and some don't. Pictures won't do it. You need to physically see the property to make your own judgement. 

    I went to visit a "Turn Key" property that was apparently rent ready, per the listing. However, upon actually visiting it, there was a strong odor that resonated around the home. Potential mildew or water damage. 

    2) Pay for an Inspection report prior to the Appraisal. A full one. I paid a flat $500. I know someone if you are interested.

    3) Property Managers are a huge hit or miss. Go for the mom and pop Property Managers. If you do purchase in C/D neighborhoods with a strong rental history, be prepped that some tenants may skip paying rent and will "illegally sub-lease" to other tenants. It happens. Make sure your PM is on top of this. 

    4) Diversify your portfolio around Birmingham if you can. Not just in one Municipality/neighborhood. This breaks leverage. I plan to purchase my 3rd and so forth at Roebuck/Trussville or maybe even spend more down south by Homewood.

    Good luck !

  • Dylan ThomasBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · AL · Member since 2021 · 90 posts · 44 votes
    3y

    @Dzung Doan Good evening!

    Have you locked in 100% to the Birmingham market? Or would you be open to other areas? I work the Mobile, AL market and surrounding areas and there are deals to be had in the capital and price range you mentioned above. 

    If you are open to it, I would love to speak with you further about the area and how it could possibly be a good fit. Feel free to send me a message directly. I look forward to hearing from you!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.