Eviction in Los Angeles (PM guarantees rent... but)

Eviction in Los Angeles (PM guarantees rent... but)

Member since 2023 · 17 posts · 9 votes

Hello,

I recently received news from my property management (PM) company that they have initiated an eviction process against my tenant due to non-payment of rent, despite several attempts to resolve the issue. While I'm relieved that my PM company guarantees my rent until the end of the lease term (November), and they will also cover up to $15k in the eviction process, I want to prepare for any potential worst-case scenarios given that I live in Los Angeles, California.

Currently, the PM company is waiting for the attorney to draft the eviction application, and they have promised to keep me informed of any updates. However, I am curious about what else I can do to ensure the process goes as smoothly as possible.

If anyone has any advice or suggestions on what I can do to prepare for any potential issues, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you.

0Reply
22 views

Most Popular Reply

Nathan GesnerBusiness Member
Moderator
Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
3y
Quote from @Yun Han:

They guarantee your rent income until the end of November? They cover $15,000 in eviction costs?

I don't think  you need to worry about anything. If they are able to provide those types of guarantees, they must have enough experience to know what they are doing.

The DIY Landlord Book4.7248 Reviews
See this reply in the discussion

5 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Nathan GesnerBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Yun Han:

    They guarantee your rent income until the end of November? They cover $15,000 in eviction costs?

    I don't think  you need to worry about anything. If they are able to provide those types of guarantees, they must have enough experience to know what they are doing.

    The DIY Landlord Book4.7248 Reviews
  • Real Estate Agent · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2018 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    3y

    I would rely on the attorney and PM. LA is a complicated City and there isn't much more you can do that wouldn't get you in trouble. Rely on the experts. 

    Good luck!

  • Michelle CrochetBusiness Member
    Realtor · Burbank, CA · Member since 2019 · 81 posts · 62 votes
    3y

    Hi Yun Han! It's great to hear that your property management company is taking the necessary steps to address the non-payment of rent by your tenant. Here are some additional suggestions to help you prepare for the eviction process:

    -Review your lease agreement: Make sure you understand the terms of your lease agreement, especially with regard to non-payment of rent and the eviction process. You can also consult with an attorney to help you understand your rights and obligations as a landlord.

    -Document everything: Keep a record of all communications with your property management company, tenant, and attorney regarding the eviction process. This will be helpful in case any disputes arise later on.

    -Consider offering a payment plan: If your tenant is willing to pay some rent but is unable to pay the full amount, you may want to consider offering a payment plan. This may help you avoid the eviction process altogether.

    -Prepare for the worst-case scenario: While you hope that the eviction process goes smoothly, it's always best to prepare for the worst-case scenario. Make sure you have enough cash reserves to cover any unexpected expenses, such as repairs or vacancy costs. You may also want to review your insurance policies to ensure that you have adequate coverage in case of any damages or liabilities.

    -Stay informed: Stay in touch with your property management company and attorney to stay informed about the eviction process. Ask questions if you have any concerns, and make sure you are aware of any key deadlines or requirements.

      Evictions can be a hassle, but with careful preparation and the help of experienced professionals, you can minimize your risk and protect your investment! Hope this helps :) Best of luck to you!

    1. Rental Property Investor · Boston, MA · Member since 2019 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
      3y

      It sounds like everything is going perfect. Why mess with something like that...? Move on to other things.

    2. Member since 2023 · 17 posts · 9 votes
      3y

      Thank you everyone! I will keep records of as much as possible and prepare cash reserve for the worst scenario while letting PM to handle the eviction. 

    Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.