Charlotte, NC · Member since 2021 · 10 posts · 6 votes
Hey everyone,
I am about to enter my last college semester at UNC-Chapel Hill. That being said, I am starting a job search and seeking advice on the Careers I should be looking into/applying to that could benefit my journey into eventually buying real estate myself. So far, I have interned at a property management company and a smaller commercial real estate investment firm. Eventually, my goal is to buy small multifamily properties using my W2 income. Any advice is appreciated.
Your head is definitely in the right place--those are two great experiences that will definitely help you when it comes to purchasing/investing in properties. As someone who did the same, my recommendation would be to continue down the path of working with a commercial real estate firm. It really helps build your confidence by giving you exposure to the ins and outs of deals, underwriting, financing, etc. at a larger scale that you can then take with you into your personal investing career.
If you're interested in sales and looking for a different experience from the ones you've already had, you could look into roles on the brokerage side.