Looking to invest not sure where and thoughts on my strategy pls?

Looking to invest not sure where and thoughts on my strategy pls?

Vendor · Crystal Lake, IL · Member since 2017 · 3 posts · 2 votes

Hello, and thank you all for your time reading my post and weighing in with your opinions. That being said I'll try and be brief. 

My goal is to purchase a Duplex in CO., IL., and or WI as early as March of 2023. Living in one unit while renting out the other. With a plan to (potentially) purchase a truck and pull-behind trailer to live in for a year or so while we traveled the US a bit. 

We'd travel to A.) see the country and B.) learn of the RE. opportunities that exist outside our basic/brief exposure to RE investing so far. Or if we don't do that.. the goal would/could be to "hopscotch" from one property to the next as we build our portfolio.

The challenge is both my wife and I work remotely (and she does hold a Realtor Lic. in CO, (and in IL*)) so great (fiber preferred) internet is a must. 

I want to find a property that is logical*** (meaning people are moving there, the local economy is strong, rentals make sense and aren't over-saturated, etc.) and my wife is in love with the thought of short-term rentals. I believe a mixed portfolio doesn't just make sense, it'll be the strategy moving forward, but...

The question is... where makes sense to go first?

>>Read further for context<<  

I am looking to invest in a duplex, but I am unsure which state/town/county makes the most sense. I'm not open to the South as I'll (potentially) be living on one side of the  Duplex while renting out the other side. 

1st Choice would be IL. (Mchenry county area/NW Suburbs) as I've owned/lived there in the past, we have a ton of family in the area and eventually.... the goal is to turn our "side" of the duplex into a short-term rental to A.) allow us to move onto the next property/chapter of our lives and B.) we have a ton of family in CO. (where we currently live) who would also benefit from visiting IL from time to time for family/friends as well. 

My concerns are that my wife hates IL. and loves CO. and we're living in CO now. (*Western Slopes) also, the new laws going into effect in IL. are kinda crazy to me.. I wouldn't have any police help for squatters and/or other violent crimes (unless I'm mistaken). But if we can find a duplex that makes sense and we can tap into the short-term market... IL would be great.

2nd choice would be WI. (Lake Geneva/close to IL.'s NW suburbs - specifically the McHenry county area) would be a good second choice for all of the above-stated reasons, but we've never lived in WI., so it's an unknown for us (just as most of the states would be).


3rd choice would be CO. (thinking the front range - i.e. Denver suburbs, Colorado Springs, etc) would also be a great option as we have our eldest daughter who lives here and our youngest daughter still lives with us and has mentioned moving out to the Denver area... if she did, investing in a surrounding area makes some sense to us; however, CO is expensive as heck and I'm almost certain a (viable) duplex would exist in the area. (side thought... The Grand Junction area of CO. would work as well***)


Spelling it out... my strategy would be to save the 5% I'd need for a conventional loan (if I can't get an FHA loan) to purchase the first duplex (I don't have 20% for anything right now), living on one side to fulfill the loan requirements that we live there for "x" period of time, and to save up for the next property (move into our RV or pull-behind).

My thoughts are to rent out one side of our Duplex as a long-term renter (needs to cover the mortgage + "X"% for profit with the Short-term side bringing in profit ($10K per year min is my hope/am I dreaming?) 

The goal is to purchase our first Duplex next year in 2023 with our 2nd property (and if we can get a 3rd property as well) in 2024.. We want Duplexs to start so we can live in them at first.. fix up anything that needs fixing and learn from the process. 

This is the plan thus far, but ultimately we want to leave our 9 to 5's (ASAP) to transition to being RE investors full-time. 


Any advice, tweaks, or criticism would be GREATLY appreciated. Thank you, everyone :)

0Reply
25 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Seattle, WA · Member since 2015 · 43 posts · 19 votes
3y

Hi Remon, your story and insight inspired me to leave a note! I was once a busy, corporate IT professional and wanted to build a path to Financial Independence and knew REI was my vehicle to do so. Starting with SFH and now I have over 3,000 units. I would be happy to connect to share insight

See this reply in the discussion

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Seattle, WA · Member since 2015 · 43 posts · 19 votes
    3y

    Hi Remon, your story and insight inspired me to leave a note! I was once a busy, corporate IT professional and wanted to build a path to Financial Independence and knew REI was my vehicle to do so. Starting with SFH and now I have over 3,000 units. I would be happy to connect to share insight

  • Henry ClarkPro Member
    Developer · Member since 2020 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    3y

    Narrow down the discussion. 

    You help originate loans thus you know how to crunch numbers. 

    You’re an entrepreneur and have your own company but want to leave 8 to 5.   Don’t understand. Entrepreneur is 12 hours a day. Your complaining about yourself. 

    Say you clear $200 per month even considering capital needs.  How many doors do you need to cover your 8 to 5 jobs?


    Do a spread sheet and determine how many doors you need to hit your financial target.  This will help you determine your market.  Because this will determine your team.     
    .    
    As far as who likes where and why, that would be the first question I would answer.  You will be tied to your properties.  Thus you want to enjoy where you live.  The whole camper around the US doesn’t work if your wanting the number of doors your talking about. 

  • Nathan GesnerBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Henry Clark:

    Unless he has good property management in place, which is what I suggest for anyone looking to grow.

    The DIY Landlord Book4.7248 Reviews
  • Henry ClarkPro Member
    Developer · Member since 2020 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Nathan Gesner:
    Quote from @Henry Clark:

    Trying to get them to run the numbers of how many doors it will take to cover two salaries.  Plus drive around. Once they realize how big that is, they will realize they have to put a team in place and monitor them especially at the outset. Nothing goes perfect from the outset. 

    Unless he has good property management in place, which is what I suggest for anyone looking to grow.


Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.