Having trouble filling House Hack in the Cleveland area

Having trouble filling House Hack in the Cleveland area

Member since 2019 · 12 posts · 4 votes

If anyone has any tips or advice on how to fill a house hack, I would greatly appreciate it! Its a split level SFH. I have a 2 bed 1 bath and a 1 bed 1 bath I'm looking to rent out. The home is in a great rental area. Right off of Cedar road, 1 minute away from Legacy Village, 30 second drive to Norte Dame college and 5 minutes from John Caroll. I have multiple online posts on various sites and even a sign in my yard. I have even tried to call the near by colleges to see if they can list my home on a newspaper but no one is calling me back. I'm getting a lot of bites on zillow but everyone is thinking its a whole home rental. I'm finding people don't like the idea of living with another person lol. I'm at the point where I'm asking friends and such but I'm getting worried that ill never be able to rent these rooms out. Should I lower rents or try different avenues ? any help would be great!

0Reply
22 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Agent · Cleveland, OH · Member since 2021 · 383 posts · 361 votes
4y

I'm a big proponent of filling a house hack with people you enjoy. My first thought is to have friends move in, as they'll likely be a similar age and family size/structure, and you know you'll get along. But if you don't have friends, your friends wouldn't meet your criteria, and/or your friends don't want to, then market it as you have. If you're really not getting anyone to bite, you're probably asking too much for rent or the house doesn't present well. Either lowering the price or taking better pictures may help.

See this reply in the discussion

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Agent · Cleveland, OH · Member since 2021 · 383 posts · 361 votes
    4y

    I'm a big proponent of filling a house hack with people you enjoy. My first thought is to have friends move in, as they'll likely be a similar age and family size/structure, and you know you'll get along. But if you don't have friends, your friends wouldn't meet your criteria, and/or your friends don't want to, then market it as you have. If you're really not getting anyone to bite, you're probably asking too much for rent or the house doesn't present well. Either lowering the price or taking better pictures may help.

  • Member since 2019 · 12 posts · 4 votes
    4y

    I appreciate the reply! Thank you

  • Real Estate Broker · Cleveland Dayton Cincinnati Toledo Columbus & Akron, OH · Member since 2013 · 30k+ posts · 20k+ votes
    4y
    Quote from @Matthew Curtis mendez:

    If anyone has any tips or advice on how to fill a house hack, I would greatly appreciate it! Its a split level SFH. I have a 2 bed 1 bath and a 1 bed 1 bath I'm looking to rent out. The home is in a great rental area. Right off of Cedar road, 1 minute away from Legacy Village, 30 second drive to Norte Dame college and 5 minutes from John Caroll. I have multiple online posts on various sites and even a sign in my yard. I have even tried to call the near by colleges to see if they can list my home on a newspaper but no one is calling me back. I'm getting a lot of bites on zillow but everyone is thinking its a whole home rental. I'm finding people don't like the idea of living with another person lol. I'm at the point where I'm asking friends and such but I'm getting worried that ill never be able to rent these rooms out. Should I lower rents or try different avenues ? any help would be great!


     Normally I prefer to keep all landlord tenant relationships at arm's length. So I am almost always against renting to family and friends. In this situation though, you're a roommate 1st and landlord 2nd so I'd say friends and family is the correct way to go here, not strangers. Drop the price and hit up your buddies.

  • Realtor · Ogden, UT · Member since 2019 · 338 posts · 415 votes
    4y

    There should be a huge demand around that Norte Dame college area so it's very likely your rent is either way too high or the marketing avenues you've used aren't effective.

    I usually market my rentals through the Facebook Marketplace and Rentler so if you haven't used those resources yet, I'd recommend them.

    I also fully agree with @Shane Kelly and @James Wise that if you want to do this for a longer stretch of time, find buddies you like and make the house hack fun.  I rented rooms out to my cousin and two good friends for over two years, had a blast, and lived for free.

    Good luck!
     

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.