New to Real Estate · San Antonio, TX · Member since 2022 · 5 posts · 4 votes
Hello bigger pockets forum, I am currently a teacher/coach in San Antonio, Tx and I am in need of guidance and would like to meet some investors in the area to pick their brains a little and hopefully build a relationship. I am going to get my real estate license this summer and im very eager and motivated to start my investor journey with my wife whom I just married on 11/26/21! Thank you for your time!
Wholesaler, Rehabber and Landlord · San Antonio, TX · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
4y
Hey @Ely Rojas are you looking to be a great realtor or a great investor? These are two VERY different animals. They can both be done at the same time, but double work also.
I was a realtor another life ago, back in the late 80s. Since 2003 I have been an investor.
Get out to some real estate investor meetings. Look at my profile for all the information on mine(free and no pitches). I was just at the BREW in Boerne last night. And I live close to downtown San Antonio. Yes it takes time and lots of effort just to network. There are several meetups that are NOT pitchy and you can learn with or from others.
Please realize that what was mentioned above is true about more knowledge, less time. YOU need to bring something other than money to the table. Help with something in their business. Help with getting out there and bringing a deal, and not something from Zillow that everyone can see and has passed on.
Listen to the podcasts here on BP. Currently I am about a month behind. I have heard over 500 hours of interviews with other investors. And this was after having over 15 years experience myself. Never stop learning.
Congrats on all the firsts! It's nice to see a fellow teacher. Thank you for your service (I feel as though we've all been enlisted if you're teaching during the pandemic). I'd love to connect with you.
Real Estate Broker · Houston | Dallas | Austin, TX · Member since 2018 · 5k+ posts · 2k+ votes
4y
Hi @Ely Rojas, welcome to BiggerPockets and congratulations , you are definitely in the right place. Just make sure to consume contents here as much as possible and feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help each other grow. Goodluck
Wholesaler, Rehabber and Landlord · San Antonio, TX · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
4y
Hey @Ely Rojas are you looking to be a great realtor or a great investor? These are two VERY different animals. They can both be done at the same time, but double work also.
I was a realtor another life ago, back in the late 80s. Since 2003 I have been an investor.
Get out to some real estate investor meetings. Look at my profile for all the information on mine(free and no pitches). I was just at the BREW in Boerne last night. And I live close to downtown San Antonio. Yes it takes time and lots of effort just to network. There are several meetups that are NOT pitchy and you can learn with or from others.
Please realize that what was mentioned above is true about more knowledge, less time. YOU need to bring something other than money to the table. Help with something in their business. Help with getting out there and bringing a deal, and not something from Zillow that everyone can see and has passed on.
Listen to the podcasts here on BP. Currently I am about a month behind. I have heard over 500 hours of interviews with other investors. And this was after having over 15 years experience myself. Never stop learning.
Realtor · Portland, OR · Member since 2017 · 357 posts · 259 votes
4y
Hey @Ely Rojas, congratulations on getting married, closing on your new home, and thank you for being a teacher! I know it can be a thankless job :)
BP is a great place to find people, both virtually and in real life, who are doing the type of investing you are looking to do. You can find local meetups in your area by going to Network>Events up in the menu bar. I’ve found that people in the BP community are incredibly friendly and willing to help.
There are tons of advantages to being a realtor while being an investor. I got my license because I wanted to expedite my learning of going through real estate transactions. I also wanted to learn as much as I could in regards to multi-family investing. After I passed my test I signed on with an investment-minded company that specialized in multi-family properties and owned a property management company.
The best way to find an investment friendly brokerage would be to search people on here who are brokers/agents and ask them to recommend one or two to you (I did this by sending them a private message). Another great way would be to post on the forums who you are and what you're looking for (here's a link to the post for some comic relief). You will certainly want to associate yourself with someone who is excellent at training and doing the types of transactional real estate you want to be involved in.
If you have any questions please feel free to reach out.
@Ely Rojas your not alone. I am a teacher too in the houston area. I have the same goals. I plan to take the courses and get licensed this summer! I am super excited about this. My goal is to work as an agent part time during the summers (i know, i know a lot of people have already told me this is hard). I want to use this as an opportunity to:
1. make extra $$$$ to use towards my first property
2. learning experience
My goal is to leave the education system in the next 3-4 years. Good Luck to you, and if you even wanna connect I'm happy to chat.
Real Estate Broker · Houston | Dallas | Austin, TX · Member since 2018 · 5k+ posts · 2k+ votes
4y
Hi @Ely Rojas,welcome to BiggerPockets, you are definitely in the right place. Just make sure to consume contents here as much as possible and feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help each other grow. Also, If you have not, great books to read are: Rich Dad, Poor Dad The Millionaire Next Door Cash Flow Quadrant Tax Free Wealth Set For Life Rental Property Investing The Millionaire Real Estate Investor The REAL Book of Real Estate So Good They Can’t Ignore You You are more than welcome to reach out if you have any questions. Good Luck and go make it happen!