Rental Property Investor · San Antonio, TX · Member since 2021 · 67 posts · 28 votes
What is the best way to prequalify that a property is clear and can actually close, assuming its a good deal? I have prop stream and have can use their service to pull warranty deeds.
The assumption is I am dealing with a motivated seller and this is off market. While I do ask questions about leins, ownership etc, I want to be able to have a high level of confidence that the property can actually close before I spend any money on inspections or appraisal etc and ensure that the closing duration is long enough for all this to properly happen.
I do not mind reimbursing the seller for closing costs or a title search or something but I want them to front the money for title search etc and if it comes back that title is not clean and we cannot close then I do not reimburse them.
How do you all go about this? My title company said they do lien searchs only outside of the title insurance, no death records search or probate or anything.
Specialist · Winter Springs, FL · Member since 2009 · 1k+ posts · 747 votes
4y
Searching the title is only the 1st step, then the documents need to be examined which can only be accurately done by an experienced examiner. Even then there is a risk of forged documents or ones executed by incompetent persons. Why not write a contract subject to obtaining a title commitment with acceptable exceptions and exclusions from coverage?