Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here
Starting Out

User Stats

Votes
Marco Aceves
Votes |
Good markets in North Carolina for cash flow?

Marco Aceves
Posted Dec 22 2021, 18:46

Hello all,

My wife and I have finally gotten all of our ducks in a row (finances, credit, capital) and we are ready to take a dive into our first property. We live in Raleigh NC and its near impossible to find a property that would sell under market value. We want to do the BRRRR method but we might have to get financing from the beginning. We have just above 100k available to us so unless we can find a property around 50-60k, we wouldn't be able to pay cash without leaving us with little to no money for rehab/holding costs/any unexpected issues.

I have been looking around areas I'm familiar with. (Greenville NC, Asheville, Charlotte area, Durham, Burlington, etc.) and might have found some potential in Greenville. We are looking for a mix of cash flow markets and appreciation markets but would like to focus on the former, to help us raise capital for expansion. 

If anyone has any knowledge in markets within NC, I would greatly appreciate any and all input!
Also, if there are any investor friendly real estate agents my wife and I would love to connect!

Thanks all,

Happy Holidays! 

User Stats

Votes
Joseph Bafia
  • Investor
  • Raleigh, NC
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Raleigh, NC
Replied Dec 24 2021, 07:50

Greetings!  I’m also in Raleigh and connected to several groups that share stories, meet and invest not only in Raleigh but also surrounding communities. 

@Shane Lafleur is an investor and agent and may be able to assist. 

Feel free to reach out and happy to share any connections.  

User Stats

Votes
Samuel Paldino
  • Farmville, NC
Votes |
  • Farmville, NC
Replied Dec 24 2021, 08:46

@Marco Aceves I live in the Greenville area and I’m familiar with the neighborhoods. Please feel free to reach out to me if you have any questions about specific areas.

BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Pat Lulewicz
Agent
  • Realtor
  • Raleigh NC and Greensboro, NC
Votes |
Agent
  • Realtor
  • Raleigh NC and Greensboro, NC
Replied Dec 24 2021, 09:06

Hey Marco - investor and agent in both the Triangle (Raleigh/Durham/CH) and the Triad (Greensboro/HIgh Point/Winston). I do a lot of investment volume in the Triad for folks in the Triangle and out-of-state. Shoot me a message with the criteria and kind of numbers you're looking to achieve; would love to discuss and provide my experiences so far. In addition, I have some hard money lenders I use and recommend regularly who can help you stretch your capital WAY farther.

User Stats

Votes
Shane Lafleur
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Holly Springs, NC
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Holly Springs, NC
Replied Dec 24 2021, 09:53

@Marco Aceves

@Joseph Bafia thank you.

I look forward in connecting.

We have meetups in Raleigh as well as I am the host of a meetup in Southern Wake. Would love to have you there.. I’ll post on events here on the BP forums.

If you are interested in Raleigh or any other markets in NC, I’m with a team that can provide value in other markets like Charlotte, Fayetteville, etc.

would be happy to jump on a call and discuss real estate.

Messaging you as well.

Best! Merry Christmas!

User Stats

Votes
Shari P.
  • Rental Property Investor
Votes |
  • Rental Property Investor
Replied Dec 24 2021, 22:13

@Marco Aceves Fayetteville market.

Active Military, retired military, DOD employees= guaranteed paycheck.

All of my properties are in Fayetteville bc it's just too good. Lots of opportunities for BRRR.

The market is changing due to massive housing shortages and the C class neighborhoods are turning around!

I never buy in crime areas. Great cashflow. There are FB forums for FtBragg investors that offer off market properties and a lot of wholesalers. Good luck!

User Stats

Votes
Marco Aceves
Votes |
Replied Dec 26 2021, 07:32
Originally posted by @Joseph Bafia:

Greetings!  I’m also in Raleigh and connected to several groups that share stories, meet and invest not only in Raleigh but also surrounding communities. 

@Shane Lafleur is an investor and agent and may be able to assist. 

Feel free to reach out and happy to share any connections.  

Thank you, Josheph!
Id love to connect with you and talk about the Raleigh and our surroundings!

User Stats

Votes
Paul Vail
  • The Triangle, NC
Votes |
  • The Triangle, NC
Replied Dec 27 2021, 07:17
Marco,

Like you, I'm just dipping toes in the local Triangle market.  Wow, does it feel expensive in areas.  However, there may be some opportunities in north and east Durham.   Over the last 20 years, the gentrification of areas starting in Trinity Park and now expanding up toward Braggtown and east following the Rt 98 corridor puts a lot of underloved neighborhoods in what seems to be a long-term upward trend.  With the remaking of Rt 70 as more of a freeway connector between I-85 and 147 and cleaning up the traffic flow, that whole chunk of Durham might transform further.  But those are long-term opportunities for 'buying at the right price', if the remodel can attract the right tenants and working with local law enforcement can continue to put pressure on remaining gang activity.

I'm not seeing as much opportunity for significant cash flow in N. Raleigh -- entry pricing is at a premium and valuations smell a little frothy.  Can't bank on appreciation.  Even the obvious growth areas that straddle the future 540 expansion are on the high side, 'though more affordable than around the established highway.  Poole Rd and outer Rock Quarry haven't yet jumped like Garner and Ten-Ten.   After years of the Triangle landing on publishers Top Ten lists for work/retirement and the resulting demand outpacing both the developers and the infrastructure, bargains are rare.  Building a portfolio of cashflow via BRRR is going to be a slow grind until something upends the market.

User Stats

Votes
Kenneth Jackson
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Durham, NC
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Durham, NC
Replied Dec 28 2021, 04:09

I second @Paul Vail in that I like the Durham market a lot. I've spent some of my adult life in Raleigh and shifted gears to Durham in the past 4 years. I've been successful buying properties under market value here, forcing equity with updates, and refinancing out to do it again.

Many folks here on BP invest in Greenville and Fayetteville and there's a wealth of knowledge for those markets on this forum. Although they might not see the appreciation like Durham, you can find some good cash flow and build a nest egg with the BRRRR strategy. I don't know these markets, but with some time and research you can learn them.

With that said, why not have both? Durham gives you the upside of appreciation with the opportunity of cash flow. You may not get the 1% rule now, but in 5 years when there's still a housing shortage, rents have gone up, and your property value has gone up because you're in a desirable area you'll be thanking yourself.

Let me know how I can help.

User Stats

Votes
Grant Leonard
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Raleigh, NC
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Raleigh, NC
Replied Dec 28 2021, 12:19

Hello Marco! There are several great markets for rentals in NC. If you are looking to capture cashflow and appreciation I recommend Durham, NC. Durham is in a rapid state of transition and growth. A ton of investors are seeing this and making Durham their primary market for investing. It may be hard to see now but in five years you are going to be wishing you bought more while you had the chance. It looks like there will continue to be a housing shortage in the market and also plenty of properties that need love. 

User Stats

Votes
Cameron Braig
  • Atlanta, GA
Votes |
  • Atlanta, GA
Replied Dec 28 2021, 18:48

@Marco Aceves

Winston Salem has some good entry opportunities. Between QOZ investments, and institutional investments it is certainly trending in the right way. A strong medical presence also helps. Demographic numbers continue to be strong as well. Best of luck as you all get started.