What’s something actionable I can do to get into investing?

What’s something actionable I can do to get into investing?

New to Real Estate · Indianapolis, IN · Member since 2021 · 2 posts · 0 votes

Hey everyone! Recently I had a sort of epiphany where I wake up and get stuck with life stagnating. I want to improve that aspect in my life as a real estate investor, but I have no deals around my belt or connections to begin with. I’ve been reading books and listening to BP podcasts like crazy! And I’ve gone to look at a few properties that could be rented just to gain some experience. But still I get stuck with not knowing what to physically do with my time other than learn. I’m finishing up school, and I work part time waiting tables.I’m in the Indianapolis, IN area and am open to internships and other things that I may have to dedicate significant amounts of time to. But what’s some skill or process that I could polish to provide value to someone looking to teach me? And how would I go about improving that? Thanks. 

0Reply
27 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Agent · Owatonna, MN · Member since 2017 · 221 posts · 152 votes
4y

@Josh Baxter speak with a lender and see what you need to do to get qualified

See this reply in the discussion

18 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Ogdensburg, NY · Member since 2020 · 3 posts · 1 vote
    4y

    As a newbie investor myself who hasn't gotten a first deal yet, i think one thing that i have been doing is "running" the numbers on properties. This way i am well versed in the math and that the more i use the BP rental property calc, the more i understand about the area i am looking in. 

  • Real Estate Agent · Indianapolis, IN · Member since 2019 · 42 posts · 24 votes
    4y

    First, you develop a relationship with someone who has knowledge of the market you want to be involved in. Then, you discuss your goals with this person, and layout a game plan. I happen to be an agent in Indianapolis.

  • Real Estate Agent · Owatonna, MN · Member since 2017 · 221 posts · 152 votes
    4y

    @Josh Baxter speak with a lender and see what you need to do to get qualified

  • Chase LowryPro Member
    Cleveland · Member since 2021 · 95 posts · 52 votes
    4y

    Figure out what your goals are with REI. Find someone who is farther along than you who shares similar goals. Find out what they need. Learn it and become IRREPLACEABLE.

  • Bruce WoodruffPro Member
    Contractor/Investor/Consultant · San Diego / Phoenix · Member since 2021 · 12k+ posts · 15k+ votes
    4y

    You need knowledge. Read/study/podcasts/Youtube/Etc.....

    You might consider going through the process of getting your Real Estate and Contractor license. You don't need to actually get them, but just get the study materials and learn.....

  • Joe SplitrockPro Member
    Moderator
    Rental Property Investor · Sioux Falls, SD · Member since 2015 · 9k+ posts · 18k+ votes
    4y

    Now is the best time in history to earn income. You should be picking up side hustles and saving up for a down payment. Then you should buy to house hack. Don't look at properties until you are ready to make offers. Stop dreaming and start hustling. The world is filled with people who want to be investors.

  • Member since 2021 · 217 posts · 190 votes
    4y

    Do you want to go through the school of hard knocks? Then go "take action" while learning along the way. Some will advocate that. I would not.

    Otherwise, you'll have to get educated to the point you can trust yourself to vet deals without depending on others, and ignore the people peddling you crap. That also goes for the myriad of gurus looking to help you by taking your money in exchange for publicly available information.

    Then you'll also need capital. Many start out using their own, but whats not really being brought to daylight enough on BP is the fact that at some point, to grow, you'll need to use other peoples- at that point you may find yourself looking into becoming a guru, Realtor, or syndicator. Do you want that?

    Just keep in mind, that 7 year plan to your first million that Brandon Turner teaches and preaches here on BP, might not be so feasible anymore if this market is your starting place.

  • Austin, TX · Member since 2019 · 5k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    4y
    Originally posted by @Josh Baxter:

    Hey everyone! Recently I had a sort of epiphany where I wake up and get stuck with life stagnating. I want to improve that aspect in my life as a real estate investor, but I have no deals around my belt or connections to begin with. I’ve been reading books and listening to BP podcasts like crazy! And I’ve gone to look at a few properties that could be rented just to gain some experience. But still I get stuck with not knowing what to physically do with my time other than learn. I’m finishing up school, and I work part time waiting tables.I’m in the Indianapolis, IN area and am open to internships and other things that I may have to dedicate significant amounts of time to. But what’s some skill or process that I could polish to provide value to someone looking to teach me? And how would I go about improving that? Thanks. 

    Hi Josh,

    To be a landlord (Like Fred Mertz--I Love Lucy, or Mr Furley, or Mr Roper-- 3's Company)

    Get a 2nd job save up ALL of the money until you get to (at least) 30% (or more) of the purchase price of an investment property.

    (Or house Hack a Duplex, Tri or Quad with 2.5% down -- if you area has these)

    Then Get pre-approved by a lender for $X, find a rental that makes sense (for the amount of work you want to do on it) and make an offer.

    If you are successful with your offer get a renter in there ASAP--Positive cash flow ASAP.

    In your extra time while working 2 jobs study up on what you need to learn to do this.

    Reading books for 2 years alone will not replace working a 2nd job for 2 years....(priorities) b/c CASH IS KING!

    For instance Josh with $50,000 (or more) in his bank account can be an investor, Josh with $1500 in his bank account will probably find it hard going.

    You need a down payment, some operating cash, a loan and the knowledge of how to do it. 

    Just my 2 cents.

  • Bruce WoodruffPro Member
    Contractor/Investor/Consultant · San Diego / Phoenix · Member since 2021 · 12k+ posts · 15k+ votes
    4y

    @Scott Mac is right.....all the learning in the world will just make you a smart wanna-be.... You do need cash and/or a job that makes you someone that people want to loan money to. The nice thing about money is you can start tomorrow. Get a job, any job, and put away that $$

  • New to Real Estate · Indianapolis, IN · Member since 2021 · 2 posts · 0 votes
    4y

    Thanks for all the feedback! Rn I try and send about 70% of what I make to TD Ameritrade where I'm selling options contracts to generate extra income, in hopes of funding a downpayment. I only have about 10k in there so far though, and the market is starting to move sideways in terms of stocks, so Ill have to grit my teeth and put in some extra hours for that down payment. Thank you to everyone who has responded, and I appreciate everyone who will provide me even more of their wisdom <3.

  • Lagrangeville, NY · Member since 2017 · 144 posts · 218 votes
    4y

    @Josh Baxter.. the first actionable thing you can do is cross NY and CA off your investment location list

  • Tim DelaneyPro Member
    Buffalo, NY · Member since 2018 · 790 posts · 530 votes
    4y

    @Josh Baxter Indy is a hot market, find an investor that is in need of an intern and learn by working with him/her. There are also lots of people investing in Indy that are not located there. They may need help with boots on the ground sometimes.

  • Phoenix, AZ · Member since 2021 · 504 posts · 282 votes
    4y

    Start getting your financial situation in order. SAVE...SAVE...SAVE and start working with a lender to understand exactly what you need in order to purchase that first investment! 

    I can't speak for everyone here, but I was certainly no investment expert when I had my first property in late 07/early 08. It was my primary residence, in a soft (or almost non-existent) market, that I didn't want to lose money on. I have had the benefit of spending my career in REI/Financial Services, but I still learned some hard lessons along the way. Just make sure you can work the numbers on a deal. Being able to analyze a deal is crucial.

  • Bruce WoodruffPro Member
    Contractor/Investor/Consultant · San Diego / Phoenix · Member since 2021 · 12k+ posts · 15k+ votes
    4y
    Originally posted by @Brian Zaug:

    @Josh Baxter.. the first actionable thing you can do is cross NY and CA off your investment location list

    Yessir! Add NJ, WA, IL and Oregon to that list.

  • Ryan KellyBusiness Member
    Real Estate Broker · Austin, TX · Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    4y

    @Josh Baxter your first goal is to buy a home for yourself. Step two is get a roommate who pays rent (house hack). You will learn a TON about home maintenance, managing a tenant, and can use that baby step to continue your investing education.

    Ryan Kelly Group - Keller Williams5110 Reviews
  • Bruce WoodruffPro Member
    Contractor/Investor/Consultant · San Diego / Phoenix · Member since 2021 · 12k+ posts · 15k+ votes
    4y

    @Josh Baxter You've heard from the pros.....so what are you going to do? Talk is cheap....

  • Investor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2016 · 256 posts · 110 votes
    4y

    @Josh Baxter

    Study and learn the local markets in your area.

  • Real Estate Agent · Sisters, OR · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    4y

    Pay off you debt and save money.  Which is what prevents most would be investors.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.