Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 2 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Goals, Business Plans & Entities
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Lauren Kail
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Huntsville, AL
Votes |
Started LLC out of state, reconsidering that decision, now what?

Lauren Kail
  • Huntsville, AL
Posted Jul 1 2020, 17:19

I started a single member LLC in Utah upon recommendation very early in my real estate journey, probably sooner than I should have. I'm finally going to be "doing business" and purchasing a property to hold this year in Alabama. It is time for my annual renewal in Utah plus Registered Agent fee, and I'm trying to determine if it is a good idea to renew in Utah and register as a foreign entity here in AL when the time comes, or if I should just dissolve it and start a new domestic entity in AL. My concern is multiple state filing fees, multiple returns, etc.

Any advice from a CPA, RE Attorney, or fellow LLC owner would be so much appreciated! Thanks, folks!

User Stats

Votes
David M.
  • Morris County, NJ
Votes |
  • Morris County, NJ
Replied Jul 1 2020, 22:58

@Lauren Kail

Well, firstly there are plenty of threads on bp regarding whether you need a LLC for asset protection, especially if you are just starting out. I'm in the camp that the overhead isn't worth it for long term rentals anyway... I maintain one for my flipping and another for my consulting...

But, why did you start one in UT? I though WY was the better one in the West coast area for anonymity? If you are trying to use it for anonymity, don't register it anywhere as a foreign entity. If you do, then your "anonymous" LLC is subject to the policies of this other STate. Weakest link principal here... Younhave to start another one and make the UT LLC be the owner of this new LLC. That will protect your anonymity... then, funds will have to transfer from the new LLC, to your UT LLC, then finally to you. You have to follow the lines of privity to maintain your corporate veil.

If you aren’t doing anything in UT and the state policies aren’t helping you, then you probably don’t need it. As you probably know, you need to have the legal entity in question recognized in the State you are operating in case you have to go to court. If you never have to go to court then it really doesn’t matter (to my understanding for passive real estate investments)

I hope this helps. Ask if there is anything else. Good luck

User Stats

Votes
Sean Morrison
  • Attorney
  • Slidell, LA
Votes |
  • Attorney
  • Slidell, LA
Replied Jul 3 2020, 09:32

Disclaimer: I am an attorney, but I am not your attorney. This is not legal advice, just friendly information.

As a general rule, real estate holding LLCs should be created in the same state as the property. While some states have better protections than others, when it comes to real estate courts only want to recognize local protections. If you want your Utah LLC as a holding LLC, you could do that, but it's just more paperwork.

Baselane logo
Baselane
|
Sponsored
The Easiest Way to Save 150 hours & $5,000 / year Stop the busy work and start growing your RE business with market leading APY & automated finances

User Stats

Votes
Deborah McDonough
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Huntsville, AL
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Huntsville, AL
Replied Jul 6 2020, 08:01

@Peter McDonough, thoughts? You've owned several LLC's.

User Stats

Votes
Peter McDonough
  • Huntsville, AL
Votes |
  • Huntsville, AL
Replied Jul 6 2020, 08:25

Get rid of it, and replace with an umbrella insurance policy.

Your single member LLC will not provide asset protection. It's pretty easy to pierce the corporate veil and go after your personal assets. Additionally, the LLC ownership of your rental property will increase the lending and reserve requirements for the property, meaning the investment will be less profitable, while filing the additional tax return for the LLC and ensuring the LLC has adequate cash flow to stay solvent while simultaneously trying to not intermingle personal and LLC funds to uphold the asset protecting capability of the LLC is a whole lot of hassle. The umbrella policy is a couple hundred bucks, and if you get sued, the insurance company is incentivized to hire a lawyer to protect you and keep them from having to pay out a large settlement.

User Stats

Votes
Calvin Ozanick
Pro Member
  • Property Manager
  • Janesville, WI
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Property Manager
  • Janesville, WI
Replied Jul 6 2020, 10:12

Most of my clients will start LLC's in the state where they are purchasing property. This way, each state has been filed in the state which these people own properties. Much less confusion from the get-go.

User Stats

Votes
Lauren Kail
  • Huntsville, AL
Votes |
  • Huntsville, AL
Replied Jul 6 2020, 11:07

@Peter McDonough Would I still be able to take advantage of tax deductions from ordinary and necessary business expenses without having an LLC, but simply by owning investment properties?

User Stats

Votes
Lauren Kail
  • Huntsville, AL
Votes |
  • Huntsville, AL
Replied Jul 6 2020, 11:09

@Peter McDonough Also, which insurance company would you recommend for umbrella policies and why? Thank you!!

User Stats

Votes
David M.
  • Morris County, NJ
Votes |
  • Morris County, NJ
Replied Jul 6 2020, 11:10

@Lauren Kail

Yes. A LLC doesn't actually change anything for tax purposes. Its really just for asset protection. In fact, if you are a single member LLC the IRS considers you a "disregarded entity." This means for tax accounting purposes they don't see an additional entity. There is no separate tax return to file. You just file SchE for your rentals (or SchC for other business activities). If you are a multi-member, you file a partnership return which spits outa K-1 form for you to file on your personal return.

Either way, the deductions and everything else are all the same.

User Stats

Votes
David M.
  • Morris County, NJ
Votes |
  • Morris County, NJ
Replied Jul 6 2020, 11:13

@Lauren Kail

Since I have my rentals in my personal name, I just get the umbrella coverage from my "regular" insurance company.  Only because they would cover 3 max rental properties, I went to an insurance broker to get the individual policies for my additional rentals.  I don't know about other States, but the coverage form docs deem to be pretty well standardized.  So, it becomes cost / convenience / customer service.  I prefer the latter two over trying to save a few bucks shopping around.

User Stats

Votes
Peter McDonough
  • Huntsville, AL
Votes |
  • Huntsville, AL
Replied Jul 6 2020, 13:22

Get the umbrella from the same company you have the house insured with, to make management easy.

Deductions/expenses can actually be better, esp if your income is below the IRS limit for such things, or if you or your spouse qualify as a real estate professional.

User Stats

Votes
Lauren Kail
  • Huntsville, AL
Votes |
  • Huntsville, AL
Replied Jul 8 2020, 13:54

@Caleb Bryant

Thoughts?

User Stats

Votes
David M.
  • Morris County, NJ
Votes |
  • Morris County, NJ
Replied Jul 17 2020, 16:29

@Lauren Kail

Do you have any more questions?  Have your questions and/or concerns been answered?

CV3 Financial logo
CV3 Financial
|
Sponsored
Fix & Flip | DSCR | Construction Loans Up to 90% LTV - Up to 80% Cash Out - No Income Verification - No Seasoning Requirements

User Stats

Votes
Basit Siddiqi
Pro Member
  • Accountant
  • New York, NY
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Accountant
  • New York, NY
Replied Jul 30 2020, 20:30

@Lauren Kail

Having an LLC registered within a specific state doesn't necessarily increase state income tax filing fees.

If you live in Alabama and your property is in Alabama. Just because you create an LLC in another state make you have to file a state tax return with that state. 
Most states will only require you to file a state return with their state if there is activity(property, payroll or sales) within that state.

But yes - there may be other reasons for dissolving the LLC in utah and creating one that only does business in Utah.

You can avoid paying for the registered agent fees and the annual LLC upkeep fees.