Structuring a 3 way partnership

Structuring a 3 way partnership

Investor · Abilene, TX · Member since 2017 · 4 posts · 2 votes

Hi all! 

 
I would love to hear your thoughts about structuring a buy and hold mid term rental deal that I am trying to complete using a 3 way partnership.   

My first partner (my parents) would be contributing most of the money, which would be 58% of the total cash required to close and get the property ready to rent.  On the other hand, my second partner would be contributing 21% of the total cash required and I will be contributing the last 21% of the cash required.  

With that in mind, what would be the best way to structure this deal?  The second partner and myself have and will continue to do all of the leg work, while the first partner is essentially a passive investor.  I was thinking that we would split our NET Income according to our contributions (my parents would get 58% and the second partner and I would get 21%). We would do the same as far as splitting up the equity in the home.  Over time, say 10 years, we would then slowly buy out my parents' share so we would all have an equal 33% in the deal. 

This leads me to my next dilemma. We would be forming an LLC for this deal, but from what I understand, the terms on the mortgage would be much better if the loan was conforming and was taken out by my parents under their name. However, they would be carrying a higher risk than myself and the second partner so should they be entitled to a higher percentage of the NET income? Can anyone expound upon the advantages of having the mortgage under the LLC vs. under just one partner's name? Is this arrangement a fair setup or am I missing something here?

Thanks in advance!

0Reply
27 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor/Accountant/Builder · Meno, OK · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 918 votes
8y

I would advise going it alone. Buy cheaper deals until you get your feet wet.

Enid Landlords and Real Estate Investors Association.

See this reply in the discussion

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Columbus, GA · Member since 2016 · 28 posts · 6 votes
    8y

    I too am interested in some experienced insight on this topic. I will be following this thread closely and if I come across anything helpful i will of course share that. Best of luck!

  • Investor · Cleveland, OH · Member since 2016 · 118 posts · 147 votes
    8y
    Eric Albers I will preface my response that I am not an attorney and this is not legal advice. First, you most likely will not get financing through a LLC given the lack of a track record. This does not mean that you can buy the home personally and later move the deed to a LLC. Second, in terms of financing who will be on the note? Back into this - who in the investor group can qualify for the mortgage? You can all co sign the mortgage as well to alleviate concerns around disproportionate risk, but that will complicate paperwork a bit. Third, what is your budget? There could be other avenues towards accomplishing your goal instead of traditional financing with several partners. Fourth, I would recommend that you sit down and agree on buy back terms as the calculations will be more complicated as you go. For example requiring 2 appraisals of the home before you buy equity back. There’s a few things going on here so take your time, think it through, and don’t rush it.
  • Investor/Accountant/Builder · Meno, OK · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 918 votes
    8y

    I would advise going it alone. Buy cheaper deals until you get your feet wet.

    Enid Landlords and Real Estate Investors Association.

  • Rental Property Investor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2015 · 98 posts · 48 votes
    8y
    Who’s handling the day to day? If you are make sure to have all the figures in place too. The operating agreement will help in whatever you and your partners decide and needs to be spelled out fully before any $$ transacts. Based on what you’ve mentioned have there needs to still be an exit strategy built into your agreement. For any partner to leave the group and/or enter. One thing to also keep in mind is the value you play in creating this opportunity going forward. Frankly, I’d keep it simple as possible with straight forward terms. Perhaps in this deal you give more to your parties bc of the risk of the loan but you and your partners will all gain the experience necessary to level up soon enough. As someone more experienced than me once said, “it’s better to have a piece of an investment than nothing at all.” What’s it worth to you?? Ps just theories not a lawyer either.
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.