• Springfield, VA
Votes |
Finding a Registered Agent in Maryland for an LLC created in Virginia

Chris Attiliis
  • Realtor
  • Springfield, VA
Posted Dec 30 2014, 09:44

Hey gang,

I'm wrapping up my first Flip (property I bought in Maryland), which I bought and plan to sell under the LLC I created in Virginia earlier this year. I was told I needed a registered Agent in Maryland. Can someone point me in the right direction as to a particuliar company/service I should use? Any advice would be beneficial.

Thanks!

User Stats

Votes
Bill Gulley#3 Guru, Book, & Course Reviews Contributor
  • Investor, Entrepreneur, Educator
  • Springfield, MO
Votes |
Bill Gulley#3 Guru, Book, & Course Reviews Contributor
  • Investor, Entrepreneur, Educator
  • Springfield, MO
Replied Dec 30 2014, 10:02

You can call just about any attorney, they probably won't charge you, but ask, as it is an opportunity to bill you later if they get any notices. You can change it later as well. :)

User Stats

Votes
Jon Deavers
  • Richmond, VA
Votes |
  • Richmond, VA
Replied Dec 31 2014, 05:15

There are also registered agent services you can find on a Google search that can be an affordable option too (just plug in "registered agent services Maryland" and you'll find a ton) . A registered agent is someone who, among other tasks, primarily makes themselves available to receive documents on your behalf for business conducted remotely. It's typically required for your business entity that is located away from your area of occupation to have a registered agent in case certified (read: legal) documents need to be served and you are not accessible.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Justin Pierce
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Woodbridge, VA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Woodbridge, VA
Replied Dec 31 2014, 06:52

Chris,

I used mycorporation.com to register my Virginia company in MD. It cost me a couple hundred dollars to set up.

You don't have to have a registered agent in MD to operate there but if you do not register in the state then they withhold funds from your sale to ensure you pay taxes.  It's a bit of a pain but it's doable.

Snow Goose Homes LLC Logo

User Stats

Votes
Chris Attiliis
  • Realtor
  • Springfield, VA
Votes |
  • Realtor
  • Springfield, VA
Replied Dec 31 2014, 08:24
Originally posted by @Justin Pierce:

Chris,

I used mycorporation.com to register my Virginia company in MD. It cost me a couple hundred dollars to set up.

You don't have to have a registered agent in MD to operate there but if you do not register in the state then they withhold funds from your sale to ensure you pay taxes.  It's a bit of a pain but it's doable.

Justin,

Sounds about the same as what InCorp is charging me: $100 for the state fee and $150 for their Foreign Qualification Fee.  Plus a few bucks for shipping documents, etc.

Thanks to all who posted, really appreciate it!

User Stats

Votes
Jay Phillips
  • Manhattan, NY
Votes |
  • Manhattan, NY
Replied Dec 31 2014, 08:27

InCorp is free for the first year, when you use their domain freeregisteredagent.com.  After that it's $99/yr.

User Stats

Votes
Justin Pierce
Pro Member
  • Woodbridge, VA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Woodbridge, VA
Replied Dec 31 2014, 08:38

Chris, 

Yeah, that's about right.  I think you're good with what you've got.

Good luck.

Snow Goose Homes LLC Logo

User Stats

Votes
Chris Attiliis
  • Realtor
  • Springfield, VA
Votes |
  • Realtor
  • Springfield, VA
Replied Dec 31 2014, 08:59
Originally posted by @Jay Phillips:

InCorp is free for the first year, when you use their domain freeregisteredagent.com.  After that it's $99/yr.

Jay, Yes this is the route I went!!:)

One final follow up question:

Theres an 8-10 week delay in processing the forms and documents that need to be filed.  of course I can pay $100-150 to expidite this, but is there a valid reason why I would need this to be done ASAP?  Would I need it done before I sell the property I am currently holding in MD?  Or does it make no difference?

User Stats

Votes
Matt Zirpoli
  • Leesburg, VA
Votes |
  • Leesburg, VA
Replied Jun 28 2018, 06:56

I have the same scenario. I was under the impression I have to have a actual address in MD to register my VA LLC there. Is that incorrect?

User Stats

Votes
Chris Attiliis
  • Realtor
  • Springfield, VA
Votes |
  • Realtor
  • Springfield, VA
Replied Jun 28 2018, 07:35

You hire a company such as InCorp for a small yearly fee and they act as your registered agent. They have a physical mailing address in the state and they act as your "location" in the state should anyone need to contact you.  I also heard a friend or family member in said state can be your registered agent but not sure what the qualifications would be and how to file the necessary paperwork.

User Stats

Votes
Matt Zirpoli
  • Leesburg, VA
Votes |
  • Leesburg, VA
Replied Jun 28 2018, 08:47

Thanks for the insight.