Building a portfolio dashboard

Building a portfolio dashboard

Member since 2023 · 2 posts · 1 vote

I've seen posts on here from a few years ago about rental portfolio dashboards, but all seem to be inconclusive or suggest a software subscription to have such a reporting tool. I am planning to build a portfolio dashboard for my properties in Excel, and I have a pretty good idea of what I want to see about them individually and combined. I already have an investment analysis workbook built that tells me everything I need to know to make a purchase decision, NOI, COC, ROI, and if the property will achieve the appropriate coverage ratio to be funded. I've been at this a while and have over 70% equity in my combined portfolio, and I'm over 50 years of age, so I don't look at creative financing options. Fortunately, I just call the bank and tell the address of the property I am under contract on, and when I want to close. So, I don't want to expand that tool beyond what it is today.

1) If anyone out there knows of such a dashboard for a small investor (I have 5 commercial leases and 14 residential), please share the information on where I can buy a template.

2) If any of you are interested in working together to develop this tool, I am happy to meet and build a wish list for features that we can divide up the work and complete it faster.  I suspect I can build this in 6 to 10 hours, but it is always helpful to have another brain on the job. 

3) There is an advanced function I would like to build, but sadly I can't recall the mathematical functions necessary to make the calculations.  I would like a payoff planner that helps me navigate the various maturity dates and interest rates of my (15 due in 5) mortgages so that I gain the best financial advantage when paying down principal balances.  If anyone can point me in the right direction for this math, I will see if I can get it built into this dashboard.

Thank you to any who can provide guidance, insight or want to collaborate. 

0Reply
33 views

Most Popular Reply

Member since 2024 · 17 posts · 6 votes
1y

Hi Will,

Your portfolio dashboard idea sounds like a solid plan! But instead of spending 6–10 hours building it from scratch, you might want to check out Bryt Software.

It has built-in spreadsheet reports that track NOI, COC, and ROI, plus custom reporting options if you need to track any personalized metrics. And if you're stumped on recalling the exact mathematical functions for your payoff calculations, Bryt's Payoff Calculator can handle the math for you.

There are also other options like Stessa and DealCheck, both built for real estate investors. They offer automated financial reporting and dashboards that track cash flow, expenses, and ROI, so you don't have to update spreadsheets manually.

I hope this helps. If you end up building your own, I’d love to hear how it turns out!

See this reply in the discussion

7 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Jaycee GreenePro Member
    Real Estate Consultant · St. Louis MSA · Member since 2024 · 3k+ posts · 727 votes
    1y

    Hey@Will Daugherty! Part of this sounds like a Schedule of Real Estate. Does that sound familiar? I build a lot of similar tools for my CFO clients, so I may be interested in discussing.

  • Scott JohnsonBusiness Member
    Specialist · Greenville, NC · Member since 2019 · 673 posts · 408 votes
    1y

    My thought? Use Real Estate By the Numbers as your guide, make sure it tracks the loan pay down and depreciation and have all of those numbers pour into a Schedule E.

  • Member since 2025 · 1 post · 0 votes
    1y
    Quote from @Will Daugherty:

    I've seen posts on here from a few years ago about rental portfolio dashboards, but all seem to be inconclusive or suggest a software subscription to have such a reporting tool. I am planning to build a portfolio dashboard for my properties in Excel, and I have a pretty good idea of what I want to see about them individually and combined. I already have an investment analysis workbook built that tells me everything I need to know to make a purchase decision, NOI, COC, ROI, and if the property will achieve the appropriate coverage ratio to be funded. I've been at this a while and have over 70% equity in my combined portfolio, and I'm over 50 years of age, so I don't look at creative financing options. Fortunately, I just call the bank and tell the address of the property I am under contract on, and when I want to close. So, I don't want to expand that tool beyond what it is today.

    1) If anyone out there knows of such a dashboard for a small investor (I have 5 commercial leases and 14 residential), please share the information on where I can buy a template.

    2) If any of you are interested in working together to develop this tool, I am happy to meet and build a wish list for features that we can divide up the work and complete it faster.  I suspect I can build this in 6 to 10 hours, but it is always helpful to have another brain on the job. 

    3) There is an advanced function I would like to build, but sadly I can't recall the mathematical functions necessary to make the calculations.  I would like a payoff planner that helps me navigate the various maturity dates and interest rates of my (15 due in 5) mortgages so that I gain the best financial advantage when paying down principal balances.  If anyone can point me in the right direction for this math, I will see if I can get it built into this dashboard.

    Thank you to any who can provide guidance, insight or want to collaborate. 

    Yea, you likely will get a ton of people trying to sell you a software. Given your portfolio size all you need is Microsoft excel or Microsoft power bi. I have a very simple example of a Power BI dashboard for a simple valuation on my website: www.s7analytics.com Take a look at it and feel free to reach out. Happy to give you some pointers if you want to create something like that from scratch yourself. Free of charge. If you would want me to do it we can talk about that as well.
  • Member since 2024 · 17 posts · 6 votes
    1y

    Hi Will,

    Your portfolio dashboard idea sounds like a solid plan! But instead of spending 6–10 hours building it from scratch, you might want to check out Bryt Software.

    It has built-in spreadsheet reports that track NOI, COC, and ROI, plus custom reporting options if you need to track any personalized metrics. And if you're stumped on recalling the exact mathematical functions for your payoff calculations, Bryt's Payoff Calculator can handle the math for you.

    There are also other options like Stessa and DealCheck, both built for real estate investors. They offer automated financial reporting and dashboards that track cash flow, expenses, and ROI, so you don't have to update spreadsheets manually.

    I hope this helps. If you end up building your own, I’d love to hear how it turns out!

  • Investor · Santa Barbara · Member since 2022 · 28 posts · 12 votes
    1y
    Quote from @Will Daugherty:

    I've seen posts on here from a few years ago about rental portfolio dashboards, but all seem to be inconclusive or suggest a software subscription to have such a reporting tool. I am planning to build a portfolio dashboard for my properties in Excel, and I have a pretty good idea of what I want to see about them individually and combined. I already have an investment analysis workbook built that tells me everything I need to know to make a purchase decision, NOI, COC, ROI, and if the property will achieve the appropriate coverage ratio to be funded. I've been at this a while and have over 70% equity in my combined portfolio, and I'm over 50 years of age, so I don't look at creative financing options. Fortunately, I just call the bank and tell the address of the property I am under contract on, and when I want to close. So, I don't want to expand that tool beyond what it is today.

    1) If anyone out there knows of such a dashboard for a small investor (I have 5 commercial leases and 14 residential), please share the information on where I can buy a template.

    2) If any of you are interested in working together to develop this tool, I am happy to meet and build a wish list for features that we can divide up the work and complete it faster.  I suspect I can build this in 6 to 10 hours, but it is always helpful to have another brain on the job. 

    3) There is an advanced function I would like to build, but sadly I can't recall the mathematical functions necessary to make the calculations.  I would like a payoff planner that helps me navigate the various maturity dates and interest rates of my (15 due in 5) mortgages so that I gain the best financial advantage when paying down principal balances.  If anyone can point me in the right direction for this math, I will see if I can get it built into this dashboard.

    Thank you to any who can provide guidance, insight or want to collaborate. 


     Hey Will, there are many tools to which you can go with, some that I've worked with are Lookerstudio, Tablue, and PowerBI these are all great. It's a good way to visualize perfomance and with the correct data sourcing we could analyze competitors or other portfolios with each other. I'm open to discussing further

  • Investor · Santa Barbara · Member since 2022 · 28 posts · 12 votes
    1y

    Hey there, I really appreciate you sharing this — I’ve been working on something similar and would love to collaborate.

    I'm someone who likes being able to toggle between raw data, dashboard views, and the formulas driving it all. I think there's real value in building something that keeps it transparent and flexible, especially for operators like you who already know what they’re looking at.

    Happy to hop on a quick call to brainstorm or even walk through some ideas live. Could be a solid build-out if we crowdsource it right.

    Let me know what works for you — looking forward to connecting.

    —Carlos

  • Rental Property Investor · Denver, CO · Member since 2024 · 13 posts · 8 votes
    1y
    Quote from @Will Daugherty:

    I've seen posts on here from a few years ago about rental portfolio dashboards, but all seem to be inconclusive or suggest a software subscription to have such a reporting tool. I am planning to build a portfolio dashboard for my properties in Excel, and I have a pretty good idea of what I want to see about them individually and combined. I already have an investment analysis workbook built that tells me everything I need to know to make a purchase decision, NOI, COC, ROI, and if the property will achieve the appropriate coverage ratio to be funded. I've been at this a while and have over 70% equity in my combined portfolio, and I'm over 50 years of age, so I don't look at creative financing options. Fortunately, I just call the bank and tell the address of the property I am under contract on, and when I want to close. So, I don't want to expand that tool beyond what it is today.

    1) If anyone out there knows of such a dashboard for a small investor (I have 5 commercial leases and 14 residential), please share the information on where I can buy a template.

    2) If any of you are interested in working together to develop this tool, I am happy to meet and build a wish list for features that we can divide up the work and complete it faster.  I suspect I can build this in 6 to 10 hours, but it is always helpful to have another brain on the job. 

    3) There is an advanced function I would like to build, but sadly I can't recall the mathematical functions necessary to make the calculations.  I would like a payoff planner that helps me navigate the various maturity dates and interest rates of my (15 due in 5) mortgages so that I gain the best financial advantage when paying down principal balances.  If anyone can point me in the right direction for this math, I will see if I can get it built into this dashboard.

    Thank you to any who can provide guidance, insight or want to collaborate. 


     Hey Will, 

    Im actually in the process of building out a web application for these use cases now. My background is in Software and Data Engineering, and am hoping to have a MVP done in the next month or two. Would you be open to having a conversation? I’d love to learn more about your needs and use cases.


    - Robbie

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.