Skip to content
Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions

User Stats

Votes
James Lauer
Votes |
Township changed ordinance rules for Airbnb, HELP!

James Lauer
Posted May 4 2024, 05:39

Hello all,

I wanted to ask for everyone's help for a fairly large problem I am having for a rental I purchased. I purchased a duplex at a shore town in NJ. My township has changed the ordinance to 30 day MINIMUM for rentals. Although I can still get rentals for 1 month at a decent premium, it is not anywhere close to how much I can make through STR like airbnb/vrbo etc. Essentially my bottom line will likely be effected nearly 30-40% because of discounts I will have to give for longer stays.

I guess my questions are the following:

1. Has this happened to you? What did you do ? Did you sell, did you just continue to rent and accept fines/penalties, did you shift to mid term or long term rental?

2. Does anyone know if there is a way to remove public reviews on the Airbnb app, essentially the township zoning officer looks for properties in the town with more than a few reviews and that is how she determines if people are still renting the property out on a short term basis. I know this because I own another duplex and have ignored the rules the previous summer.

3. Has anyone hired attorneys or legal counsel to determine if what these towns are doing is actually legal, when it comes to enforcing STR rules?

This whole thing is very upsetting and silly as I see it to be a completely nonsensical rule change and not well thought out by my township.

Sorry if I rambled a bit, ANY HELP, is greatly appreciated!! Thank you so much

James

Loading replies...