Skip to content
Managing Your Property

User Stats

Votes
Michelle Martin
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Los Angeles, CA
Votes |
Any success in suing a property manager?

Michelle Martin
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Los Angeles, CA
Posted Mar 27 2024, 17:03

I am an out of state investor, so I relied on my ex-property manager to do their job, however they were gross negligent. I was left with an excessive water bill ($10k) at my 4-unit property as they failed to fix a water leak, which I complained about once I noticed a spike in the water bill. Once my new management company took over, they inspected the property and noticed the ceiling of one of units was caving in due to a leak from the upper floor. The tenant said she had been complaining for months. The tenant from the unit with the leak supposedly moved out because the leak issue was not being fixed. I was told from the ex-PM that she moved because she bought a home.

The ex-PM lied about doing $6k of rehab work at my duplex. They even sent pictures, but it was not of my property, which I found out once I switched management companies. In fact, there was no work done. At this same property, there is a house sitter that had a lot of police activity (domestic violence, weapons discharged, etc). I was sent a citation for this, so I told the ex-PM to get rid of that house sitter. They insisted the house sitter was a good person and that it was the neighbor's house that had police activity. Well the house sitter is still there and refusing to leave, so now I have to evict him. We also verified that he is the subject listed on the police reports.

There is a long list of other issues. I'm at a $30k+ loss due to this property manager's negligence. I would like to sue and also report the owner (licensed broker) to the state (Wisconsin). Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Loading replies...