Skip to content
Real Estate Deal Analysis & Advice

User Stats

Votes
Rich Weese#2 Off Topic Contributor
  • Real Estate Investor
  • the villages, FL
Votes |
work and thought project for newbies. Please join in.

Rich Weese#2 Off Topic Contributor
  • Real Estate Investor
  • the villages, FL
Posted Jul 12 2010, 08:43

It is always important to be able to analyze properties and potential acquisitions/sales. My belief is most of the profit is made on the buy. I have an opportunity in real life and want to throw it out there. There will be 2 choices on this "assignment" and it'll be a good opportunity for you to do some thinking and "paper trading". I already know what my decision will be, and I'll eventually tell you why. I want you to think for yourself first. Take this as fun.
Scenario- I bought a 64 lot subdivision in So. TX a little over a year ago and have posted the terms on BP.. I made a good deal because I had an exit strategy. I built some 4br rental homes to keep it flowing, AND convinced the City to allow me to gate the 2 entrances and make it a gated community. Values and prices of lots were more than doubled by going gated community with very little cost. I've sold a few lots and built a few presold homes. I just ramped up and have started 4 new Model homes, because the market is really strengthening.
I figured I could completely build it out in 3-5 years. Currently, I can make about 30K per home and that would hopefully increase as the time goes on.(1.5 million at present values GROSS)
Option 2- I just had a very heavy hitter in So. Tx make me a cash offer on all remaining lots. At his offer, I can double my money (600-700K profit) and 1031 to something else. He has a bank in his pocket and likes all the characteristics of this project- City, Schools, proximity to Mexico, price point etc.
Now, those are the choices . What do YOU choose and why. Don't be afraid to respond. Many things could be considered.
1. time value of $$
2. other money making vehicles
3. Etc.
Just jump in with your choice and why. Use all the points you can to back up your selection, kinda like a debate. Rich.

p.s. I'm sitting at a hotel on Ft. Lauderdale Beach and bored for the afternoon, hence the posts!! Tomorrow, back home.

Loading replies...