Pay down mortgage faster or not

Pay down mortgage faster or not

Investor · TX · Member since 2019 · 4 posts · 8 votes

Hey BP Community,

I'll be closing on my 5th single family home investment property in a few weeks. I'm in Texas, in an area where property values have continued to climb steadily since I've been investing over the past 5 years. 

The house I'm buying will be used as a long term rental. After paying mortgage, taxes, insurance, and accounting for vacancy, maintenance, etc. it will be a break-even situation. I know some people are against buying properties that won't have a positive cash flow, but I'm comfortable with it because it is a long-term investment for me. I have a W2 job that pays decently, and my other 4 properties do cash flow. The house is a 4 bed/2 bath in a B neighborhood, conveniently located, zoned to decent schools. 

I'm buying this house with a 30 year mortgage, 25% down, at an interest rate of 7.375%. I'm getting a pretty good deal on the house, about 25k under what it will be worth after it's renovated. The renovations are cosmetic and are estimated to cost about 8k. 

7.375% is a much higher interest rate than the other 4 properties I have, which are all between 3.25 - 4.25%, but I know that's just the situation with interest rates right now, and it may not get better any time soon. 

I'm considering trying to pay down this mortgage faster since the interest rate is a lot higher than I'd like it to be, and if interest rates drop and I'm able to refinance in a couple years, it would be nice to have even less of the principal to refinance on. But then I'm also torn because I want to keep buying properties. I have roughly averaged 1 property per year for the past 5 years, and I'd like to keep the momentum going until I have at least 7-10 doors. 

The way I look at it is that I have a few different options - 

1. Don't pay any extra. 

2. Pay $500 extra towards the principal each month to bring down the principal, and saving about $136,000 in interest over time. This would still allow me to continue to invest in more properties, but it would still take about 12 years to pay off the house if I never refinance.

3. Aggressively pay off the mortgage and save a lot of money on interest. Just for extra context, the house is 190k, but over 30 years at this interest rate it's about 208k of interest. That's kind of hard to stomach, and that in itself could be the cost of another SFH in my area.

I also just despise paying high interest in general, so admittedly part of my reason for considering paying down the new mortgage is for peace of mind. I also realize I've been incredibly spoiled in the past to have gotten interest rates as low as I have.

Obviously I signed up for this mortgage at this interest rate, so I have to accept it for what it is at least for now, but I'm trying to look at all options and make the best financial decision. 

I would love to hear people's opinions about this.

TLDR; pay down a 7.375% interest mortgage, or save the money to put towards buying properties?

4Reply
56 views

Most Popular Reply

V.G JasonPro Member
Investor · Member since 2022 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
2y

I would do what gives you better peace of mind.

See this reply in the discussion

18 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Chris SeveneyBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Investor · VA · Member since 2015 · 21k+ posts · 19k+ votes
    2y

    @Sarah Santa Cruz

    If you have funds and are liquid to cover repairs etc then I would pay it down as it gives you flexibility and exit strategies

    I would not pay down the 3-4% loans as you can invest it and do better but at 7.375% investing to get that return (net) would be historical average so I would say pay it down

    7e investments53 Reviews
  • Denver McClurePro Member
    Financial Advisor · Dallas, TX · Member since 2018 · 659 posts · 479 votes
    2y

    Hi @Sarah Santa Cruz! I wouldn't pay any extra. A good barometer is 8%, which is the market's historic return. So if your debt (consumer or mortgage) is above an 8%, then feel free to pay it down to lock in that return. If you are below 8%, then I'd aim cash at investments.

    However, if you are on your 5th property, then you understand the power of refi's. Chances are you'll want to refi in a few years anyway once rates fall. We typically recommend a 2% gap before a refi, so you might want to aim for a 5.375% rate before speaking with your lender. 

    I would recommend using a calculator to evaluate future rates and determine at what point in time/rate would you cash-flow at a comfortable level (after capex, repairs, vacancy, pm, etc). 

    Feel free to reach out if you'd like to bounce ideas around. 

  • Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    2y

    First things first: How are your reserves. Make sure they are ample.


    Second: what are your alternative investments. Pay down gives you 7.35 percent on your money. Safely. What alternates do you have for investing (AFTER reserves are up to snuff)?  



    Third: If you’re comfortable with your leverage and reserves, etc., and want to expand (meaning the new (in the future) investment returns more than 7.35 percent), consider paying down your most expensive mortgage now, and arranging a portfolio second mortgage (or even first) on all of your current properties to tap the equity in them for your next acquisition.  



    It comes down to this: How quickly and easily do you think you will find your next purchase? If quick and easy, stay liquid, if not, pay down and enjoy a nice rate of return. DO NOT, however, fall into a calendar trap; buy because the math is right, not because you want to keep up some self-imposed pace of expansion and it’s been X days since your last deal.  


    Did I mention ample reserves?

  • V.G JasonPro Member
    Investor · Member since 2022 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    2y

    I would do what gives you better peace of mind.

  • Accountant · Bryn Mawr, PA · Member since 2023 · 409 posts · 321 votes
    2y

    @Sarah Santa Cruz

    Is your primary already paid off?  TX has homestead exemption I believe? 

  • Investor · TX · Member since 2019 · 4 posts · 8 votes
    2y

    @Chris Seveney, @Denver McClure, @John Clark, @V.G Jason - thanks for the responses. These are all great perspectives and it gives me a little more to think about. 

    I have decent reserves, but it wouldn't hurt to build them up a little more before considering paying down the mortgage. 

    And when it comes to alternative investments - I do invest in index funds, as well as some other stocks and a small amount of crypto. The stocks and crypto have honestly blown 7.375% out of the water over the past year, but I have a hard time trusting them more than real estate. But the index funds outperform 7.375% in the long run. That's definitely something to consider. 

    @Jonathan Bock the primary isn't paid off, but we have a 2% interest rate on a 15 year loan with probably 10 years left. We started off with a 30 year at about a 4% interest rate, but we paid the principal down considerably to about 70k, and then refinanced to the 15 year loan at 2%. We do have the homestead exemption so are taxes are reduced, although still pretty high. Property taxes in TX seem to be on the high side from what I've seen, but could be worse. I don't see a reason to pay down the primary with that low of an interest rate, but maybe there's a reason I'm not thinking of. We're also considering buying a different house for our primary in a few years and renting our current primary out. 

  • 12 Penns Trail Suite 138 Newtown, PA 18940 · Member since 2023 · 1k+ posts · 319 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Sarah Santa Cruz:

    Hey BP Community,

    I'll be closing on my 5th single family home investment property in a few weeks. I'm in Texas, in an area where property values have continued to climb steadily since I've been investing over the past 5 years. 

    The house I'm buying will be used as a long term rental. After paying mortgage, taxes, insurance, and accounting for vacancy, maintenance, etc. it will be a break-even situation. I know some people are against buying properties that won't have a positive cash flow, but I'm comfortable with it because it is a long-term investment for me. I have a W2 job that pays decently, and my other 4 properties do cash flow. The house is a 4 bed/2 bath in a B neighborhood, conveniently located, zoned to decent schools. 

    I'm buying this house with a 30 year mortgage, 25% down, at an interest rate of 7.375%. I'm getting a pretty good deal on the house, about 25k under what it will be worth after it's renovated. The renovations are cosmetic and are estimated to cost about 8k. 

    7.375% is a much higher interest rate than the other 4 properties I have, which are all between 3.25 - 4.25%, but I know that's just the situation with interest rates right now, and it may not get better any time soon. 

    I'm considering trying to pay down this mortgage faster since the interest rate is a lot higher than I'd like it to be, and if interest rates drop and I'm able to refinance in a couple years, it would be nice to have even less of the principal to refinance on. But then I'm also torn because I want to keep buying properties. I have roughly averaged 1 property per year for the past 5 years, and I'd like to keep the momentum going until I have at least 7-10 doors. 

    The way I look at it is that I have a few different options - 

    1. Don't pay any extra. 

    2. Pay $500 extra towards the principal each month to bring down the principal, and saving about $136,000 in interest over time. This would still allow me to continue to invest in more properties, but it would still take about 12 years to pay off the house if I never refinance.

    3. Aggressively pay off the mortgage and save a lot of money on interest. Just for extra context, the house is 190k, but over 30 years at this interest rate it's about 208k of interest. That's kind of hard to stomach, and that in itself could be the cost of another SFH in my area.

    I also just despise paying high interest in general, so admittedly part of my reason for considering paying down the new mortgage is for peace of mind. I also realize I've been incredibly spoiled in the past to have gotten interest rates as low as I have.

    Obviously I signed up for this mortgage at this interest rate, so I have to accept it for what it is at least for now, but I'm trying to look at all options and make the best financial decision. 

    I would love to hear people's opinions about this.

    TLDR; pay down a 7.375% interest mortgage, or save the money to put towards buying properties?

    Really depends on how liquid you are and what the cashflow is to feel comfortable or if you’re saving for the next property . Your accountant/cpa will be the best person for to advise 
  • Property Manager · Leominster, MA · Member since 2022 · 103 posts · 50 votes
    2y

    @Sarah Santa Cruz

    You are doing awesome!!! I would not pay down the mortgage, I would continue buying property.

    1. Mortgage interest is tax deductible, paying down principle is not

    2. Appreciation compounds

    3. Depreciation is tax deductible

    If you factor for deductions and account for inflation your upside on new assets is greater than the interest you will pay.

  • Lender · Fort Lauderdale, FL (Lending in FL CT GA MI PA) · Member since 2022 · 470 posts · 349 votes
    2y

    If you are still growing your portfolio, I would not pay down the mortgage. Save that cash for reserves and the down payment on your next property. If/when rates drop in the future you can always refinance. 

  • Theresa HarrisPro Member
    Member since 2019 · 15k+ posts · 11k+ votes
    2y

    Peace of mind is important. Interest rates may go down a bit, but I don't think we will see the kind of rates we've had a few year back. Do you still have room in your DTI ratio to buy another house if you wanted and are your reserves adequate?

    Why not pay an extra $500 a month (option 2) and if you change your mind down the road, it is easy to stop the extra payments.

    There are lots of ways to invest and you need to find what works best for you.

  • Rental Property Investor · East Wenatchee, WA · Member since 2014 · 10k+ posts · 16k+ votes
    2y

    If I was still in the portfolio expansion phase, this is borderline,  but I'd lean towards stacking savings in a 5% money market acct.  You can always pay it down in chunks later. 

    If in capital preservation phase, pay it down.  My accelerate min rate today would be right about where you are, a little over 7%.   When cash was earning nothing, I was happy accelerating 6% mortgages.  

    It's all about alternative risk-free yields and what phase of your journey you are in. 

  • Denis PonderPro Member
    New to Real Estate · Yuma, AZ · Member since 2023 · 280 posts · 246 votes
    2y

    I'm trying to grow my portfolio, so my money is spent either on new properties, or upgrading existing one's.  I'll look at paying them off when I have gotten to the point where I'm done expanding.  Or, at least I want to slow down with expansion.  I want time to work in my favor, which means I need to buy sooner than later.  There are a lot of energy and resources that go into getting the snowball rolling, so that's what I invest in right now.  In 10 years once the snowball is really picking up speed, I can start to look at different options.  If you find more value in having paid off properties, that should absolutely be your focus.

  • Residential Real Estate Broker · Paia, HI · Member since 2016 · 479 posts · 311 votes
    2y

    Don't pay it down. You said yourself you're able to get higher returns on cash in index funds. 

    There's a great book on this subject called The Value of Debt in Building Wealth that debunks the obsession with paying off mortgages early, which makes no financial sense.

  • Cam SchwartzBusiness Member
    Lender · Chicago, IL · Member since 2024 · 102 posts · 48 votes
    2y

    Hi Sarah, congrats on the momentum and progress to date!

    One variable you might consider is allocating more to the down payment, perhaps up to 30%. If you're breaking even at 25%, this should provide positive monthly cash flow with less principal accruing interest. Further, you won't need to rely as much on appreciation and rate cuts to improve the cash flow situation.

    As others have pointed out, you can't overstate peace of mind. Clearly you're versed in numbers and assessing alternatives so surely you'll identify the optimal path!

  • Realtor · Austin, TX · Member since 2019 · 69 posts · 28 votes
    2y

    Hi Sarah Santa Cruz! Everyone here has provided some great advice and ultimately it's what would help you sleep at night. If your looking to pay down your home though, I would look into using the shred method. It's essential using a loc and applying it on your mortgage and recasting it after a chunk of it is paid down. This will free up a significant portion of your monthly payment in which the difference would be applied towards your loc, plus you could potential pay down your home as little as in 5 years or so. Well, depends on how aggress you are with it. But its an alternative option for you. 

  • Ned J.Pro Member
    Investor · Manteca, CA · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    2y

    If you are still wanting to expand your portfolio then don't pay extra towards the mortgage until you have enough capital and reserves to buy your next property. 

    The average return of 8-10% vs the 7.375% interest rate isnt a very big "split" ....so its tempting since paying off the 7.375% loan has no risk vs the other investments do. Yeah Index funds and crypt etc are WAY above the 8-10% but we all know that wont last forever

  • Member since 2024 · 1k+ posts · 351 votes
    2y
  • Alecia LovelessPro Member
    Member since 2019 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    2y

    @Sarah Santa Cruz I’ve read several times that even just making one extra mortgage payment per year cuts about 7 years off the length of a 30 year mortgage.

    I’ve been making extra payments on my mortgage that has the highest interest, about 6.75% compared to my others that are in the 4% range.

    I’ve had a slight shift in my investment life and will be making less extra payments as I move forward and continue trying to scale.

    It’s all a matter of personal preference really and what you feel most comfortable doing.

    $6000/year likely doesn’t get you into another investment but it adds up over time.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.