Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
General Real Estate Investing
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Frank Oudheusden
  • Investor
  • Philadelphia, PA
Votes |
The story of my first deal...

Frank Oudheusden
  • Investor
  • Philadelphia, PA
Posted Mar 4 2013, 21:12

I saw a SFH listing pop up late on a Thursday afternoon, I forwarded it to Mark (a realtor, property manager, mentor I've been working with in my target area). Later that evening Mark returned my call while I was the metro into downtown Washington DC to see a friend play a concert at a local bar. I decided to pursue it knowing full well that if it panned out I was going to have a hectic evening.

Sure enough, Mark visited the property immediately and I was walking on the street listening to the play-by-play of each room. I did a quick fundamental analysis in my head and all the numbers seemed to work out and we proceeded with a bid. Mark drew up the paperwork fast as I scrambled to find a FedEx/Kinkos 5 blocks from the bar. I was in the middle of doing the paperwork when BAM! the store manager informed me it was closing. He told me where I could find a 24/7 branch and my fiance, roommate and I proceeded to walk the 15 blocks to the next FedEx/Kinkos. It was during this long walk that I began to freak out. Everyone tells you that the first deal will make you sick despite the fact you have comfort in knowing that the math works. Was I really going to put in a full-priced, no contingency (except financing) offer on a house I didn't even see pictures of...in the middle of the night...in a smelly FedEx store? I made a call to another investor and he confirmed my math was good and reassured me that it was worth the shot. I completed the paperwork despite having the internet machine eat my credit card (a serious meltdown moment).

We grabbed a cab and made it back up town with 10 min to spare before my friends band came on.

The next day I was informed the deal was done and we took it down! Most of the conservative variables we used to analyze the property are coming in better than expected and the returns should be solid. I got that initial boost of confidence most newbie investors strive for, the decisions I made were based on months of reading, asking questions, making spreadsheets and analyzing properties in that market.

The best thing I could take away from this experience is that sometimes being ready to pull the trigger is a lot more than just over coming the initial fear of bidding; sometimes it's about being prepared to do whatever you need to just to have that opportunity.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

SFH - 4BR/1.5B - 1300sqft
Purchased for $49900 (30 fixed - 20% down) [rentable condition as-is]
Rent Comparable - $1150/month
10% property management
8% vacancy
15% repair/maintenance
$400 insurance
$2300 taxes
$5k rehab

Estimated Cash Flow - $358/month pre-tax
Estimated Cap Rate - 13%
Estimated Cash-On-Cash Return - 17% (includes estimated down payment, closing costs, reserves, llc formation, rehab)
Estimated Full ROI - $23% (tax write-offs, mortgage pay-down)

There is probably some captured equity in there too. A 10% cap valuation would put this property at $65k.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Now onto learning about LLCs and actually closing this thing.

Special Thanks to Mark.

Loading replies...