Skip to content
Buying & Selling Real Estate

User Stats

Votes
Ryan Earl
Votes |
Selling our house - investors or realtors? (Please Help!!)

Ryan Earl
Posted May 8 2024, 13:35

Hi there, I need advice and I thought what better of a place to ask than a place dedicated to the type of people I (think) I should be trying to find (to buy our property). This is not an ad (and please let me know if I’m violating any rules, and I’ll adjust accordingly!), but we are in a situation & desperately need some help/advice.

Basically my question is: Given our situation (which I’ll state to come), would you guys recommend we go about trying to find investors to buy our property, or go about things the traditional route and find a realtor? And, if we do wish to go about finding investors, how do we?

Our situation: My father is a cancer patient, and I am a permanently disabled adult in my 30’s that is in severe chronic pain after a workplace accident. Both of our medical needs (and costs) have resulted in us needing to sell our house. We have a property we very much want to buy where the low utility/property tax bills would allow us to be able to thrive living in with our limited income, so we are hoping to sell immediately. However, we are afraid that our dream property won’t be around if we take the realtor route and wait who knows how many months before it sells.

I suppose where you all can be of assistance (and thank you so very much… I’ve never heard of bigger pockets until today) We have a super unique house to sell. We own all our equity. And we had an investor who sent a piece of mail asking to buy land from us, which we said “yes, we were about to work with a realtor in about 2 weeks, but if you could get things done faster for us, we’d love to work with you if you could take care of all the issues that come with the house”. They agreed, including them paying all closing costs, and we had set a price in the lower 400ks… I asked for more money, which they obliged to add about 10k to, but just today they said their partner pulled out. The main investor still wants to go through with it *if* they can find someone to go in half’s with them, but I’m afraid they won’t be able to find someone to go in with them in time.

Here’s some more info, if it makes a difference, so you could give more spot on advice: the house is extremely unique in California, three hours east of SF in the Sierra Nevada mountains & and was built by a bridge maker as his own residence back in the 60’s, so it’s one of a kind. Zillow says it’s worth over 500k, but there are things wrong with it:

The pellet stove needs a new tiny door to work, two sliding doors are off kilter, needs some cleaning and the deck could use painting. Septic may or may not need help (not sure, but it works great as of now). 3 feet of leaf gutter got bent from a falling branch. May need new carpets in bedrooms (or just steam cleaned). One of the cheaper shed doors needs replacing…

However, it’s a dream house in a dream area (25 minutes to dodge ridge ski resort) and was our dream home because of how perfect it was for us at the time. It was a very successful AirBnB before we bought it. We just can’t afford to live here with our medical bills that aren’t covered under Medicare/medi-cal (California’s Medicaid).

Should we try to find an investor, or should we wait out (likely missing out on our dream property) and go for a realtor? I mean… Would we even get THAT much more in the end with a realtor, given that (as I understand it), most investors pay all closing costs and we wouldn’t have to pay a realtor fee?

Here is what it used to look like when we bought it:

https://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/20636-Hekeke-Ln_Mi-Wuk-Village_CA_95346_M10713-53953

here is like… “market research” I did by seeing what similar houses sold for within the area in the past couple months… although some are lesser square footage than ours. Our house is 2,776 square feet, has 4 bedrooms and 2 baths…

https://postimg.cc/gallery/ppzpdgs

Given all that, what would you guys recommend?

And thank you so very much for any advice. Again, if this violates any rules I’ll change it! I really appreciate any advice from the investor thinking side of things. We are just… at our wits end currently …. and just want to be done with this stage in our lives, yet we are running blind here…

Ryan

Loading replies...