Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here
Out of State Investing

User Stats

Votes
Carlo D.
Pro Member
  • New to Real Estate
  • New York
Votes |
Financing question for out of state rentals

Carlo D.
Pro Member
  • New to Real Estate
  • New York
Posted Jul 2 2024, 13:15

I'm thinking of buying my first out of state rental. Quick question.. if I just incorporated, on what basis would I apply for a loan on? Would it be under the business tax id number which would be brand new (so no history yet) or would it be through me personally through my own credit report/history? What if I have a partner in the business? Thank you in advance.

User Stats

Votes
Doug Smith
  • Lender
  • Tampa, FL
Votes |
  • Lender
  • Tampa, FL
Replied Jul 2 2024, 20:04

If you want to buy in the name of the entity, that is fine, but they will also pull your credit and the credit of any significant partners you have. You said "incorporated". I assue S-Corp? You'll want to gather up the Articles of Incorporation, The Bylaws (signed and executed), The Certificate of Standing, and the IRS SS-4 form where you got your Tax ID. You'll also want to register that entity in the State in which you plan to buy property. It will be under the Tax ID,but they will need your (and any other significant owner of the entity)'s social security number and probably a personal financial statement on each of you. They'll want your last 2-3 months of bank statements, your IDs, and property information such as insurance. Tell me more about the property you you're seeking, where you're looking, and what your goals are. Perhaps we all can help guide you. 

User Stats

Votes
Patrick Drury
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH & Cleveland OH
Votes |
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH & Cleveland OH
Replied Jul 3 2024, 05:03

@Carlo D.
If you are buying a property in an LLC the loan is going to be some type of non-qm or DSCR loan. Something to keep in mind is the rate is higher with these. Check the forums for the debates on buying in your personal name and quit claiming it to LLC after closing. This is an option, but it's not for everybody. If you do decide to do it you can get better rates on conventional loans.

Baselane logo
Baselane
|
Sponsored
A new type of banking built for RE investors BiggerPockets Prefers Baselane The #1 Real Estate Banking platform trusted by over 40k landlords.

User Stats

Votes
Samuel Diouf#2 New Member Introductions Contributor
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH
Votes |
Samuel Diouf#2 New Member Introductions Contributor
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH
Replied Jul 3 2024, 12:29

It would all depend on what loan you're trying to get. Would you want a conventional loan that will be based on your credit and debt to income ratio, or do you want a DSCR loan solely based on the deal you have? If you want conventional, you'll have to buy the deal in your name.