Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 2 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Out of State Investing
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Jamall Lynch
  • Investor
Votes |
Startup Capital Required In Dayton

Jamall Lynch
  • Investor
Posted Jun 15 2024, 11:02

Good afternoon BP family, I'm a newbie that is going to invest in the Dayton, Ohio market. I'll be investing out of state and I'm looking to acquire a turnkey duplex at a cap price of $100K. I've already made some calculated evaluations in terms of the expected operating expenses, the mortgage, closing costs, and a 20% down payment. My hypothesis is that I should be putting aside around $33K to cover the down payment, closing costs and about 6 months of reserves for PITI. Is there anyone in this market that can give me idea of how much I should have tucked away to make a deal like this happen? I'd greatly appreciate it!

User Stats

Votes
Tyler Everidge
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
Votes |
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
Replied Jun 15 2024, 13:03

Hey Jamall, I'm an investor and agent here in the Dayton and Cincinnati, OH markets. If you don't plan on occupying the property you will likely have to put down 25%. Typically closing costs are around 1.5-3% of the purchase price depending on buy down points, tax proration, etc. Although you can get those wrapped into the loan by making an offer with seller closing credit. 6 months of reserves is a very comfortable cushion to have. Feel free to reach out if you would like to discuss more about the market or a specific property. 

User Stats

Votes
Jamall Lynch
  • Investor
Votes |
  • Investor
Replied Jun 15 2024, 13:20

Thanks Tyler, I really appreciate the response. This is some great information.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Carlos Scarpero
Lender
  • Lender
  • Dayton, OH
Votes |
Lender
  • Lender
  • Dayton, OH
Replied Jul 7 2024, 14:03

Varies a lot with credit score and experience. Feel free to PM me for a more detailed answer

• Lender Virginia (#1674385), Arizona (#1674385), Tennessee (#1674385), Alabama (#1674385), Florida (#1674385), Texas (#1674385), Indiana (#1674385), Kentucky (#1674385), and Ohio (#1674385)

Home Loans by Carlos Scarpero, Powered by Edge Home Finance, NMLS #1674385 Logo