Absentee list vs. Probate List - Services?

Absentee list vs. Probate List - Services?

Interior Designer/Home Stager · Dallas, GA · Member since 2013 · 202 posts · 9 votes

Hi all, I am looking for updated information on list services. I have been researching the forums and see listsource, realtytrac, foreclosures.com, Melissadata, etc. My questions are:

1. Do you all obtain leads for both absentee owners and probates from these services? Can you get both? or can probates ONLY be accessed from your local court? Is there a way to differentiate between the two types of leads?

2. I've read some old posts, looking for the LATEST consensus on these listing services. At one point, listsource was great, now not so much??

3.Is there a way to pull pre-foclosures, absentees and probates from one source listing company?

I would appreciate EVERY one's input! Michael Quarles, Sharon Vornholt, @K. Marie Poe, What are you're thoughts! :)

0Reply
136 views

Most Popular Reply

Goshen, KY · Member since 2009 · 835 posts · 683 votes
13y

Nichole - Don't over think it. Get someone on the phone at listsource and talk to them. You will need to do that anyway to get them to plug in the equity piece. You don't have to commit to buying a list to talk to them.

-Ask how many contacts there would be for a list in these counties: then tell them the counties in your city with this criteria then lay out your criteria:

-Start with out of STATE absentee owners.
-50% equity or more
-I get homes with values between 50K and 225K. This will change with every area. My median house price is about 140K here. You will decide the range. You want mid range houses; nothing too expensive to sell easily.
-I omit bad areas by omitting zip codes in these areas.

Just make the decision to call them today. If you can get a list with 800-1200 names that is a good number to start with.

See this reply in the discussion

54 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Interior Designer/Home Stager · Dallas, GA · Member since 2013 · 202 posts · 9 votes
    13y

    Joshua Dorkin, I can't seem to tag @K. Marie Poe?? Am I doing something wrong! lol! :)

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Bakersfield, CA · Member since 2008 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    13y

    Nichole.

    Please don't be offended however you need to be on BPs calendar.

    To your questions.

    Most lists have separate providers.

    List source is still the leader

    If you call in Monday ill be happy to explain if im not in ask for Norma or Patrick.

  • Real Estate Investor · Audubon, PA · Member since 2009 · 13k+ posts · 8k+ votes
    13y

    Michael Quarles - were you referring to this thread? :)

    http://www.biggerpockets.com/forums/56/topics/77624-biggerpockets-2013-calendar

  • Goshen, KY · Member since 2009 · 835 posts · 683 votes
    13y

    Nichole Gabriel. Most folks still like listsource that I know. You have to ask for the exact type of lead you want ie absentee owner, preforeclosure etc.

    You can't get probates from these listsources. You need to get them soon after the probate has started, so call your local probate court at the first of the week. They will know exactly how you can get them. There services in some areas (not mine) that specialize in probate lists. But, I don't know how reliable they are.

  • Interior Designer/Home Stager · Dallas, GA · Member since 2013 · 202 posts · 9 votes
    13y

    Thank you Michael Quarles! I'll be in touch! I don't have a dynamic budget, but I am ready to use what little I have to start with to get something in the mail!

    n

  • Interior Designer/Home Stager · Dallas, GA · Member since 2013 · 202 posts · 9 votes
    13y
    Originally posted by Steve Babiak:
    Michael Quarles - were you referring to this thread? :)

    http://www.biggerpockets.com/forums/56/topics/77624-biggerpockets-2013-calendar

    Omagosh! Hilarious! ihad no idea what he was referring to Steve Babiak! Michael Quarles, Hilarious, (I think.. :/ ) LOL!

  • Interior Designer/Home Stager · Dallas, GA · Member since 2013 · 202 posts · 9 votes
    13y
    Originally posted by Sharon Vornholt:
    Nichole Gabriel. Most folks still like listsource that I know. You have to ask for the exact type of lead you want ie absentee owner, preforeclosure etc.

    You can't get probates from these listsources. You need to get them soon after the probate has started, so call your local probate court at the first of the week. They will know exactly how you can get them. There services in some areas (not mine) that specialize in probate lists. But, I don't know how reliable they are.

    ok, Thank you Sharon Vornholt! I have checked and the only way to get them is to go to the court house and access a computer they have set up! My hubby just got a job, and so our 1 car is in use every day. His company car should be available by next month, but I was hoping to get started sooner than that. Ok, well, maybe absentees are the way to go, until then! thanks again! :)

  • Goshen, KY · Member since 2009 · 835 posts · 683 votes
    13y

    Nichole Gabriel. Just start with absentee owners. Here's another idea.

    There should be a legal publication in your area (ask an attorney) that has this info too. You will have to subscribe, but in my area they one that is available. It has lis pendens, probates and all sorts of other legal information, filings etc. Find out how much that is. Once you figure in the time you spend at the coutrhouse, it just might be cheaper in the long run.

    Sharon

  • Interior Designer/Home Stager · Dallas, GA · Member since 2013 · 202 posts · 9 votes
    13y

    Sharon Vornholt, Ok! I sure will!

    Thanks, I will keep you updated!! :D

    n

  • Real Estate Investor · Audubon, PA · Member since 2009 · 13k+ posts · 8k+ votes
    13y

    looks like you can search this page for the word probate and a county name:

    http://www.georgiapublicnotice.com/pages/legal_organs

  • Interior Designer/Home Stager · Dallas, GA · Member since 2013 · 202 posts · 9 votes
    13y

    oh! Thanks Steve Babiak!

    I don't know why i'm so nervous about buying a listsource list, Sharon Vornholt.. but I am :/ In doing research, people have used so many different sets of criteria! {head spinning}

  • Goshen, KY · Member since 2009 · 835 posts · 683 votes
    13y

    Nichole - Don't over think it. Get someone on the phone at listsource and talk to them. You will need to do that anyway to get them to plug in the equity piece. You don't have to commit to buying a list to talk to them.

    -Ask how many contacts there would be for a list in these counties: then tell them the counties in your city with this criteria then lay out your criteria:

    -Start with out of STATE absentee owners.
    -50% equity or more
    -I get homes with values between 50K and 225K. This will change with every area. My median house price is about 140K here. You will decide the range. You want mid range houses; nothing too expensive to sell easily.
    -I omit bad areas by omitting zip codes in these areas.

    Just make the decision to call them today. If you can get a list with 800-1200 names that is a good number to start with.

  • Interior Designer/Home Stager · Dallas, GA · Member since 2013 · 202 posts · 9 votes
    13y

    ok! I'm on it Sharon Vornholt.. matter of fact, right now, before i get too nervous again! LOL! Thank you SOOO much!!

  • Investor · Cincinnati, OH · Member since 2010 · 1k+ posts · 928 votes
    13y

    Sharon Vornholt

    Originally posted by Sharon Vornholt:

    -I get homes with values between 50K and 225K.

    Sharon, where do these list services get "value".

  • Goshen, KY · Member since 2009 · 835 posts · 683 votes
    13y

    David Beard. I think they pull that from the home values. For the equity they must be able to pull from home value vs mortgage balance. I'm not sure how they do it, I just know that they can. You can't get that equity piece by ordering online.

    Sharon

  • Investor · Cincinnati, OH · Member since 2010 · 1k+ posts · 928 votes
    13y
    Originally posted by Sharon Vornholt:
    David Beard. I think they pull that from the home values.

    I'm still not following what you're saying about where the list service obtains the "current market value" of the home. Presumably not from zillow.com, lol. Do the values appear to be accurate when you've reviewed them?

  • Goshen, KY · Member since 2009 · 835 posts · 683 votes
    13y

    David Beard. I'm not sure. You would probably need to ask them, but they seem to be pretty accurate.

    The people at listsource are nice. I would just give them a call.

  • Interior Designer/Home Stager · Dallas, GA · Member since 2013 · 202 posts · 9 votes
    13y

    Ok! Sharon Vornholt, I finally got through this process. I called last week and the guy wasn't much help. He set up my account and sent me on my way! This time, I got an awesome young lady who helped through the entire process, and I was able to go in and refine the search with the criteria you gave me. I now have 727 leads in this search, this is what I did:

    - 4 counties
    - Absentee Owned
    - min. 3 bedrooms
    - SFR
    - 50% to 100% equity
    - $50,000 to $100,000 Last sale price
    - Exclude Trustees and Corporate
    - Mailing address complete

    Did I miss anything?? :D

  • Goshen, KY · Member since 2009 · 835 posts · 683 votes
    13y

    Nichole Gabriel. I think you nailed it. Good luck.

    Sharon

  • Rental Property Investor · Manchester, NH · Member since 2013 · 447 posts · 81 votes
    13y

    Congrats Nichole Gabriel on taking the plunge. I will be joining you very soon! Let us know how it goes!

    Sharon Vornholt instead of doing a screen for equity, could you search for homes purchased before 2002?

  • Goshen, KY · Member since 2009 · 835 posts · 683 votes
    13y

    Sean -

    Some investors use a timeline in their figures. But you will be missing out on a whole lot of recent cash sales or sales where they even put 1/2 down or more.

    This is particularly true for absentee owners. I personally know folks that have lived in their homes for 20-25 years but have constantly refinanced (and used that money for other things), so they don't have much equity. On the other hand, I have bought numerous properties from absentee owners that paid cash for their investment property here. If you are in California, then property in KY, Indiana, TN and a lot of other areas seems dirt cheap to them. They often pay cash or put a big chunk of money down.

    You will miss out on a whole bunch of folks that should be on your list, and you will get a lot of people with no equity using a time factor rather than an equity factor.

    I hope this helps.
    Sharon

  • Interior Designer/Home Stager · Dallas, GA · Member since 2013 · 202 posts · 9 votes
    13y

    Thanks Sharon Vornholt! On to your next blog article about my yellow letter!! LOL! :D

  • Rental Property Investor · Spartanburg, SC · Member since 2013 · 253 posts · 56 votes
    13y

    Sharon Vornholt So do you not put a cut off date for year built or anything like that? What about property type?

  • Goshen, KY · Member since 2009 · 835 posts · 683 votes
    13y

    No I don't Junior. It's all about the equity. Some folks will pay cash for a property then want to sell it a couple of years later. Other's refinance every year or two and pull out the equity. Then they still owe the whole amount 20 years later.

    Sharon

  • Interior Designer/Home Stager · Dallas, GA · Member since 2013 · 202 posts · 9 votes
    13y

    @Steve Babiak and @Sharon Vornholt , :) Can I ask your expertise here? I have done a search at the site you found, Steve! I'm not exactly sure, looking at these legal documents, WHICH are actual probates? I see some "Petition to be appointed administrator" listings? I also see "DECEASED PETITION FOR LETTERS OF ADMINISTRATION NOTICE" and petitions for "TEMPORARY LETTERS OF GUARDIANSHIP ESTATE" ... ok, I officially have no idea what I'm looking for!!! LOL! :D Can anyone help me out here?

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.