What has been your experience with wholesalers?

What has been your experience with wholesalers?

Property Manager · Allen, TX · Member since 2015 · 190 posts · 160 votes

I recently got into a lengthy discussion on another thread about wholesalers and whether they bring any value to the real estate industry or not. I am interested to see what everyone's experience has been with wholesalers.

It has been my experience that for the most part, they bring no real value to a real estate transaction. I have come across wholesalers who quote wildly inaccurate numbers on ARV, repair costs, etc. I have come across wholesalers who straight up lie about what price they are under contract for in order to maximize their assignment fee. It seems to me that a large percentage of wholesalers have no ability to actually close on a property. Many seem to be fresh from a local meetup or guru seminar and they are interested in jumping into the real estate industry with no funds of their own to invest. Their actions strike me as not just operating in a gray area, but tending toward outright deception (especially when it comes to getting a property under contract with an uneducated and inexperienced seller).

A note on definitions- it has been my experience that most people who call themselves wholesalers are doing the following;

1) Getting a property under contract for substantially less than it is worth (when I say worth I don't mean ARV, if the property is distressed or in need of repairs then it is worth some lower amount than ARV, when I say worth I mean the amount that the wholesaler knows they can turn around and sell to their buyer list at quickly and easily)

2) The wholesaler does not disclose what they believe a property is worth to the seller, they take the view that they are just making an offer and the seller can take it or leave it. 

3) The wholesaler uses a contract that outlines all the things they may do with a property (fix and flip, buy and hold, assign, etc) once it is under contract, but in reality is fully planning to assign the contract as quickly as possible. 

4) If they are unable to assign the contract, then they walk away and only give up a sometimes ridiculously low earnest amount (I've seen as low as $25!)

It is entirely possible that there is a large group of people who call themselves wholesalers that this doesn't apply to and if that is the case then I am not referencing you and it is just unfortunate that the people who do act this way call themselves the same thing that you do.

One final note - I am honestly looking for everyone's experiences with wholesalers to gauge if maybe I've just been unlucky in the ones I've come across. I know the temptation will be huge for wholesalers to defend themselves on this thread, but please hold off, I'm not interested in having a debate. If wholesalers do tend to conduct themselves ethically then I'm sure a large majority of the responses here from other people in the real estate industry will support them, I just don't want this to become an unwieldy thread where every wholesaler under the sun feels the need to stick up for themselves. By the same token, I'm not interested in "Ya, wholesalers are bad" posts, I'm really looking for concrete examples from your personal experience.

Thank you all!

7Reply
152 views

Most Popular Reply

Jerry PuckettPro Member
Wholesaler · Fort Worth, TX · Member since 2010 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
8y

All,

Do you think that discussions like these are a pure waste of time and energy? I don't see how this adds any value, and if I am not mistaken, that is the crux of the argument, that wholesalers do not add value. 

Remembering that when one points a finger, there are 3 pointed back at themselves, before I waste another moment, someone please tell me; do all Licensed Agents pass the sniff test, or are there good ones and bad ones as in every other industry? As has been pointed out many, many times, wholesalers exist because there is a space in the industry that needs to be filled. 

Good wholesalers are hard to find. They need more buyers like a hole in the head. People with attitudes go to the end of the line. 

Conversely, bad wholesalers are easy to find. They want every call to be a lead and every lead to be a deal. They are desperate. They do not last long. If a there is a bad wholesaler out there giving you the blues, wait six months....I promise he or she will be gone. 

If a wholesaler does it right, and provides value to the investor in the form of an "off market" property at a great price, then someone is going to cry and say "had to have been predatory". Isn't that a paradox? In this little box, there is no room to win. It's a zero sum game yes? Get a good price, you're a predator; don't get a good price you're worthless.

I can tell bad Agent and broker horror stories all day long, but at the end of the day, my griping is not going to change the industry. Any more than yet another wholesaler rant is going to change a thing on Biggerpockets. 

I can tell good wholesaler stories until the cows come home, but it won't change the mind of someone who already has it made up.

Wow....there's 20 minutes I'll never get back. What was I thinking? 

See this reply in the discussion

42 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Agent · Sacramento/Placer ~ San Francisco Bay Area counties · Member since 2012 · 1k+ posts · 743 votes
    8y

    Waiting for responding wholesalers as well. Let me get my popcorn, pizza, hotdog and suds ready..

  • Rental Property Investor · Durham, NC · Member since 2016 · 7k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    8y
    Without going into excruciatingly painful detail my experience with wholesalers so far has been their “deals” are usually not deals.
  • Katy, TX · Member since 2017 · 372 posts · 140 votes
    8y
    Ok, I’m here. Hope the popcorn is still warm. Sorry I kept you waiting. Yes, the market is full of fresh off the boot camp “wholesalers “ you answered the negative of your own question. Everything else you mentioned is also super accurate. As far as not bringing any value? Ok I can see that. I’m sure most aspiring part time flippers have a cousin with no job solely looking for leads. Or just drop money into already existing list/mailer machines. These are options. As long as there are gurus there will be these kinds of posts. What’s the next question? Why do I coach and why am I different? If I agree, why am I breeding more of these? Because adding value, under me, is what they learn. What else? You could do the marketing and acquisition yourself? Go for it! Subway has their own production and marketing... oh wait, no they don’t. So change the name, lead generating dude/dudette, broker, marketer... I think it’s the name that bothers you
  • Katy, TX · Member since 2017 · 372 posts · 140 votes
    8y
    By the way would love to have you Saturday mornings Starbucks, 6137 N Fry Rd, Katy, TX 77449 7-10am. Come voice your concern in person. There’ll be a group of us
  • Rental Property Investor · St. Petersburg, FL · Member since 2017 · 3k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    8y
    The good, honest ones, add value. The problem is that they are hard to find and if you do find them, it'll take a while for you to get to the top of their buyer list.
  • Katy, TX · Member since 2017 · 372 posts · 140 votes
    8y
    Yup
  • Saint Bernard, LA · Member since 2016 · 16 posts · 22 votes
    8y
    Which is more valuable to rehabber? 1. to have a deal sitting in a rehabbers email for only that rehabber to see 2. Rehabber shopping an over populated mls and attending county auctions getting into bidding wars. Which is more valuable to a seller facing foreclosure in 2 weeks? 1. Living in property for two weeks then moving broke and shot credit 2. A trusting wholesaler contacts said owner agreeing to sell property yielding cash in owners pocket on top of paying off mortgage. (For market value minus maybe 5% for fee.) 3. Owner contacting a trusting agent (if they even willing to do this) for mls listing. If agent sells it’ll be market value then owner paying 6% commissions To say a wholesaler brings no value is ignorance Wholesaler brings value to agents and agents bring value to wholesalers Where I’m from we work together
  • Rental Property Investor · Durham, NC · Member since 2016 · 7k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    8y
    Daniel Phillips all of that’s true if the wholesaler can provide deals. Most of the time the deal isn’t actually a deal.
  • Saint Bernard, LA · Member since 2016 · 16 posts · 22 votes
    8y
    Agree.. but what’s not a deal for you may be a deal to the next. Some rehabber like no less then 13% some like 20% returns it varies. A good wholesaler would know these details. And apologies to the poster for the vent
  • Specialist · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2018 · 47 posts · 37 votes
    8y

    I honestly think that there are two types of wholesalers. The one you mentioned above and another that is more honest. People don't value transparency like they should. Especially when your dealing with the buying and selling of property, full disclosure should be given. It's a respect thing! 

    I also believe that a wholesaler who does not make their intentions known is someone who is afraid that the information may interfere with the sale. In all honesty if you're a good salesman people will want to partake in transactions with you because they like who you are. Numbers do play an important factor, but no one wants to buy ANYTHING from someone they don't trust, not even a piece of gum.

    All in all, I believe the wholesaler adds value to a transaction because in all honesty, investors don't have much time to source leads and nurture them, etc. That's why you have thousands of investors sending out a ridiculous number of letters each week, because they don't have the time it takes to truly nurture a lead so they do what they can with what time they have.

    The wholesaler comes to you with a done deal. Yes it may be more expensive than if you found it yourself, but guess what you didn't find it yourself, because your time is worth MORE than that. You're paying the upsell price for convenience. Find a wholesaler you can trust, not just someone who woke up one day and say "Hey, i'd like to buy property today." 

  • Specialist · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2018 · 47 posts · 37 votes
    8y

    Side Note: I'm not a wholesaler. ( more of a well trained bird dog with actual knowledge) I source the leads and sell them to whoever wants to nurture and make a deal, so i'm on the non biased side of the discussion. lol 

  • Investor · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2015 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    8y

    Around me all the deals are duds. Maybe they work for investors who like the low-income areas. I'll gladly take a lower cashflow return in exchange for easier tenants and stronger appreciation. So the wholesale deals I see are a hard pass just for the location that they are in. @Caleb Heimsoth

  • Investor · Akron, OH · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    8y

    I have dealt with one wholesaler that actually had some deals. The vast majority that I meet are young people that would probably be better served by getting their real estate license. They have zero (or very limited) experience doing construction or making construction rehab estimates so they really don't know what is and isn't a good deal.

  • Specialist · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2018 · 47 posts · 37 votes
    8y

    @Jill F. @Caleb Heimsoth if the wholesaler walked the property with a contractor and had estimates for the house improvements and based their price off of that would that make it easier for you to determine if it was a real deal or not? 

  • Rental Property Investor · Durham, NC · Member since 2016 · 7k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    8y

    @Kelly Conley yes it would probably work better.  Just make sure that includes everything not just part of a rehab 

  • Real Estate Broker · Chicago, IL · Member since 2015 · 122 posts · 103 votes
    8y

    @David Hines

    How are you sir?

    I saw that thread from yesterday you referred to up there. Brutal! Honestly, though, those types of posts are exactly what BP is for: information, education, and from time to time, debate.

    I do agree with you regarding your assessment of wholesalers, as a whole. It is true that most of the wholesalers that I receive leads from are "wholesalers" just marking up other wholesalers fees on the same property and redistributing them - meaning they don't even have the deal under contract, yet they're advertising it as if they do. It's rare that they are educated on rehab costs and selecting accurate comparables, and even more rare to be licensed brokers.

    I've seen the guys who give you the home with the $500,000 ARV that they're selling for $390,000 but it only needs $15,000 in work (that should hardly cover paint).

    Then there are the ones that live in Alabama, yet they're sending you homes in Chicago. You know the ones that have never been to Chicago? Yet they're trying to sell me on a home that they "know" is a deal. Again, most likely found from another wholesaler and then marked up and redistributed.

    The list goes on.

    However, I have had great business relationships with individuals that provided immense value because they brought actual deals to the table. 

    Believe it or not, if you ask any major player out there who's actually flipping properties, most of them will tell you their #1 issue is not raising money, or managing rehabs, or even re-selling the homes after repairs. The biggest issue is keeping their pipeline full of homes that will get them good returns on their money. They'll also tell you that not every deal needs to be a "home run". A couple base hits here and there, and the occasional home run is more than fine.

    So, if any investor does find a great bird-dog, agent/broker, probate attorney, or wholesaler that can provide actual deals, I think that adds tremendous value. Ethics, knowledge, and competency are the only 3 requirements. I don't care who the deal comes from at that point. A deal is a deal - so long as those three requirements are met, of course.

    So:

    My OPINION - lead sources are super valuable. The good ones, at least.

    My EXPERIENCE - most lead sources aren't reliable. The deals aren't steep enough to make an investor profit. Rehabbers have to dig through 100 pieces of trash to find the handful of diamonds in the rough.

    I guess it really comes down to personality. If you can find a good wholesaler, who has the property under contract, who is knowledgable about the market, who's rehab numbers are reasonable, and who's ethical in their dealings, you've got a keeper.

    However, just like sorting through 100 leads to find the 5 good ones, you'll need to sort through 100 lead sources to find the 5 good ones as well.

    Good luck, sir.

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Salt Lake City, UT · Member since 2016 · 211 posts · 174 votes
    8y

    @David Hines For the most part I haven't found many wholesalers who are bringing good deals to flippers (not much agents either but it is a sellers market and I don't have an in for any pocket listing).  In our hot market its more of catering to buy and hold and even then its not that great of a deal.  Where I've found the most success is with other flippers who then assign the contract to someone else because of their large workloads.  

    I'm fine with wholesalers but my biggest suggestions for them are:

        - Learn how to estimate: repair costs, ARVs, selling and holding costs.

        - Learn that they need to put money in escrow to show seriousness to their sellers.

        - I don't mind about their assignment fees as long as I get a big enough profit.  i.e. if I'm making 20k for flip your assignment fee shouldn't be 20k.

    The problem with wholesaling is gurus are stating that it is the method to make money in real estate without having any money, and then the gurus only go over the process not how to accurately or legally procceed wtih the 3 points above which any flipper would love to teach them!!!!

    I also want to add a final not about adding value.  I've seen wholesalers and agents who don't really add any value.

    We've read above how many wholesalers didn't add in any value (thankfully some do have their heads on right)

    I've seen agents who overprice homes that sit on the market while the seller needs to sell right away.  These agents in my opinion didn't add any value to their clients only problems.  Even ones that only represent buyers whole only put them on an electronic email list and say (email me if anything looks interesting)

    Adding value is an important part of the buisness and I have an agent regulary, and pay him his full 3% or 6% if he represents both sides because of the value he provides.  There is a wholesaler who I purchase from because he honestly, is helping people, and has his head on straight when it comes to what I'm looking for.

  • Investor · Memphis, TN · Member since 2016 · 279 posts · 257 votes
    8y

    @David Hines -  I totally understand why many folks don't like "wholesalers".  Unfortunately, many wannabe investors think that starting out as a wholesaler will be an easier/cheaper way to get into the business. (definitely not true!)

    We wholesale and buy from wholesalers regularly in Memphis.  We also only put houses under contract that we can/want to close.   Not only is that the only fair way to do it, it also makes us very selective about what we buy and offer to other investors.

    It is a challenge to find an investment on the MLS so being part of a network of other wholesalers in the area is a must or an investor needs to start doing their own canvassing for off-market properties.

    Also it may come to a surprise for some, but there are people who for whatever reason do not or cannot list their property with an agent.  I feel like we do provide a service for those people and for other investors.  

    We also get calls regularly for people's whose homes should be listed in order for them to get the top dollar for their house and we refer them to our favorite agent.

    There are some amazing wholesalers in Memphis whose deals get snatched up by investors immediately and there are also tons who call or send emails that are obviously new players and have little clue what they are doing.  We usually only hear from them once.

    If people don't want to work with wholesalers, then don't.  It really isn't that big of a deal.  Though you may be missing out on that big of a deal. :)

  • Will GastonPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Columbia, SC · Member since 2010 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    8y

    @David Hines from a purely practical standpoint the model of wholesaling is going to have huge percentage of people who are bad at it. 

    The industry has:

    1) Zero barrier to entry/exit

    2) Promises from others that they will be making tons of money

    3) No regulation

    Not all wholesalers are bad at what they do, but in my experience most are.

    The best/successful ones that I know are the ones that actually purchase the property and do a double close.

  • Member since 2018 · 5 posts · 0 votes
    8y

    I saw that thread @David Hines. I can't speak on having any dealings with a wholesaler as I have never bought a deal from one, but I can say as a past wholesaler myself I tried to bring value to all those involved, the sellers needs where met, and the buyer bought a property that met his portfolio needs. I will agree that there were a lot of new wholesalers running to grab up contracts about the time when I was learning (about 15 years ago) it was frustrating, because deals where hard to come by, and I had to learn that "everything for sale isn't on sale." I was fortunate enough to have a seasoned investor who I brought a deal talk to me and help me really asses good and bad deals. That really helped my business, it really showed me just how narrow or, slim the wholesale deals are in my city. So I think that wholesaler serve a good purpose. With any industry though there will be amateurs, professionals, those that are honest, as well as cheaters. I know that many of us are busy, and have careers, families, and hobbies, and have little time. But I'm sure a new investor/wholesaler who wants to really learn the business wouldn't object to a seasoned investor giving them a little mentoring and helping them dial and fine tune their strategy. You'd help them, as well as teach them what kind of deals your interested in and, they will know what to bring, and what not to bring you. Like reverse-wholesaling. 

  • Jerry PuckettPro Member
    Wholesaler · Fort Worth, TX · Member since 2010 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    8y

    All,

    Do you think that discussions like these are a pure waste of time and energy? I don't see how this adds any value, and if I am not mistaken, that is the crux of the argument, that wholesalers do not add value. 

    Remembering that when one points a finger, there are 3 pointed back at themselves, before I waste another moment, someone please tell me; do all Licensed Agents pass the sniff test, or are there good ones and bad ones as in every other industry? As has been pointed out many, many times, wholesalers exist because there is a space in the industry that needs to be filled. 

    Good wholesalers are hard to find. They need more buyers like a hole in the head. People with attitudes go to the end of the line. 

    Conversely, bad wholesalers are easy to find. They want every call to be a lead and every lead to be a deal. They are desperate. They do not last long. If a there is a bad wholesaler out there giving you the blues, wait six months....I promise he or she will be gone. 

    If a wholesaler does it right, and provides value to the investor in the form of an "off market" property at a great price, then someone is going to cry and say "had to have been predatory". Isn't that a paradox? In this little box, there is no room to win. It's a zero sum game yes? Get a good price, you're a predator; don't get a good price you're worthless.

    I can tell bad Agent and broker horror stories all day long, but at the end of the day, my griping is not going to change the industry. Any more than yet another wholesaler rant is going to change a thing on Biggerpockets. 

    I can tell good wholesaler stories until the cows come home, but it won't change the mind of someone who already has it made up.

    Wow....there's 20 minutes I'll never get back. What was I thinking? 

  • Columbia, SC · Member since 2014 · 133 posts · 190 votes
    8y

    I agree that there are good and bad ones out there - I've personally purchased 2 wholesale deals from a well known guy here in Columbia and we both made money. I agree with someone's point earlier that a lot of times investors don't have time to beat the bushes for great deals (I work a full time job and invest on the side) so there's value added on both sides. I think it's important for the investor to do their due diligence on not only the property but also the wholesaler.

  • Joe SplitrockPro Member
    Moderator
    Rental Property Investor · Sioux Falls, SD · Member since 2015 · 9k+ posts · 18k+ votes
    8y

    @David Hines 

    At a high level a wholesaler is the same as a real estate broker, meaning they connect sellers and buyers. They use marketing, relationships and negotiation. You could argue a real estate broker adds no value too - why not just have the seller and buyer connect directly? I am not arguing that by the way. Anyone who connects buyers and sellers has value.

    Of course there are differences between a wholesaler and broker:

    - Broker has a license, which requires education and testing. Wholesaler may go through private training programs but they are not accredited. In many states wholesaling is illegal because they market houses without a license.

    - Broker has a code of ethics and there is a board that reviews violation requests. There is no uniform code of how to treat people that wholesalers follow. They receive no training on how to legally or ethically deal with people. Only recourse on a wholesaler is to report them to the state. Most sellers are not sophisticated enough to even know how to do this.

    - Broker makes a fixed commission on a sale, generally 3% for buyer side and 3% for selling side. If the seller drops their price, the broker makes less money. In wholesaling a broker makes MORE money when they get the seller to drop their price. Obviously this incentives the wholesaler to minimize the value for the seller - meaning convince them their house is worth the least amount possible.

    - Most brokers in a given market use standardized contracts. This prevents unfair or illegal clauses from being put into contracts. There is typically arbitration clauses and property disclosures to prevent deceptive practices. Wholesalers make their own contracts. Many of which have escape clauses. A wholesaler contract only protects the wholesaler, whereas a broker is using contracts setup to protect the buyer and seller. 

    - A broker markets a property on the MLS opening the market to hundreds or thousands of buyers. A large number of potential buyers helps to secure the highest sales price. A wholesaler is often the only buyer talking to the seller. They work to convince the seller that their property is worth the lowest possible amount.

    - Wholesalers will intentionally target people in desperate situations. They target the homes of recently deceased and the grieving family. They will target older people - usually looking for ones without kids. Kids get in the way of a good deal because they take care of their parents. People in desperate situations are vulnerable. Brokers work with people in these situations, but they are looking to secure highest value for the sellers, so they are working in their best interests.

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Mount Pleasant, SC · Member since 2013 · 547 posts · 235 votes
    8y

    In the past 6 months, I have purchased 3 properties from wholesalers via assignment of contract and I have assigned 4 contracts. I have also purchased from HUD, direct from sellers, and from the MLS using a realtor.

    Wholesaling is the Pareto Principle in full effect. 80/20. 

    80% of wholesalers are not good at their job and 20% are good at their job. Of the 20% who are GOOD at it 20% of THOSE go on to be GREAT. Simple math - 20% of 20% = 4% are truly GREAT wholesalers. This also applies to agents, contractors, mentors, property managers, baseball players, parents, and circus clowns. 

    I am good and hope to one day be great. 

  • Wholesaler · Waldorf, MD · Member since 2015 · 459 posts · 245 votes
    8y

    Great experience! Finished my popcorn.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.