Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here
Wholesaling

User Stats

Votes
Shem Varhaftik
Votes |
Does Multifamily/Commercial zone add value

Shem Varhaftik
Posted Jul 22 2024, 18:07

I made an offer on a property today, but unfortunately, it was not accepted. I informed the seller that I would do my due diligence to see if I could get closer to their asking price. I wasn't unprepared—I had a clear idea of my MAO, ARV, and estimated repair costs. However, the condition of the property was much worse than anticipated, which prevented me from further negotiations.

I have a rough estimate of the necessary repairs, but the challenge is that an investor might see this as either a full gut renovation or a moderately heavy project. This is a single-family home in a commercial and multifamily zone, so I believe that if the right investor obtained this property, it could be acquired at a higher price due to its potential for significantly higher cash flow.

I'm wondering if I can increase my asking price because of the property's zoning potential. If so, how can I attract the right buyer?

User Stats

Votes
Nathan Gesner
Agent
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
Votes |
Agent
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
ModeratorReplied Jul 23 2024, 05:42
Quote from @Shem Varhaftik:

I made an offer on a property today, but unfortunately, it was not accepted. I informed the seller that I would do my due diligence to see if I could get closer to their asking price. I wasn't unprepared—I had a clear idea of my MAO, ARV, and estimated repair costs. However, the condition of the property was much worse than anticipated, which prevented me from further negotiations.

I have a rough estimate of the necessary repairs, but the challenge is that an investor might see this as either a full gut renovation or a moderately heavy project. This is a single-family home in a commercial and multifamily zone, so I believe that if the right investor obtained this property, it could be acquired at a higher price due to its potential for significantly higher cash flow.

I'm wondering if I can increase my asking price because of the property's zoning potential. If so, how can I attract the right buyer?

Are you wanting to flip this property?

You can't seem to justify the current asking price, so how are you going to convince another buyer that it's worth more based on zoning? I agree that's possible, but it appears to be priced at maximum value. I don't see where you can squeeze anything more out of it.

User Stats

Votes
Shem Varhaftik
Votes |
Replied Jul 23 2024, 07:45
Quote from @Nathan Gesner:
Quote from @Shem Varhaftik:

Are you wanting to flip this property?

You can't seem to justify the current asking price, so how are you going to convince another buyer that it's worth more based on zoning? I agree that's possible, but it appears to be priced at maximum value. I don't see where you can squeeze anything more out of it.

Im wanting to get it UC and assign it to an investor who would flip it. 

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
David Ramirez#1 Wholesaling Contributor
  • Investor
  • Tampa, FL
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Tampa, FL
Replied Jul 23 2024, 11:30

It depends on the location and surroundings... 

Are the properties around commercial or multifamily? 

If it's multifamily, is there space to build another unit?