Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here
Medium-Term Rentals

User Stats

Votes
Ryan Daulton
Pro Member
  • New to Real Estate
  • Abilene, TX
Votes |
Are Utilities included in MTRs

Ryan Daulton
Pro Member
  • New to Real Estate
  • Abilene, TX
Posted Jul 22 2024, 19:30

Are utilities included in the rent price for MTRs?  Or do tenants pay for their own utilities?

User Stats

Votes
Nick Zupec
Pro Member
#2 Medium-Term Rentals Contributor
  • Investor
  • Saint Joseph, MI
Votes |
Pro Member
#2 Medium-Term Rentals Contributor
  • Investor
  • Saint Joseph, MI
Replied Jul 22 2024, 19:46

We include utilities at all of our MTRs and I believe that is pretty standard. Someone coming for usually 30-90 days from out of town doesn't want to go through the hassle of figuring out who the providers are, starting service, stopping service, etc. We find that most travelers are looking for something easy and want one price and payment that includes rent, utilities, parking, etc. all in one. We just bake all of that into our monthly rate. There is a section in Furnished Finder that tells if utilities are included or not so you can see if most properties in your market do the same.

User Stats

Votes
Ryan Daulton
Pro Member
  • New to Real Estate
  • Abilene, TX
Votes |
Pro Member
  • New to Real Estate
  • Abilene, TX
Replied Jul 22 2024, 19:48

That makes sense. Maybe that is why the general rule of thumb is MTRs are 1.5 times the cost of LTRs

BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Zachary Deal#1 Medium-Term Rentals Contributor
  • Lender
Votes |
Zachary Deal#1 Medium-Term Rentals Contributor
  • Lender
Replied Jul 23 2024, 09:16

I would recommend including utilities in the MTR. It will make it much easier for everyone and is generally expected to be included in the higher monthly rate (compared to an LTR)

User Stats

Votes
Jamie Banks#2 Medium-Term Rentals Contributor
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Reston, VA
Votes |
Jamie Banks#2 Medium-Term Rentals Contributor
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Reston, VA
Replied Jul 23 2024, 10:07

Utilities are included in MTRs. I recommend setting a utility cap in your lease.

User Stats

Votes
Bonnie Low
Pro Member
#1 Medium-Term Rentals Contributor
  • Investor
  • Cottonwood, CA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Cottonwood, CA
Replied Jul 23 2024, 19:38
Quote from @Ryan Daulton:

Are utilities included in the rent price for MTRs?  Or do tenants pay for their own utilities?

Most often, utilities ARE included. This includes water, sewer, trash, electric and WiFi. I am starting to see more people put a cap on electricity in their lease agreements, though. For example, landlord covers $100/month. Tenant responsible for anything above that. I'm starting to do this as well. Sometimes tenants abuse "free" power by running the AC with the windows open and so on. It doesn't happen all the time, but it only takes getting burned once to want to change your policy. I also offer multiple options. For example: rent is 2300/month which includes utilities. Or $2000/month if tenant puts power in their own name. There are pros and cons to this. One of which is that, in some jurisdictions, having the utilities in their name gives them a stronger argument should you find yourself in a squatter situation. However, that varies state-to-state.

User Stats

Votes
Ryan Daulton
Pro Member
  • New to Real Estate
  • Abilene, TX
Votes |
Pro Member
  • New to Real Estate
  • Abilene, TX
Replied Jul 23 2024, 19:48

Thanks, this is a great idea about a cap!

User Stats

Votes
Nicole Heasley Beitenman
Pro Member
#5 Medium-Term Rentals Contributor
  • Investor
  • Youngstown, OH
Votes |
Pro Member
#5 Medium-Term Rentals Contributor
  • Investor
  • Youngstown, OH
Replied Jul 24 2024, 19:20
Quote from @Bonnie Low:
I also offer multiple options. For example: rent is 2300/month which includes utilities. Or $2000/month if tenant puts power in their own name. There are pros and cons to this. One of which is that, in some jurisdictions, having the utilities in their name gives them a stronger argument should you find yourself in a squatter situation. However, that varies state-to-state.
How creative! Personally, I'm not willing to deal with the headache of constant switching, especially since my market allows me to flip to STR to fill awkward gaps. If I didn't get a switch initiated in time for an STR guest's arrival, I could put myself in hot water.

I wonder if this tactic could still work if you set rent at $2300 utilities included or $2000 with utilities billed separately through RentRedi/Tenant Cloud/Whatever You Use? Then they're still paying the bill but you don't have to deal with multiple account switches every year. That's how I billed my LTR tenants for utilities without actually putting the accounts in their names. Leases stated that rent payments were applied to utilities first and rent second.

User Stats

Votes
Miguel Del Mazo
Pro Member
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied Jul 25 2024, 05:45

We include all utilities with our MTRs, and I expect that is pretty standard. One thing I would add is to include the actual speed of the internet you provide. FF will give a general guide of what your internet speed is, but this is a big draw for working travelers, so be as specific as you can somewhere in the listing.

User Stats

Votes
Ryan Daulton
Pro Member
  • New to Real Estate
  • Abilene, TX
Votes |
Pro Member
  • New to Real Estate
  • Abilene, TX
Replied Jul 25 2024, 06:20

Great idea on the speed

User Stats

Votes
Bonnie Low
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Cottonwood, CA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Cottonwood, CA
Replied Jul 26 2024, 10:31
Quote from @Nicole Heasley Beitenman:
Quote from @Bonnie Low:
I also offer multiple options. For example: rent is 2300/month which includes utilities. Or $2000/month if tenant puts power in their own name. There are pros and cons to this. One of which is that, in some jurisdictions, having the utilities in their name gives them a stronger argument should you find yourself in a squatter situation. However, that varies state-to-state.
How creative! Personally, I'm not willing to deal with the headache of constant switching, especially since my market allows me to flip to STR to fill awkward gaps. If I didn't get a switch initiated in time for an STR guest's arrival, I could put myself in hot water.

I wonder if this tactic could still work if you set rent at $2300 utilities included or $2000 with utilities billed separately through RentRedi/Tenant Cloud/Whatever You Use? Then they're still paying the bill but you don't have to deal with multiple account switches every year. That's how I billed my LTR tenants for utilities without actually putting the accounts in their names. Leases stated that rent payments were applied to utilities first and rent second.

I think that is another great, creative solution, Nicole. I do like it for the reason you stated: not having to switch accounts. To be clear, I only offer that they put the utilities in their name for leases of six months or longer. Switching is a hassle for them or for me. I do tend to look at each situation individually and I do this based on my experience so it might be a little harder for someone new to do. For example, with a single travel nurse I don't worry much about utility usage. She's rarely there and when she is, she's mostly sleeping. These guests never have high utility bills in my experience. A travel nurse with a digital nomad fiancee who is there all the time - different story. A family - yet a different story all together. There's just really no one size fits all and a lot of it is trial and error.