Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here
Medium-Term Rentals

User Stats

Votes
Ryan Kramer
Votes |
Medium Term Rental Guidance

Ryan Kramer
Posted Jul 22 2024, 06:29

I live in a suburb East of Cleveland (Wickliffe). I am considering turning my primary residence into a medium term rental within the next 6-8 months, since it is already furnished. My house is a 1,000 sq. ft. 3 bed, 1 bath, with a detached 1-1/2 car garage, partially finished basement with washer & dryer, updated kitchen, and deck off of the rear. One of the bedrooms on the ground level is currently my office, and I was considering keeping the desk, and buying a monitor & docking station. I also plan on moving the master bedroom (currently upstairs) to the other ground floor bedroom, and making the upstairs bedroom a "guest room."

I am relatively close to hospitals on the East side of Cleveland, as well as other hospitals in other surrounding cities, so I think that I am in a good location for this. Am I on the right track? I have already read 30-day stay, but would like some input from others in the area who have experience. TIA!

Edit: Also, trying to figure out how much to ask for rent. As a long-term, it looks like I could rent for $1,400/month. Looking at Furnished Finder, and I'm seeing comparable properties in the area from $2,500/month up to $3,500/month. I'm thinking of asking for $3,000/month? I could also use some help with finding a cleaner. Any references for that are appreciated!

User Stats

Votes
Bob Stevens
Pro Member
#4 BRRRR - Buy, Rehab, Rent, Refinance, Repeat Contributor
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Cleveland
Votes |
Pro Member
#4 BRRRR - Buy, Rehab, Rent, Refinance, Repeat Contributor
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Cleveland
Replied Jul 22 2024, 07:56
Quote from @Ryan Kramer:

I live in a suburb East of Cleveland (Wickliffe). I am considering turning my primary residence into a medium term rental within the next 6-8 months, since it is already furnished. My house is a 1,000 sq. ft. 3 bed, 1 bath, with a detached 1-1/2 car garage, partially finished basement with washer & dryer, updated kitchen, and deck off of the rear. One of the bedrooms on the ground level is currently my office, and I was considering keeping the desk, and buying a monitor & docking station. I also plan on moving the master bedroom (currently upstairs) to the other ground floor bedroom, and making the upstairs bedroom a "guest room."

I am relatively close to hospitals on the East side of Cleveland, as well as other hospitals in other surrounding cities, so I think that I am in a good location for this. Am I on the right track? I have already read 30-day stay, but would like some input from others in the area who have experience. TIA!

Edit: Also, trying to figure out how much to ask for rent. As a long-term, it looks like I could rent for $1,400/month. Looking at Furnished Finder, and I'm seeing comparable properties in the area from $2,500/month up to $3,500/month. I'm thinking of asking for $3,000/month? I could also use some help with finding a cleaner. Any references for that are appreciated!

How much is will the rent be, look at others. Cleaners, google is your best bet 

User Stats

Votes
Regina Blake
  • Realtor
  • Cleveland, OH
Votes |
  • Realtor
  • Cleveland, OH
Replied Jul 23 2024, 05:41

Hi, as you discussed, I would look up how much rent is in the area where your property is and compare your home to the other homes that are rented for in the area. As you know, honestly you want to stay comparable in order to keep great people renting your nice home. You do not want to entertain short term renters. You got this wishing you the best of luck!

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Zachary Deal#1 Medium-Term Rentals Contributor
  • Lender
Votes |
Zachary Deal#1 Medium-Term Rentals Contributor
  • Lender
Replied Jul 23 2024, 09:18

You could try posting in the classifieds sections of BP for a cleaner but google may be the best bet.

I think $3,000 sounds like a reasonable starting point given the range on Furnished Finder. Have you check Airbnb/VRBO and Zillow?

User Stats

Votes
Jamie Banks#2 Medium-Term Rentals Contributor
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Reston, VA
Votes |
Jamie Banks#2 Medium-Term Rentals Contributor
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Reston, VA
Replied Jul 23 2024, 10:06

I would spend time looking at comps on Furnished Finder and Airbnb, see which properties are current vacant vs properties that have availability in the future. Traveling medical professionals generally don’t need 3 BR homes and they aren’t traveling as much as previous years so make sure there’s enough demand. 

User Stats

Votes
Nicole Heasley Beitenman
Pro Member
#5 Medium-Term Rentals Contributor
  • Investor
  • Youngstown, OH
Votes |
Pro Member
#5 Medium-Term Rentals Contributor
  • Investor
  • Youngstown, OH
Replied Jul 24 2024, 19:11

I'm getting $1,500 a month for a 1BR/1BA in Youngstown. I'd expect Cleveland to fetch a bit more even with more saturation. When I first started about a year ago, Furnished Finder recommended pricing $300-500 a month above LTR rates. I took that advice and priced $500 over LTR rates. Then I bumped rents up $50 between each tenant until I felt like I hit the ceiling. 

User Stats

Votes
Miguel Del Mazo
Pro Member
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied Jul 25 2024, 06:24

Great advice above from the GOATs of the MTR forums.

I would add that you should also try to get on the lists of corporate housing and temporary housing for insurance companies. Our 2/1.5s seem to go to traveling professionals (medical or otherwise), but our larger units attract the insurance company's attention. Some of those have come by FF, but AirBnB greater than 30 day stays also generates leads.

Best of luck with your endeavor.