Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 2 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Medium-Term Rentals
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Thomas DeVita
Votes |
LTR in greater Boston, MA area, considering STR or MTR to increase cashflow

Thomas DeVita
Posted Jun 27 2024, 10:38

Hi all - My business partner have owned our first duplex rental property for about 4 years now. We currently have great LTR tenants and are cash flowing ~5-600/month. However we've been hearing a lot about how lucrative Airbnb and 30+ day rentals are, even to businesses/government agencies/etc. so are looking to connect with someone in that space. 

Would love to hear how you made the jump from a LTR to either a STR or MTR, and if there's anyone in the Boston area doing this?

User Stats

Votes
Daniel McDonald
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Beverly, MA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Beverly, MA
Replied Jun 27 2024, 17:03

I know someone who just went back to LTR in Lowell after struggling trying to get the MTR going. Think it definitely depends on the area. As for STRs definitely check the rules in your area cause MA has a lot of restrictions on days. So you don’t want to put in all that effort and only be able to do it 90 days a year or something. But I have been curious about it myself. I own two duplexes in Beverly and have contemplated turning a unit into an MTR but LTR is just easy money honestly. 

User Stats

Votes
Replied Aug 4 2024, 05:13

I am in the same boat. I have a great cash flowing LTRs and just started looking into MTR/STR space in Boston and surrounding areas. Based on a brief look, monthly cashflows for STR/MTR are not significantly greater than LTR and to my slight disappointment, it's almost very much the same with LTR. I'll need to do a better deep dive but I cant see why there's a hype for these the LTR/MTR. What am I missing?

Baselane logo
Baselane
|
Sponsored
A new type of banking built for RE investors BiggerPockets Prefers Baselane The #1 Real Estate Banking platform trusted by over 40k landlords.

User Stats

Votes
Corby Goade
Property Manager
Agent
  • Investor
  • Boise, ID
Votes |
Property Manager
Agent
  • Investor
  • Boise, ID
Replied Aug 4 2024, 07:17

The grass is always greener....

STRs are FAR from passive. It's a totally different ballgame. They take more time, energy, stress and definitely more capital. 

They're also high risk, high reward. 

I have several STRs and some months I'll net $5k on a property and that same property might lose $2500 other months. 

If it's working as an LTR and you are cash flowing, I'd be willing to bet that the juice won't be worth the squeeze in converting them to STRs.