Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 2 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Medium-Term Rentals
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Jeremy Jareckyj
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Salt Lake City, UT
Votes |
Mid Term Rental Agreement

Jeremy Jareckyj
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Salt Lake City, UT
Posted Mar 11 2024, 18:28

Anyone have a good MTR furnished rental agreement they would be willing to share?

I have one I have drafted up but would love to compare against others.

What are some items you always included in your MTR rental agreements?

User Stats

Votes
Nathan Gesner
Agent
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
Votes |
Agent
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
ModeratorReplied Mar 12 2024, 05:58
Quote from @Jeremy Jareckyj:

Anything rented for longer than 30 days is legally considered a long-term rental. You should follow all the same processes you would with a LTR, including the lease. The only real change is addressing the inclusions.

• Property Manager Wyoming (#12599)

American West Realty & Management Logo

User Stats

Votes
Replied Mar 12 2024, 06:51

Although I agree the leases and the legal implications of "Mid-Term" rentals and "long-term" rentals are closly related, I don't think the leases should be identical. 

There are several aspects of a long term lease that are not needed, or additions that should be included in a mid term. People staying for 30-90 days are a completely different customers than someone in a years lease. 

Changes to the lease for stays under 6 months include:

-Changes to the move out terms. LTR tenants are required to have the home professionally cleaned.  In MTR, this provision is changed to a cleaning fee and it outlines specifically what cleaning and tasks the tenant must do before moving out. 

-Changes to lease break situations. We are more willing to break leases due to employment changes in a MTR.  Think contract nurses. 

-Changes to the timeline for notice to renew.  

-Unless renewed, All MTR leases end and a specific move-out time is listed. 

-Decreased security deposit to 1x for MTR.

-In LTR we allow the use of security deposit alternatives. We don't for MTR. 

-Limits placed on the number of people that can be in the residence at any one time (i.e., no parties, gatherings or additional overnight guests).

-LTR we have 60 days to return the SD.  MTR, we will return it in 30.  

-Detailed inventory and inspection of owners property (this is done for LTR also, but few LTRs are fully furnished and outfitted). 

-Outlines what is considered damage to linens and other personal property (ie., stains, etc)

-MTR we are flexible on the lease end date and will prorate last month's rent.  LTR always ends at the end of the month. 

Most of the core aspects of your LTR lease remain, but there are a few tweeks that I think make MTRs easier to deal with and more appealing to your customers.

PropStream logo
PropStream
|
Sponsored
Nationwide property data Use our robust, multi-sourced data to find off-market properties and close your next deal.

User Stats

Votes
Bonnie Low
Pro Member
#1 Medium-Term Rentals Contributor
  • Investor
  • Cottonwood, CA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Cottonwood, CA
Replied Mar 12 2024, 08:51
Quote from @Ben Russell:

Although I agree the leases and the legal implications of "Mid-Term" rentals and "long-term" rentals are closly related, I don't think the leases should be identical. 

There are several aspects of a long term lease that are not needed, or additions that should be included in a mid term. People staying for 30-90 days are a completely different customers than someone in a years lease. 

-Changes to the move out terms. LTR tenants are required to have the home professionally cleaned.  In MTR, this provision is changed to a cleaning fee and it outlines specifically what cleaning and tasks the tenant must do before moving out. 

-Changes to lease break situations. We are more willing to break leases due to employment changes in a MTR.  Think contract nurses. 

-Limits placed on the number of people that can be in the residence at any one time (i.e., no parties, gatherings or additional overnight guests).

-Detailed inventory and inspection of owners property (this is done for LTR also, but few LTRs are fully furnished and outfitted). 

-Outlines what is considered damage to linens and other personal property (ie., stains, etc)

-MTR we are flexible on the lease end date and will prorate last month's rent.  LTR always ends at the end of the month. 

Most of the core aspects of your LTR lease remain, but there are a few tweeks that I think make MTRs easier to deal with and more appealing to your customers.

This is spot on. There are significant differences between midterm rentals and long terms both in the lease itself as well as management of the property. Ben Russell has done an excellent job of covering differences in the lease. For your midterm lease, I strongly recommend you use a state-specific lease to make sure all of the landlord requirements are covered as well as any state-specific disclosures. I use the lease feature from Rocket Lawyer as it's part of my tools stack from Baselane - my banking/bookkeeping/tenant management platform. It's thorough, easy to use and easy to modify so you can include your own special terms such as quiet hours, how trash service will be handled, parking, and anything else that is specific to your property. 

User Stats

Votes
Conner Olsen
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Austin, TX
Replied Mar 12 2024, 10:50

Anyone have a good MTR furnished rental agreement they would be willing to share?

I created one in Apartments.com. It was pretty simple

User Stats

Votes
Replied Mar 12 2024, 12:33

I would suggest having an attorney at a minimum review any lease you create. 

Generic, state specific leases are just that, generic and simply covering the bare minimum (if that). Our LTR lease is nearly 18 pages long, not including the additional riders for mold, radon, lead based paint, etc. 

Many real estate specific attorneys have leases and other legal documents you can purchase.  This is money well spent.

User Stats

Votes
Zachary Deal
Pro Member
  • Lender
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Lender
Replied Mar 12 2024, 12:42

Agreed with @Ben Russell. While state specific leases are simple and can work, spending the extra investment and having a real estate attorney help create one for you will likely create more value/protections and save you money in the long run

User Stats

Votes
Jeremy Jareckyj
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Salt Lake City, UT
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Salt Lake City, UT
Replied Mar 12 2024, 13:24
Quote from @Ben Russell:

exactly what I was looking for thank you!!!

User Stats

Votes
Jeremy Jareckyj
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Salt Lake City, UT
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Salt Lake City, UT
Replied Mar 12 2024, 13:25
Quote from @Conner Olsen:

did you have it verified by an attorney or the ones on apartments.com are already verified?

User Stats

Votes
Don Konipol
Pro Member
#1 Wholesaling Contributor
  • Lender
  • The Woodlands, TX
Votes |
Pro Member
#1 Wholesaling Contributor
  • Lender
  • The Woodlands, TX
Replied Mar 12 2024, 13:27

You need to check if the lease you created complies with any regulations of the area you’re in.  In some areas certain provisions MUST be included in a lease.  All municipalities I know of consider an occupancy  of 31 days or more to fall under their tenancy regulations. 

User Stats

Votes
Conner Olsen
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Austin, TX
Replied Mar 12 2024, 13:35
Quote from @Conner Olsen:

did you have it verified by an attorney or the ones on apartments.com are already verified?

I did not have an attorney review it. If you're going to hire an attorney might as well just start with their lease and not have them review someone else's document.

User Stats

Votes
Jamie Banks#2 Medium-Term Rentals Contributor
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Reston, VA
Votes |
Jamie Banks#2 Medium-Term Rentals Contributor
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Reston, VA
Replied Mar 13 2024, 19:57

Here's a few things I include in my MTR lease

- Utility caps

- Outline of the furniture that is included

- Details regarding which utilities are included

- Outline who is responsible for lawn care / snow removal

- List of fees (admin fee, cleaning fee, etc)

User Stats

Votes
Brady D'Hont
Pro Member
  • Saratoga Springs, NY
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Saratoga Springs, NY
Replied Jun 4 2024, 07:20

Jeremy, 

I am also in the process of completing a flip and hold MTR. I am curious to see what you’ve learned over the last few months and what details you have included in your lease agreement. 

Thanks!

BiggerPockets logo
Network With Property Managers
|
BiggerPockets
Partnering with a property manager before you buy will boost your bottom line. Match and mingle with top property managers now!