Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here
Medium-Term Rentals

User Stats

Votes
Michael Aguirre
Pro Member
Votes |
MTR Process from Inquiry to Lease Signing Process

Michael Aguirre
Pro Member
Posted Jul 22 2023, 01:32

Hello everyone! I am exploring renting my STR to MTR option when the summer travel season dwindles. What is your process for renting out your place after a potential tenant reaches out to you in Furnished Finder? Do you screen them first, or get to an agreement, let them view the property in person, etc? Airbnb and Vrbo were straightforward, but I want to learn the MTR side.

Thank you.

User Stats

Votes
Max Guerrero
  • Seattle, WA
Votes |
  • Seattle, WA
Replied Jul 22 2023, 16:14

Background and credit check first. FF has Keycheck. Have them pay for it and you can knock it off first month's rent if you wish. Lease comes second and deposit comes last. I don't consider it rented until the deposit is in my account.

User Stats

Votes
Bonnie Low
Pro Member
#1 Medium-Term Rentals Contributor
  • Investor
  • Cottonwood, CA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Cottonwood, CA
Replied Jul 22 2023, 16:24

I just a 3-step process: first is the background check. I use Keycheck for this. You send the background check request through Keycheck and it sends the guest a link to pay for it. Within minutes you get the completed background check back. Second is the lease agreement. I use the state-specific lease feature on Avail.co. I draft it with my terms and send it to the guest to e-sign. Then I collect the deposits. I have never been able to let them see the property in advance because it's always been occupied by someone and I've had to do 1 or 2 day turns. I do have a video I can send them of me doing a walkthrough of the property in between guests. That will usually suffice.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Jamie Banks#2 Medium-Term Rentals Contributor
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Reston, VA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Reston, VA
Replied Jul 23 2023, 10:34

After receiving the request on Furnished Finder I reached out to the guest via their preferred communication method. From there, I send a link via my PMS to apply to the unit and complete the income/background/credit verification. Once the application comes back I approve it or deny it based on my criteria. From there the lease would be sent over and I would collect the security deposit. Sometimes you get guests who want to see the property beforehand. I usually tell them that the process is similar to booking a vacation rental that happens site unseen but if they insist I’ll schedule a walkthrough with my cleaner. I recommend getting a walkthrough video through Matterport if you can to be able to send to guests. 

User Stats

Votes
Conner Olsen
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Austin, TX
Replied Jul 24 2023, 09:12
Quote from @Michael Aguirre:

Hello everyone! I am exploring renting my STR to MTR option when the summer travel season dwindles. What is your process for renting out your place after a potential tenant reaches out to you in Furnished Finder? Do you screen them first, or get to an agreement, let them view the property in person, etc? Airbnb and Vrbo were straightforward, but I want to learn the MTR side.

Thank you.

Use Airbnb and VRBO for your MTR client sourcing as well. Just set minimum stay to 30 days. That's how I find my tenants and get higher rates than on FF.

User Stats

Votes
Marianne File
  • New to Real Estate
  • Atlanta, GA
Votes |
  • New to Real Estate
  • Atlanta, GA
Replied Aug 7 2023, 21:03
Quote from @Conner Olsen:

Thank you.

Use Airbnb and VRBO for your MTR client sourcing as well. Just set minimum stay to 30 days. That's how I find my tenants and get higher rates than on FF.

With Airbnb and VRBO, what do you use for the background and credit check? 

User Stats

Votes
Marianne File
  • New to Real Estate
  • Atlanta, GA
Votes |
  • New to Real Estate
  • Atlanta, GA
Replied Aug 7 2023, 21:03
Quote from @Jamie Banks:

After receiving the request on Furnished Finder I reached out to the guest via their preferred communication method. From there, I send a link via my PMS to apply to the unit and complete the income/background/credit verification. Once the application comes back I approve it or deny it based on my criteria. From there the lease would be sent over and I would collect the security deposit. Sometimes you get guests who want to see the property beforehand. I usually tell them that the process is similar to booking a vacation rental that happens site unseen but if they insist I’ll schedule a walkthrough with my cleaner. I recommend getting a walkthrough video through Matterport if you can to be able to send to guests. 

How much do you usually collect for the security deposit?

User Stats

Votes
Conner Olsen
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Austin, TX
Replied Aug 8 2023, 12:47
Quote from @Marianne File:

Thank you.

I don't do a background or credit check. Airbnb handles the payment so I don't worry about it and I've found that the typical tenant that is willing to pay 2x the LTR rate is going to keep the property in good condition. Other investors on the forums require these for MTR but I haven't had any problems.

User Stats

Votes
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Reston, VA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Reston, VA
Replied Aug 9 2023, 16:51
Quote from @Jamie Banks:

I charge between 25 and 50% of the rental rate as the security deposit. Less for smaller units and more for larger units with pets. 

User Stats

Votes
Marianne File
  • New to Real Estate
  • Atlanta, GA
Votes |
  • New to Real Estate
  • Atlanta, GA
Replied Sep 7 2023, 14:10
Quote from @Jamie Banks:
Quote from @Jamie Banks:

I charge between 25 and 50% of the rental rate as the security deposit. Less for smaller units and more for larger units with pets. 

Thank you! 

User Stats

Votes
Marianne File
  • New to Real Estate
  • Atlanta, GA
Votes |
  • New to Real Estate
  • Atlanta, GA
Replied Sep 7 2023, 14:11

Thank you.

I don't do a background or credit check. Airbnb handles the payment so I don't worry about it and I've found that the typical tenant that is willing to pay 2x the LTR rate is going to keep the property in good condition. Other investors on the forums require these for MTR but I haven't had any problems.

Thank you - this helps a lot. 

User Stats

Votes
Michael Aguirre
Pro Member
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied Sep 19 2023, 01:19
Quote from @Bonnie Low:

I just a 3-step process: first is the background check. I use Keycheck for this. You send the background check request through Keycheck and it sends the guest a link to pay for it. Within minutes you get the completed background check back. Second is the lease agreement. I use the state-specific lease feature on Avail.co. I draft it with my terms and send it to the guest to e-sign. Then I collect the deposits. I have never been able to let them see the property in advance because it's always been occupied by someone and I've had to do 1 or 2 day turns. I do have a video I can send them of me doing a walkthrough of the property in between guests. That will usually suffice.

Hi Bonnie! Thank you for the reply! Do you mind sharing your lease agreement with me? How do you collect the deposit/payments?

I appreciate your help!

User Stats

Votes
Bonnie Low
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Cottonwood, CA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Cottonwood, CA
Replied Sep 19 2023, 13:35
Quote from @Bonnie Low:

Hi Bonnie! Thank you for the reply! Do you mind sharing your lease agreement with me? How do you collect the deposit/payments?

I appreciate your help!

You really need to use a state-specific lease. My recommendation is to go to Avail.co or even Keycheck to use their state-specific lease template. Just specify your state and it will contain the relevant information. 

BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Replied Sep 19 2023, 15:24
Quote from @Max Guerrero:

Background and credit check first. FF has Keycheck. Have them pay for it and you can knock it off first month's rent if you wish. Lease comes second and deposit comes last. I don't consider it rented until the deposit is in my account.

Do you require BG Checks for traveling nurses?  As I understand they have already submitted to BG checks with the hospitals before hiring.  I'm new to this.  Thanks

User Stats

Votes
Guadalupe Felix-Franco
Pro Member
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied Sep 26 2023, 20:40
Quote from @Jamie Banks:

Do you send application to traveling nurses or only working professionals?

User Stats

Votes
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Reston, VA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Reston, VA
Replied Sep 27 2023, 09:19
Quote from @Guadalupe Felix-Franco:
Quote from @Jamie Banks:

I send the application to everyone but I don’t require a background check from traveling nurses and other medical professionals if they provide a copy of their contract  

User Stats

Votes
Bonnie Low
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Cottonwood, CA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Cottonwood, CA
Replied Sep 27 2023, 19:21
Quote from @Jamie Banks:
Quote from @Jamie Banks:

I send the application to everyone but I don’t require a background check from traveling nurses and other medical professionals if they provide a copy of their contract  

I do the same. I will waive the background check for travel medical professionals IF they provide me a fully executed copy of their employment contract. Sometimes they don't get that until a week or two before they're due to start work. But if you get one that hasn't been signed by all parties, it may mean that they're not actually going to get the contract, so make sure it's been signed by all parties. I don't waive the background check for any spouse or partner they're traveling with.

User Stats

Votes
Guadalupe Felix-Franco
Pro Member
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied Jun 15 2024, 08:03

Would you ask for background check for a spouse booked via Airbnb?

User Stats

Votes
Nick Zupec
Pro Member
#2 Medium-Term Rentals Contributor
  • Investor
  • Saint Joseph, MI
Votes |
Pro Member
#2 Medium-Term Rentals Contributor
  • Investor
  • Saint Joseph, MI
Replied Jun 16 2024, 18:41

Would you ask for background check for a spouse booked via Airbnb?

Hi Guadalupe. We have a completely different process for Airbnb vs other sources of MTR tenants. We don't do applications, security deposits, background checks, etc. for Airbnb guests. When they book through Airbnb, you have some protection/insurance through Airbnb to protect you if things go wrong (although I know many people have had issues when that actually happens). So no, we wouldn't do a background check on the traveler or the spouse because they should both be covered through Airbnb. If they book outside of Airbnb though (Furnished Finder, Zillow, direct booking, etc.) we would.

User Stats

Votes
Guadalupe Felix-Franco
Pro Member
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied Jun 16 2024, 18:59

@Nick Zupec Thank you for your response.  

User Stats

Votes
Colleen F.
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Narragansett, RI
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Narragansett, RI
Replied Jun 17 2024, 07:12

@Michael Aguirre  if they stay more than 30 days it is advisable to have a lease agreement even for airbnb/VRBO  guests. You should disclose that in the airbnb/VRBO  listing.  I don't know if you can use an escalating rent clause in your area but if you have a high season I have in the past used a clause that increases rent for overstays. I have never tested it in court but reviewing the lease it makes it clear that unless otherwise agree the rent is automatically increased at lease end to the weekly rate as its a beach property. I also let people know they can't extend beyond x date.