Adding a detached ADU to a duplex in SLC

Adding a detached ADU to a duplex in SLC

Member since 2024 · 2 posts · 2 votes

Hello there community, 

in the recent days I have been teasing the idea of house hacking if I decide to move in the future  in SLC ( love skiing and the nature).

  I have read the city’s guide https://www.slcdocs.com/Planning/Guides/ADU_handbook.pdf but I still have questions.

1. can tell that till require the owner to live there for the ADU.

1a is it for permanent residency or is it justified if it is a second home that I would use occasionally?

1b. What happens if you buy the duplex with a conventional loan with the purpose to build an ADU to move in shortly afterwards? Is this possible?


2. If you build an ADU  and you want to rent it, the guide mentions that you can only do it if it’s a single family dwelling . So in the case of a duplex, is the ADU essentially only for the owner?

3. Resources / perspectives for ADUs in SLC are more than welcome

thank you so much !




1Reply
23 views

Most Popular Reply

Joey BanasihanPro Member
Investor · Boise, ID · Member since 2019 · 233 posts · 188 votes
1y

Hey @Manos Alimpertis! Looks to me there isn't a lot of room for creativity in SLC based on my understanding of Zoning and Planning. Here in Boise, with the upzoning, any SFH, or duplex/triplex/fourplex, you are allowed to build an ADU on. This has opened up a lot of doors for our investors for the highest and best use. But hopefully you are able to find a great house hacking situation if you end up moving, its a great strategy to leave a trail of rentals behind - just as my wife and I are doing now! Good luck!

See this reply in the discussion

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Jonathan GreeneBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Madison, NJ · Member since 2016 · 6k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    1y

    I believe in SLC, they are still requiring the owner to live in the main house (meaning you don't have to be there, but you can't rent it) for you to use the ADU for anything else. I am not sure of the STR rules for that, but I know SLC has not rounded the Western states curve yet and caught up to Oregon, Cali, and Washington. Reach out to @Alyssa Holbrook as she has a property she is trying to do it on now.

  • Member since 2024 · 2 posts · 2 votes
    1y
    Quote from @Jonathan Greene:

    I believe in SLC, they are still requiring the owner to live in the main house (meaning you don't have to be there, but you can't rent it) for you to use the ADU for anything else. I am not sure of the STR rules for that, but I know SLC has not rounded the Western states curve yet and caught up to Oregon, Cali, and Washington. Reach out to @Alyssa Holbrook as she has a property she is trying to do it on now.

    Thanks a lot @Jonathan Greene


    I was reading the SLC docs and it seems that the restrictions for owner occupancy only applies to single family homes and duplexes are exempt. However a more experienced person might now better all the details 

  • Joey BanasihanPro Member
    Investor · Boise, ID · Member since 2019 · 233 posts · 188 votes
    1y

    Hey @Manos Alimpertis! Looks to me there isn't a lot of room for creativity in SLC based on my understanding of Zoning and Planning. Here in Boise, with the upzoning, any SFH, or duplex/triplex/fourplex, you are allowed to build an ADU on. This has opened up a lot of doors for our investors for the highest and best use. But hopefully you are able to find a great house hacking situation if you end up moving, its a great strategy to leave a trail of rentals behind - just as my wife and I are doing now! Good luck!

  • Real Estate Agent · Salt Lake City, UT · Member since 2020 · 490 posts · 205 votes
    1y

    I would give planning and zoning a call. They are always updating the ADU guidelines and thats a bit of a unique situation.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.