Confused between house hacking in LA or Philly

Confused between house hacking in LA or Philly

Developer · Newport, NJ · Member since 2019 · 50 posts · 43 votes

Hi,

I have finally decided to invest in a house hacking strategy and have two options, I am very confused between both and would love to get some opinion from folks here

1. Philadelphia, Penn 


Pros: 

1. Good numbers- I will be essentially able to live for free by renting out the units and eventually cash flow when i move out

2. Cheaper- The houses in Philly are almost half or less than LA and you get more value for your buck. This will essentially mean that I will have less stress on my pocket

3. Closer - I live in NYC and Philly is closer to me.

4. Economy: Philly has better schools, a better financial sector and job sector than LA (I am guessing but would like some opinion)

Cons:

1. Less Appreciation - 
LA in general has more appreciation and more equity buildup than Philly

2. Weather - LA has a way better weather than Philly. I hate the weather in eat coast and will have to tolerate it for a year or two until I live there.

3. Lack of people I know - I know more people in LA than Philly, basically more people to help me if something comes up. I consider this a factor because eventually if I move out of the country then I would have trusted people around.


2. Los Angeles, CA

Pros:

1. Weather - No description needed haha

2. Better apprecation

3. More friends/known people

4. Economy might be better?

Cons:

1. Super expensive - this is the only major deciding factor, if the house is vacant even for a month or two, I will loose a lot of money

2. No cashflow - It is impossible to make it cash flow or even break even. 

Any comments and help appreciated from folks.

2Reply
14 views

2 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Alan AsriantsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2019 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    2y

    Hey Vivan, its great that you want to start with the house hacking route. Its the smart route and an excellent way to get started. 

    That being said, these markets are sooo different. 

    The real question here is where do you want to live? That will help you decide between markets. Two very different lifestyles and if you're an outdoorsy kind of person, you're going to regret moving to Phila. 

    Phila will always be a large metropolitan area and have demand.

    If you want to talk about Phila let me know, I'd be happy to do so. My best friend is an agent out in LA, I can connect him with you too. 

    Alan Asriants - New Century Real Estate 590 Reviews
    View Page
  • Wale LawalBusiness Member
    Real Estate Broker · Houston | Dallas | Austin, TX · Member since 2018 · 5k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    2y

    @Vivan Bhalla

    It seems like you've done a thorough analysis of the pros and cons for both options. Ultimately, the decision will depend on your personal preferences, financial goals, and risk tolerance. Here are a few additional factors to consider:

    Investment Strategy: If your primary goal is cash flow and living for free while house hacking, Philadelphia might be the better option due to its affordability and potential for positive cash flow. However, if you're more focused on long-term appreciation and equity buildup, Los Angeles might offer better opportunities despite its higher cost of living.

    Market Conditions: Consider the current real estate market conditions in both Philadelphia and Los Angeles. Look at trends in property values, rental demand, vacancy rates, and economic indicators to assess which market aligns better with your investment objectives.

    Risk management: Determine how much risk is involved in each choice. Los Angeles may provide more stability and long-term growth potential owing to its stronger market fundamentals, even though Philadelphia can have better cash flow possibilities. Think about things that might affect your investment, such as prospective regulatory changes, economic diversity, and employment stability.

    Personal Preferences: Consider your long-term goals and desired way of living. When selecting your choice, take into account elements like the local climate, your distance from friends and family, and your general standard of living. Your general pleasure and contentment with your investment might be enhanced by residing in a place that suits your own tastes.

    The optimal option will ultimately rely on your unique situation and objectives; there is no one-size-fits-all solution. Seeking advice from a local real estate agent or financial adviser may also prove beneficial, as they may offer valuable insights into the unique market dynamics and investment prospects in Philadelphia and Los Angeles. Wishing you luck as you make your choice!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.