Why do people Live in New York?

Why do people Live in New York?

Real Estate Broker · Cleveland Dayton Cincinnati Toledo Columbus & Akron, OH · Member since 2013 · 30k+ posts · 20k+ votes

The other day I started the thread Why do people Buy Property in California? I wanted to know if there was anything other than the weather that drew people to California. Most everyone mentioned the weather and appreciation due to the weather making it so desirable to live there. 

I assumed this would be the case because the rest of what California has to offer kind of sucks. High taxes. Soft on Crime. Homeless Problems etc.... Overwhelmingly though, the weather and weather related things were enough to offset the negatives.

So, I figure a much more interesting question would be Why do people live in New York City? New York City has a lot of the same problems as California and the weather sucks. Why in the world are so many people drawn to New York City?

0Reply
29 views

2 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Victor PatelBusiness Member
    Real Estate Broker · Cincinnati, OH · Member since 2022 · 133 posts · 89 votes
    1y

    Haha!  Not sure why people live in either California or NY.  Disclousure:  I lived in CA in the 80's.  I went to high school and college there.  It was a great place to grow up.  It's not the same CA anymore.  Crime is thru the roof, homelessness, high taxes, etc.  Same in NY minus the weather.  

    I left CA for OH 30 years ago and never looked back.  Low taxes, low crime, low homelessness, friendly people, all 4 seasons, etc!

    Great question!

  • Alex AllevaPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Mamaroneck, NY · Member since 2017 · 24 posts · 5 votes
    1y

    For me it's family, friends, and the food. There are a lot of work opportunities in NYC of course. The weather can certainly suck in the winter but it's no different than most of the country.

    I have been saying I would move out of NY for years but it is home. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.