• Property Manager
  • Portsmouth, NH
Votes |
Yardi Software?

Brendan O'Brien
  • Property Manager
  • Portsmouth, NH
Posted Aug 3 2008, 10:49

I'm trying to learn more about Yardi's pricing and product. I'm a competitor of theirs and their prices seem ridiculous - is the product worth it? What do you like best about it?

User Stats

Votes
Richard F.#1 Tenant Screening Contributor
  • Property Manager
  • Honolulu, HI
Votes |
Richard F.#1 Tenant Screening Contributor
  • Property Manager
  • Honolulu, HI
Replied Nov 26 2007, 09:57

You can review this prior discussion about Yardi for starters:

http://forums.biggerpockets.com/viewtopic.php?t=11019&highlight=yardi

Sorry, but as a licensed PM I couldn't personally have much faith in a web based system such as yours from the standpoint of security, either. Maybe for just my own property, as an investor, but not when my clients info is at risk. Just my opinion.

User Stats

Votes
Brendan O'Brien
  • Property Manager
  • Portsmouth, NH
Votes |
  • Property Manager
  • Portsmouth, NH
Replied Nov 26 2007, 17:44

Thanks Beachbum. It seems to me that Yardi is popular because it's been around forever and people are used to it. Reminds me of my old days building very large applications for corporate clients. In trying to go from in-house solutions to vendor products, they would go for huge, highly complex programs. It was actually good for my employers because they would make a lot of cash - for a while. The problem was that the clients would quickly abandon these efforts.

As for security, web apps are the wave of the future, but yours is a legitimate concern. You don't really know how good our security is - how can you? In the end, I still have to prove myself.

BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Ramon Allones
  • Real Estate Investor
  • los angeles, CA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Investor
  • los angeles, CA
Replied Nov 28 2007, 08:19

yardi is a very good software system. never used it myself, but the company I was with used skyline. and it serveed my needs, and I think the parners were using it forever is why they liked it. As I left my company was implementing yardi, and the biggest thing I remember is that it would do the cam rec for you. skyline was just implementing it at the time.

I agree with the fact that people are just used to it. when people have familiarity with the format of the different reports and the way they look, they don't want to change. but and income/expense, gl or ballance sheet are pretty much what they are. i just liked seeing them in a format i was used to