1880 house, irreplaceable hard woods - should I put down carpet

1880 house, irreplaceable hard woods - should I put down carpet

Member since 2024 · 10 posts · 1 vote

I have a 3 unit multifamily (1880) with the original wood floors. The floors are in good, not perfect shape. However, if they get destroyed, the original wood cannot be replaced. In my market, 95% of the applications i got were from people with pets. I choose people with pets who had excellent references. I also charge a pet fee of $35 per month, per pet. Both incoming tenants have well behaved dogs I have met, and one unit also has a cat. I could pay to put down large area rugs in both apartments to protect the floors. Or I could require them to buy area rugs and put this requirement in their "pet addendum" leases. i am leaning toward doing it myself and letting them pick the color. This wouldn't be wall to wall carpet but basic area rugs that cover most of the floor. I'm wondering if 1) experienced landlords think putting down some carpet is worth the cost to avoid refinishing later 2) advice on where to get decent low pile area rugs. There is an industrial carpet place near me with off cuts. 

Inherited tenants I am finally getting out ruined the floor in the apartment I'm moving into - $3k sand and refinish job. I guess they've been there 7 years and accumulated pet fees would have covered it - but still. I can only refinish these old floors a few times. I want to avoid doing it as much as possible. 

Many thanks 

0Reply
29 views

Most Popular Reply

Bruce WoodruffPro Member
Contractor/Investor/Consultant · San Diego / Phoenix · Member since 2021 · 12k+ posts · 15k+ votes
1y

My thought....if the old floors are that important...why the heck rent to people with pets? The easiest most sensible thing to do would to not allow pets. Problem solved.

If you absolutely must (for whatever reason) then I wouldn't bother with carpeting or rugs. Just let your floor take the wear. You can refinish several times, and if necessary, you can find some red oak or yellow oak, you just have to know where to look. It's really expensive though, so once again, why allow pets? Plenty of good renters without pets out there (or just cats).

See this reply in the discussion

3 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Bruce WoodruffPro Member
    Contractor/Investor/Consultant · San Diego / Phoenix · Member since 2021 · 12k+ posts · 15k+ votes
    1y

    My thought....if the old floors are that important...why the heck rent to people with pets? The easiest most sensible thing to do would to not allow pets. Problem solved.

    If you absolutely must (for whatever reason) then I wouldn't bother with carpeting or rugs. Just let your floor take the wear. You can refinish several times, and if necessary, you can find some red oak or yellow oak, you just have to know where to look. It's really expensive though, so once again, why allow pets? Plenty of good renters without pets out there (or just cats).

  • Real Estate Agent · Cranston, RI · Member since 2025 · 19 posts · 6 votes
    1y

    Ellen,

    It sounds like you’ve put a lot of thought into preserving those original wood floors, and I completely understand wanting to avoid refinishing as much as possible. As for where to find decent low-pile rugs, checking out that industrial carpet place near you for off-cuts could be a great budget-friendly option. You might also look into online retailers that offer bulk discounts or even local flooring stores with clearance sections.

    It may also be worth including a clause in your pet addendum that sets expectations for tenants regarding flooring care. You could add language stating that normal wear and tear is expected, but excessive damage to the floors, including deep scratches, stains, or deterioration beyond reasonable use, may result in deductions from the security deposit to cover refinishing or repairs.

    Something like this might work:
    "Tenant acknowledges that the original wood floors are a unique and irreplaceable feature of the property. Tenant agrees to take reasonable precautions to prevent damage, including the use of area rugs in high-traffic areas. Any excessive wear, deep scratches, stains, or deterioration beyond normal use may result in deductions from the security deposit to cover refinishing or repairs."

    Best,

    Raffi

  • Alecia LovelessPro Member
    Member since 2019 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    1y

    @Ellen Feiss If you have a rental it just goes without saying that the floors are going to see wear and tear and damage.

    If you’re overly attached to a rental or a feature of it you’re going to have a much harder and more stressful time as a landlord.

    I have super nice rentals, some of which have hard wood floors. They’re just a business to me and if they ever get damaged I’ll worry about it then.

    I think it would be super weird to try to require someone to use rugs.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.