Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 2 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Managing Your Property
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Lynn Gadd
  • Investor
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
how to evict a tenant that threatens you in text

Lynn Gadd
  • Investor
  • Austin, TX
Posted Oct 31 2023, 01:07

I have a renter that just moved in my rental on August. Yesterday he tells me he just got laid off effective immediately and that he will be searching for a job- i replied back i was so sorry to hear that and good luck with the job search he said he was doing - his reply back was “You are a pathetic farce of a human being. Die in hell.”

Um- my property is a nice property across from nike and i as a female do not take well to that sort of verbal abuse from a man.  I want him out but know oregon has strict renter laws.  I self manage my property- any thoughts of resources to escalate this to authorities and how to evict?  

User Stats

Votes
Jeremy H.
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Lafayette, LA
Votes |
  • Lafayette, LA
Replied Oct 31 2023, 03:05

I personally wouldn't even respond to a text like that - unless it has to do with health/safety leave me alone. Don't care to hear about your job/kids etc. 

As far as his offensive text - well I'm not sure there is a legal basis to evict on that. I'm not even seeing it as a threat - just as an insult. There have been way worse insults...You may be able to do an inspection and find something wrong and evict for that reason. OR when he doesn't pay his rent which looks like it may be coming next...Or find some rule he is breaking and evict based on that. You basically need to lean on your lease and find a reason through there. 

Other than that, just don't renew when the lease comes up and minimize contact with this tenant. 

User Stats

Votes
Lynn Gadd
  • Investor
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Austin, TX
Replied Oct 31 2023, 06:00

Very true, all i can do is document everything to have the paper trail once things start escalating to the grounds where i can evict based on rent owed or damages- i just can’t imagine texting that to anybody- not just a landlord. 

BiggerPockets logo
Network With Property Managers
|
BiggerPockets
Partnering with a property manager before you buy will boost your bottom line. Match and mingle with top property managers now!

User Stats

Votes
William Sing
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Portland, OR
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Portland, OR
Replied Oct 31 2023, 09:43

@Lynn Gadd I agree with @Jeremy H. If this ever goes to court for an eviction for whatever reason it would more reasonable. I hope it doesn't get to eviction, but if it does you can reach out to https://www.landlord-solutions.com/ . They take care of everything with the process if it gets to that point but recommend you look up the right forms and serve them if they don't start paying rent. For Oregon specific these are the usual go to's:
https://store.oregonrentalhousing.com/

https://www.rentalformscenter.com/state

User Stats

Votes
Colleen F.
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Narragansett, RI
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Narragansett, RI
Replied Oct 31 2023, 11:05

@Lynn Gadd possible you weren't the intended recipient. I have ? Back a tenant for a perplexing text and found it was misdirected but I have also recieved rude texts intended for me. If he misses payment move forward with pay or quit. Laid off people sometimes get very angry.

User Stats

Votes
Lynn Gadd
  • Investor
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Austin, TX
Replied Oct 31 2023, 11:13

It took half a day but he responded it was not intended for me.  There was nothing I could do anyway unless there was missed rent or damage but I was just startled by the comment even if it was for someone else.  In oregon at least you get 60 days heads up with being laid off- I would expect it more from tenants from properties in my other states, lol.  Hope it works out for him and we can all move forward.

User Stats

Votes
Lynn Gadd
  • Investor
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Austin, TX
Replied Oct 31 2023, 11:14
Quote from @William Sing:

@Lynn Gadd I agree with @Jeremy H. If this ever goes to court for an eviction for whatever reason it would more reasonable. I hope it doesn't get to eviction, but if it does you can reach out to https://www.landlord-solutions.com/ . They take care of everything with the process if it gets to that point but recommend you look up the right forms and serve them if they don't start paying rent. For Oregon specific these are the usual go to's:
https://store.oregonrentalhousing.com/

https://www.rentalformscenter.com/state

Thank you so much for this info.

User Stats

Votes
Adam Martin
Votes |
Replied Oct 31 2023, 11:18

Well that is certainly unpleasant and escalated quickly but I really don’t see this as something you can evict over.  I would just ignore it and move on with your day.  I’m sure he is in a lot of stress and he lashed out.  This is however not a tenant that is going to get any leniency from me at all so if he is late I’d file for eviction the first chance I had.  He must have missed the whole you catch more flies with honey if he were looking for sympathy from you.

we were posting at the same time so this is an edit but I would assume you were the intended recipient but go with he was just having a bad day.  He realized he made a mistake and just let it go.  

User Stats

Votes
Carini Rochester
  • Investor
  • Rochester, NY
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Rochester, NY
Replied Oct 31 2023, 11:20

That he would write that to anybody is scary. It tells me to keep an eye on him, and almost certainly not renew the lease.

User Stats

Votes
Bob Stevens
Pro Member
#1 Investor Mindset Contributor
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Cleveland
Votes |
Pro Member
#1 Investor Mindset Contributor
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Cleveland
Replied Oct 31 2023, 11:28
Quote from @Lynn Gadd:

I have a renter that just moved in my rental on August. Yesterday he tells me he just got laid off effective immediately and that he will be searching for a job- i replied back i was so sorry to hear that and good luck with the job search he said he was doing - his reply back was “You are a pathetic farce of a human being. Die in hell.”

Um- my property is a nice property across from nike and i as a female do not take well to that sort of verbal abuse from a man.  I want him out but know oregon has strict renter laws.  I self manage my property- any thoughts of resources to escalate this to authorities and how to evict?  

call your attorney, 

User Stats

Votes
Matthew Irish-Jones
Agent
Property Manager
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Buffalo, NY
Votes |
Agent
Property Manager
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Buffalo, NY
Replied Oct 31 2023, 11:49
Quote from @Lynn Gadd:

If I had a nickel for every threat I received... I wouldn't need to invest in Real Estate.  I try to ignore, de-escalate, tell them I'm just a humble guy trying to do his job, and disengage.  If it really gets heated our office has a panic button, security cameras, and we are prepared to protect ourselves.  We never make rent collection visits to properties. 

User Stats

Votes
Dan H.
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Poway, CA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Poway, CA
Replied Oct 31 2023, 21:33

I do not care that he was at higher stress or that he claims it was intended for someone else.  I would give him maximum legal rent increase every time until he gives me notice. 

Currently in my market the max rent increase on MF is 10%.  I suspect a couple/few 10% rent increases would convince most tenants to look for other housing.  

Good luck

User Stats

Votes
Rick Bassett
Property Manager
  • Property Manager
  • Greater New Haven, CT
Votes |
Property Manager
  • Property Manager
  • Greater New Haven, CT
Replied Nov 1 2023, 06:54

@Lynn Gadd I would’ve responded with a snarky comment like “obviously that text was meant for a family member, not me”.

Sometimes kicking the hornets nest is just too irresistible 😎

Bassett Property Management Logo
BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Cathy B.
  • Architect
  • Portland, OR
Votes |
  • Architect
  • Portland, OR
Replied Nov 3 2023, 09:01
Quote from @Lynn Gadd:

It took half a day but he responded it was not intended for me.  There was nothing I could do anyway unless there was missed rent or damage but I was just startled by the comment even if it was for someone else.  In oregon at least you get 60 days heads up with being laid off- I would expect it more from tenants from properties in my other states, lol.  Hope it works out for him and we can all move forward.

I'm curious about the 60 day heads up that you mention.  I thought most employment in Oregon is at will and can be terminated at any time.  I'm pretty sure every employer of mine has handled layoffs this way. Employees get no notice of being laid off until it happens.

There are some industries that are resetting due to the high interest rates.  It is definitely affecting developers ability to have projects that pencil out, which translates into less work for others down the line.  Expect more layoffs while the economy resets.  That being said, most people I know that were laid off have been able to find other employment.

User Stats

Votes
William Sing
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Portland, OR
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Portland, OR
Replied Nov 6 2023, 16:50
Quote from @Cathy B.:
Quote from @Lynn Gadd:

I'm curious about the 60 day heads up that you mention.  I thought most employment in Oregon is at will and can be terminated at any time.  I'm pretty sure every employer of mine has handled layoffs this way. Employees get no notice of being laid off until it happens.

There are some industries that are resetting due to the high interest rates.  It is definitely affecting developers ability to have projects that pencil out, which translates into less work for others down the line.  Expect more layoffs while the economy resets.  That being said, most people I know that were laid off have been able to find other employment.

Companies that have 50 employees or more are required by the state to submit that they will be doing layoffs or terminating business. I believe every state has something similar to it. Usually it is called "WARN". You can see Oregon's program here - https://www.oregon.gov/highered/institutions-programs/workfo...

If you then google "WARN LIST [STATE]" in google it will usually come up as well, but this is how people see if there are major layoffs coming or not. Here is Oregon's list:https://ccwd.hecc.oregon.gov/Layoff/WARN

If you are hearing of potential cuts in your company and your company meets those standards, you can check the designated WARN website and see if you need to start a job hunt yourself. 

Account Closed
Votes |
Replied Nov 6 2023, 17:30
"how to evict a tenant that threatens you in text"

He didn't threaten you. He insulted you. You have nothing to escalate. 

User Stats

Votes
Cathy B.
  • Architect
  • Portland, OR
Votes |
  • Architect
  • Portland, OR
Replied Nov 6 2023, 19:52
Quote from @William Sing:
Quote from @Cathy B.:
Quote from @Lynn Gadd:

Companies that have 50 employees or more are required by the state to submit that they will be doing layoffs or terminating business. I believe every state has something similar to it. Usually it is called "WARN". You can see Oregon's program here - https://www.oregon.gov/highered/institutions-programs/workfo...

If you then google "WARN LIST [STATE]" in google it will usually come up as well, but this is how people see if there are major layoffs coming or not. Here is Oregon's list:https://ccwd.hecc.oregon.gov/Layoff/WARN

If you are hearing of potential cuts in your company and your company meets those standards, you can check the designated WARN website and see if you need to start a job hunt yourself. 

Hmm interesting.  It looks like its for company closings or mass layoffs (33% or more of workforce) for companies with a large workforce, which is probably why I've never heard of it.  Doesn't seem to apply to many situations where employees are laid off unless the company is really in trouble.  It also appears to be a federal law (WARN act signed by Congress in 1988), not an Oregon specific one.
Thanks for the info .  . . I learned something new!