Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 2 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Managing Your Property
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Alex Kovalenko
Votes |
Property manager is charging a lot of extras

Alex Kovalenko
Posted Mar 6 2023, 14:57

We just started renting our property manager - most rentals he gets from Airbnb - my only concern is every month he comes with various expenses - pillows, fixing sprlinkers , animal control, additional cleaning, a/c fix, electricity fix , labour to fix a chair ($100 - a chair fix costs more than chair itself) .

like he charged us for ac fix $400 - a month before we put a new ac in weird

so far 3 months into it we have like $3k in various expenses which is insane I finD

Is that normal? Do property managers come up with various costs to get more money that way? 

It’s expensive to keep it running (property tax , insurance , mortgage) so we don’t need all these random extra fees

thanks 

User Stats

Votes
Replied Mar 6 2023, 17:48

What is the name of the PM? I can recommend a good one

User Stats

Votes
V.G Jason
Pro Member
#5 Market Trends & Data Contributor
  • Investor
Votes |
Pro Member
#5 Market Trends & Data Contributor
  • Investor
Replied Mar 6 2023, 17:54

For every expense, you should ask for proper documentation. You're going down a slippery slope.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Bill B.#3 1031 Exchanges Contributor
  • Investor
  • Las Vegas, NV
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Las Vegas, NV
Replied Mar 6 2023, 18:01

Depends.  My PM doesn’t make money on repairs to my property. They would prepare to never do any repairs as they ar doing extra work for no extra money. Does your PM own the repair company? There should be before and after pictures and invoices from real repair companies for each repair. If this is the first 1nor 2 months it was a rental there could obviously be problems neither you or them knew about until someone noticed and complained. Which is a reminder. I also get a copy of the tenant’s complaint or report of the problem as they all have to be done online. 

User Stats

Votes
Richard F.#1 Tenant Screening Contributor
  • Property Manager
  • Honolulu, HI
Votes |
Richard F.#1 Tenant Screening Contributor
  • Property Manager
  • Honolulu, HI
Replied Mar 6 2023, 19:22

Aloha,

What does your Management Agreement state regarding repairs? It sounds like a short term rental, they are definitely more costly to keep up to the standard that your tenants expect. What is the turnover process...who is determining what needs to be done? I agree you should be seeing actual invoice copies for every expense, with your monthly report.

User Stats

Votes
Eliott Elias#3 BRRRR - Buy, Rehab, Rent, Refinance, Repeat Contributor
  • Investor
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
Eliott Elias#3 BRRRR - Buy, Rehab, Rent, Refinance, Repeat Contributor
  • Investor
  • Austin, TX
Replied Mar 6 2023, 19:34

You are asking the wrong questions, you should be getting receipts for every penny you spend and meeting monthly to discuss every expense. 

User Stats

Votes
Theresa Harris
Pro Member
#3 Managing Your Property Contributor
Votes |
Pro Member
#3 Managing Your Property Contributor
Replied Mar 6 2023, 20:04

$3K in expenses is a lot and suspect.  I had a tenant who just moved out and he was rough on stuff and I did call and question my PM after repeated repairs.  I'd also ask for receipts as I'm betting he's making money off of repairs. I never did understand why they get a cut when repairs are made as they get a monthly fee and that fee is for more than simply collecting rent and putting it in my bank account.

User Stats

Votes
James Hamling
Agent
#3 Real Estate News & Current Events Contributor
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Minneapolis, MN
Votes |
Agent
#3 Real Estate News & Current Events Contributor
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Minneapolis, MN
Replied Mar 6 2023, 21:30
Quote from @Alex Kovalenko:

like he charged us for ac fix $400 - a month before we put a new ac in weird

Beyond the obvious of having a conversation with your PM and just asking for details on these things so one can better understand (should always be step #1), on this A/C I can answer. 

This is actually a very GOOD sign from a PM. The easiest and most lazy thing a PM could do is when A/C is an issue, to just say replace it. Replacing an A/C is a serious expense, and a good PM know sometimes, sometimes it can be repaired vs replaced. $400 perfectly fit's with trip charge, diagnoses, minor repair and recharge. Which doesn't always work, namely if the A-coil is shot which can't be diagnosed at start, or condenser is shot, again can't always tell 100%.     Summary, it fit's perfectly for an effort to save a client $ by trying to repair first, and it than failed, proving replacement was required. 

Is it possible that you jumping to conclusions because you were expecting to get $ from the property and not spend $ on it? 

User Stats

Votes
Replied Mar 7 2023, 07:38
Quote from @Vladislav Khlopine:

Can you send your recommendation? I’m looking for a PM. 

User Stats

Votes
Alex Kovalenko
Votes |
Replied Mar 7 2023, 07:58
Yes Vladsilav - can you please send me the PM in Cape Coral area as well. Thanks. 

Quote from @Corey Lasky:

User Stats

Votes
Chris Davidson
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Boise, ID
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Boise, ID
Replied Mar 7 2023, 08:02

@Alex Kovalenko what does your agreement say. Also what kind of condition was the property in. The fixing a chair seem a bit odd, but likely is getting someone out there. It is hard to get contractors out of bed for less than $100 unless you have an ongoing relationship. 

You need to verify these issues, but if the property was left in bad shape it is quite possible there will be a turnover period where as things are getting settled in the issues will arise and it should plan out. However there should be good communication on these items and it should make sense. 

Best of luck!

User Stats

Votes
Mohammed Rahman
Agent
  • Real Estate Broker
  • New York, NY
Votes |
Agent
  • Real Estate Broker
  • New York, NY
Replied Mar 7 2023, 08:21

@Alex Kovalenko - a few questions to ask: 

1. Do you think the property needed a lot of the work done to it before hosting it as a STR?

2. Is the property manager mainly dealing with larger clients? If so, a one off client like yourself may get charged higher rates. 

3. Ask for receipts & breakdowns wherever possible. 

Typically a reputable PM won't make up random costs since they know their reputation is on the line, especially if they've served a specific region for long enough. 

User Stats

Votes
Alex Kovalenko
Votes |
Replied Mar 7 2023, 10:22

Thanks all for your answers - yes I am investigating. I am frustred with lack of communication and random expenses that are in thousands of dollars even though we are only with them for a few months. I did request to authorize any extras by me and not proceed without my OK. What are your thoughts - does your PM do similar things? Like I feel the markups a bit insane. And these are on top of their monthly fees + 20% commission off each booking (like they got all their bookings off Airbnb) 

Example are and all of these are just in a few months! 

$1k in purchasing a few paintings (to make it more appealing) and hanging them , as well as assembling a table outside ;

$600 power wash the house ; 

$100 to throw away garbage ;

$400 investigating A/C and breaker ; 

$300 checking sprikler system; 

$50 freshup fee they charge us ;) - on top of $300 FEES they charge the tenant to clean 

etc... 

BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Jim Stutzman
Pro Member
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied Mar 7 2023, 10:47

Thanks all for your answers - yes I am investigating. I am frustred with lack of communication and random expenses that are in thousands of dollars even though we are only with them for a few months. I did request to authorize any extras by me and not proceed without my OK. What are your thoughts - does your PM do similar things? Like I feel the markups a bit insane. And these are on top of their monthly fees + 20% commission off each booking (like they got all their bookings off Airbnb) 

Example are and all of these are just in a few months! 

$1k in purchasing a few paintings (to make it more appealing) and hanging them , as well as assembling a table outside ;

$600 power wash the house ; 

$100 to throw away garbage ;

$400 investigating A/C and breaker ; 

$300 checking sprikler system; 

$50 freshup fee they charge us ;) - on top of $300 FEES they charge the tenant to clean 

etc... 

Are you under contract with your PM?  If not, I'd be interviewing other PMs.  

User Stats

Votes
Alex Kovalenko
Votes |
Replied Mar 7 2023, 11:28

So got an update on this - after inquiring more into it and speaking with PM over the phone - the PM sent me the following email ;) 

"Please take this email as my notice to terminate my property management agreement with you. I am giving you my 90-day notice as required per my management agreement. It appears that there is no trust from your side in our ability to manage your home which is reason enough for me to not continue this working relationship."

I followed up with an email asking how me asking why and how we spent $3k in extra fees is "no trust from my side". This is on top of another invoice they sent us in January for $500 for a washing machine leakage that they said they made a mistake and voided it. 

But in any case I guess it's for the best. Who do you recommend for short term PM in Cape Coral / Fort Myers / area? 

User Stats

Votes
Jim Stutzman
Pro Member
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied Mar 7 2023, 11:31

So got an update on this - after inquiring more into it and speaking with PM over the phone - the PM sent me the following email ;) 

"Please take this email as my notice to terminate my property management agreement with you. I am giving you my 90-day notice as required per my management agreement. It appears that there is no trust from your side in our ability to manage your home which is reason enough for me to not continue this working relationship."

I followed up with an email asking how me asking why and how we spent $3k in extra fees is "no trust from my side". This is on top of another invoice they sent us in January for $500 for a washing machine leakage that they said they made a mistake and voided it. 

But in any case I guess it's for the best. Who do you recommend for short term PM in Cape Coral / Fort Myers / area? 

They know they are screwing you. This was a blessing. 

User Stats

Votes
Stetson Miller
Agent
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Fort Myers, FL
Votes |
Agent
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Fort Myers, FL
Replied Mar 7 2023, 14:31

@Alex Kovalenko Feel free to post the company to help others that may fall in a similar situation. If you don't feel comfortable with that, please PM me so I can at least warn others

User Stats

Votes
Drew Sygit
Property Manager
Agent
#1 Out of State Investing Contributor
  • Property Manager
  • Royal Oak, MI
Votes |
Property Manager
Agent
#1 Out of State Investing Contributor
  • Property Manager
  • Royal Oak, MI
Replied Mar 7 2023, 14:35

@Alex Kovalenko sounds suspicious, but could be okay.

Recommend you require before & after pics/video of all repairs.

User Stats

Votes
Dave Skow
  • Lender
  • Seattle, WA
Votes |
  • Lender
  • Seattle, WA
Replied Mar 7 2023, 14:44

@Alex Kovalenko- sounds  suspect ....ask for  detailed  explanation and  supporting  receipts ...you might also  ask to be notified  before  any $s are spent in order to  double  check  ...what is he  charging for the PM?

User Stats

Votes
Ned J.
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Manteca, CA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Manteca, CA
Replied Mar 7 2023, 15:37

Hard to say...sometimes the PM is really doing what needs to be done....sometimes since its not their $$ the go overboard....sometimes they are screwing you since they may make a profit on each repair.....and sometimes its really just a matter of communication or lack of....

Sounds like a lot of $$ without LL pre-approval or providing more details

User Stats

Votes
Replied Mar 7 2023, 15:37
Yes Vladsilav - can you please send me the PM in Cape Coral area as well. Thanks. 

Quote from @Corey Lasky:

Dali 630-915-1752. I have been using him for Long term rentals, but they do STR as well

User Stats

Votes
Replied Mar 7 2023, 15:38
Quote from @Corey Lasky:

Dali 630-915-1752. I have been using him for Long term rentals, but they do STR as well

User Stats

Votes
Replied Mar 7 2023, 15:42
Quote from @Corey Lasky:

Thank you!
BiggerPockets logo
Network With Property Managers
|
BiggerPockets
Partnering with a property manager before you buy will boost your bottom line. Match and mingle with top property managers now!