Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 2 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Managing Your Property
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Brandon Harris
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Albany, OR
Votes |
Tenant moved out early, do I have to give notice to enter?

Brandon Harris
  • Albany, OR
Posted Aug 22 2022, 16:40

Hello,

Do I have to give notice to enter a rental if the tenant has moved out, but the lease hasn't ended?

I have a tenant with a lease ending 8/31. She emailed saying that she cleaned, she left the keys, garage door opener, etc. at the house, and she isn't planning on going back. 

I'd like to go an make sure everything is actually locked, do the final inspection, and start on turning the property. Do I have to give 24 hours notice still since she no longer lives there and has said she isn't planning on occupying it? I couldn't find anything specific in the ORS.

Thank you for any help you can provide.

User Stats

Votes
Sergey A. Petrov
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Seattle, WA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Seattle, WA
Replied Aug 22 2022, 16:46

You have (had) a great tenant. The keys have been turned in, the tenant said they were done and you should work on your next steps. I’d probably go sooner than later to avoid “when I left everything was perfect. I don’t know why there are so many issues there now since we did not even keys or access to the property”

User Stats

Votes
Isaac S.
Votes |

She emailed you her final termination of tenancy and returned the keys, I would say that you would be operating in the spirit of the law to consider the unit "vacant" as of the receipt of her email.

I am not a lawyer, nor am I familiar with the specifics of your area of operation.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Brandon Harris
  • Albany, OR
Votes |
  • Albany, OR
Replied Aug 22 2022, 17:06

@Sergey A. Petrov That's partially what I was thinking too. She has been really responsible so I don't think she would leave any problems intentionally, but there could always be an accident like a faucet left on or a door left unlocked.

@Isaac S. I'm thinking along the same lines as you. My fear is the devil is in the details. Oregon has become much stricter with rental laws that I don't want to violate anything because they may still be considered occupying it. 

User Stats

Votes
Brandon Harris
  • Albany, OR
Votes |
  • Albany, OR
Replied Aug 22 2022, 17:13

Took some digging. I believe I am ok to enter.

For the purposes of this chapter, delivery of possession occurs:

(1)

From the landlord to the tenant, when the landlord gives actual notice to the tenant that the tenant has the right under a rental agreement to occupy the dwelling unit to the exclusion of others. The right to occupy may be implied by actions such as the landlord’s delivery of the keys to the dwelling unit; and

(2)

From the tenant to the landlord at the termination of the tenancy, when:

(a)

The tenant gives actual notice to the landlord that the tenant has relinquished any right to occupy the dwelling unit to the exclusion of others. Relinquishment of the right to occupy may be implied by actions such as the tenant’s return of the keys to the dwelling unit;

(b)

After the expiration date of an outstanding termination of tenancy notice or the end of a term tenancy, the landlord reasonably believes under all the circumstances that the tenant has relinquished or no longer claims the right to occupy the dwelling unit to the exclusion of others; or

(c)

The landlord reasonably knows of the tenant’s abandonment of the dwelling unit. [1995 c.559 §9; 1999 c.603 §8]

User Stats

Votes
Nathan Gesner
Agent
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
Votes |
Agent
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
ModeratorReplied Aug 23 2022, 06:08
Quote from @Brandon Harris:

No. Her email is sufficient evidence of written termination. The rental is yours to possess.

• Property Manager Wyoming (#12599)

American West Realty & Management Logo

User Stats

Votes
Bud Gaffney
  • Boston, MA
Votes |
  • Boston, MA
Replied Aug 23 2022, 15:01

@Brandon Harris yes you can go in.