Facebook?

Facebook?

Investor · Seattle, WA · Member since 2011 · 84 posts · 10 votes

I've seen questions about using facebook, but it seems to be mostly people wondering if they should sign up. I have been on facebook for a few years. I was wondering what I should do now that I'm starting in the real estate business. I already made only my basics visible to non-friends, and not even all friends have full access to my profile and feed. I was also thinking of making a facebook page for my business at the same time I make a website. However, I know people are going to be searching for me and I already got a friend request last night after going to a REIA meeting. I'm going to throw some questions out there, so if you have any tips, let me know.

1) Should I make myself not searchable, thus also blocking myself from friends?
2) Should I have another profile - the problem with this is it will be empty and I don't like the idea of two identities.

Okay actually I don't remember the rest of the questions and ideas that were running through my head while driving a few minutes ago. Please let me know what you do or if you have any suggestions. It's not like my facebook is unprofessional, but it's not professional if that makes sense. If I had a professional profile, I would only post relevant stuff. However, my facebook is full of every facet of my life. I have my old high school friends, family, etc. It's not like it's incriminating, but random and silly.

I just like to be real and don't like the idea of monitoring my profile.

0Reply
22 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Investor · Mission, KS · Member since 2008 · 67 posts · 15 votes
15y

As a small investor it doesn't make sense to go through the time to create and maintain a separate FB page. FB pages work best for gurus & vendors in the real estate business, not people who strictly invest. I would stay with your personal one and not worry about "unprofessional" content. Everyone know what FB is and doesn't expect it to be all business all the time.

See this reply in the discussion

8 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Investor · Mission, KS · Member since 2008 · 67 posts · 15 votes
    15y

    As a small investor it doesn't make sense to go through the time to create and maintain a separate FB page. FB pages work best for gurus & vendors in the real estate business, not people who strictly invest. I would stay with your personal one and not worry about "unprofessional" content. Everyone know what FB is and doesn't expect it to be all business all the time.

  • Architect · Canton, OH · Member since 2011 · 1 post · 0 votes
    15y

    Hey Becky, Check out LinkedIn.com and make an account there if you haven't already. Its more geared towards business and connections. For facebook you could always make a public fan page and/or group with contact info ect

  • Investor · Seattle, WA · Member since 2011 · 84 posts · 10 votes
    15y

    I know about LinkedIn and I do plan to update my profile there. My question is not about "what should I sign up for" but more how to handle it when people (whether it's buyers, sellers, etc) find me and send me a friend request. I wasn't planning on using that profile. Are you suggesting I deny it and send them a message to connect with me on LinkedIn instead? Thanks for your input.

  • Homeowner · Burleson, TX · Member since 2008 · 756 posts · 376 votes
    15y

    I own rentals and I have a personal FB page. I never discuss my rental business on FB unless it is to promote a vacancy to rent. I don't really want my current tenants to be reading anything about my business on FB.

  • Real Estate Investor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2010 · 67 posts · 3 votes
    15y

    Facebook allows you to have "pages" for businesses. I have a page for the selling-to-investors aspect of my business. Theyre really easy to make and manage. People don't have to be your friends to follow that page. I don't add people I don't want to see my stuff on my personal page.

  • Residential Real Estate Broker · Breckenridge, CO · Member since 2011 · 5 posts · 0 votes
    15y

    I'm gald I found this thread and will have to check out "pages" for businesses.

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Seminole, FL · Member since 2010 · 859 posts · 316 votes
    15y

    I just mix it all together. I put postlets up for the investors, and that same day I may say something completely random. Its only backfired once with my mother in law. Dont get me started on that!

    But if people dont like the real me, then buck em. Ya know?

  • Real Estate Investor · Northeast TN, TN · Member since 2008 · 516 posts · 361 votes
    15y
    Originally posted by Jimmy C.:
    But if people dont like the real me, then buck em. Ya know?

    Now doesn't that just give a whole new meaning to the phrase "one buck deals"??? LOL
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.