Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 2 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Real Estate News & Current Events
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Dylan Osmon
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Mountain Home AR
Votes |
Where to set up shop!

Dylan Osmon
  • Mountain Home AR
Posted Nov 7 2020, 09:57

Hello, I am 22 years old deciding on where to set up home. I currently live in the area of the job I took after college. I no longer have that job and would like to get closer back to home(9 hours away). I know I will build a real estate empire, I just don't know the better part of the country to start. Yes, wanting to live there comes into play. This brings me to two locations, Golden Triangle area of MS or Northwest Arkansas (Fayetteville, Bentonville, Rogers). Golden Triangle(Columbus specifically) is a stagnant market. Population stays the same, real rough areas, less competition, and much cheaper prices. This is comparison to Northwest Arkansas: high population growth, high competition, much higher prices, and highly appreciating. 

What's better for someone starting off? My goal for this stage in life is to build my Cash Flow. I also don't have tons of money to invest yet(young and building a business). My gut would say Golden Triangle is the better bet. The Price-Rent ratio is much more favorable. There is a huge spread in neighborhoods which plays in favor of finding deals. You can still find deals under 75k, something of the past in a market like NWA, I would guess. Golden Triangle is a unique market including Starkville (huge college town), Columbus (smaller college town and Air Force Base), and West Point (pretty rough...). There is really 3 different markets there that each have unique characteristics. 

What do you think? Am I missing variables that I should be looking at when making this decision? 

User Stats

Votes
Lee Ripma
Pro Member
  • Prairie Village, KS
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Prairie Village, KS
Replied Nov 7 2020, 10:29

@Dylan Osmon

You’re ahead of the game doing this young. You can be successful in any RE market. I think most people want cash flow so they focus on cash flow. If you want cash flow focus on EQUITY. Equity can be converted to cash flow. My advice is figure out how to get 1M in equity in the next 3 years. So forced appreciation on properties to get that equity since you probably don’t have a ton of money just starting out.

User Stats

Votes
Adriano Caraco
  • Investor
  • Bentonville, AR
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Bentonville, AR
Replied Nov 7 2020, 10:39

I live in NWA and don’t recommend here, I personally invest out of state.
There are big and stablished developers and a lot of competition, the price to rent ratio is not good, 300k house rents for 1.4k. It is possible to make it work but Ohio would be much easier to find deals.

BiggerPockets logo
Network With Property Managers
|
BiggerPockets
Partnering with a property manager before you buy will boost your bottom line. Match and mingle with top property managers now!

User Stats

Votes
Dylan Osmon
  • Mountain Home AR
Votes |
  • Mountain Home AR
Replied Nov 7 2020, 10:49

@Lee Ripma thank you so much, I will try to change my mindset more to building equity. There is plenty of big investors out there that do it in small flat markets so maybe an over thought for population growth.

User Stats

Votes
Dylan Osmon
  • Mountain Home AR
Votes |
  • Mountain Home AR
Replied Nov 7 2020, 10:50

@Adriano Caraco

So glad you said that, that's what I see just scrolling MLS. Y'all have very low rents (considering) for how popular the area is and how many people move there. The Price Rent ratio seems tough for new guy competing with cash offers left and right.

User Stats

Votes
Lee Ripma
Pro Member
  • Prairie Village, KS
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Prairie Village, KS
Replied Nov 7 2020, 11:06

@Dylan Osmon

Different strategies and all of them work. I personally am willing to pay a bit more for growth markets but when I started I didn’t understand that. I was sold on cash flow. Well the highest cash flow is in the worst areas. So I try to help people understand how small the overall return is on cash flow compared to forced appreciation. You’ll figure it out. Pick somewhere, get going. Once you know some stuff you can always change course.

User Stats

Votes
Remington Lyman
Agent
#5 BRRRR - Buy, Rehab, Rent, Refinance, Repeat Contributor
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH
Votes |
Agent
#5 BRRRR - Buy, Rehab, Rent, Refinance, Repeat Contributor
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH
Replied Nov 7 2020, 14:04
Originally posted by @Dylan Osmon:

Hello, I am 22 years old deciding on where to set up home. I currently live in the area of the job I took after college. I no longer have that job and would like to get closer back to home(9 hours away). I know I will build a real estate empire, I just don't know the better part of the country to start. Yes, wanting to live there comes into play. This brings me to two locations, Golden Triangle area of MS or Northwest Arkansas (Fayetteville, Bentonville, Rogers). Golden Triangle(Columbus specifically) is a stagnant market. Population stays the same, real rough areas, less competition, and much cheaper prices. This is comparison to Northwest Arkansas: high population growth, high competition, much higher prices, and highly appreciating. 

What's better for someone starting off? My goal for this stage in life is to build my Cash Flow. I also don't have tons of money to invest yet(young and building a business). My gut would say Golden Triangle is the better bet. The Price-Rent ratio is much more favorable. There is a huge spread in neighborhoods which plays in favor of finding deals. You can still find deals under 75k, something of the past in a market like NWA, I would guess. Golden Triangle is a unique market including Starkville (huge college town), Columbus (smaller college town and Air Force Base), and West Point (pretty rough...). There is really 3 different markets there that each have unique characteristics. 

What do you think? Am I missing variables that I should be looking at when making this decision? 

Move to Columbus, Ohio and set up shop! Lots of opportunities out here. I moved from CT to Ohio when I went to The Ohio State University in '12 and never left.

User Stats

Votes
Adriano Caraco
  • Investor
  • Bentonville, AR
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Bentonville, AR
Replied Nov 7 2020, 14:53

I would recommend listening to @Lee Ripma podcast, I learned a lot from that podcast.

User Stats

Votes
Dylan Osmon
  • Mountain Home AR
Votes |
  • Mountain Home AR
Replied Nov 7 2020, 14:59

@Remington Lyman

Haha, that’s a wee bit further from home. Starkville would be my college town too, great environment to live in!

User Stats

Votes
Dylan Osmon
  • Mountain Home AR
Votes |
  • Mountain Home AR
Replied Nov 7 2020, 14:59

@Adriano Caraco

I’ll check it out!

User Stats

Votes
Ryan Blackstone
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Fayetteville, AR
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Fayetteville, AR
Replied Nov 7 2020, 16:03

All I know is NWA. It is a great market if you are thinking wealth creation. We are one of the fastest growing areas. That being said, what things are selling for on the open market is way higher than I would be willing to pay due to the low return. However, there are still plenty of deals off market that you can prospect for. The other way I have seen people win in this market is house-hacking. The numbers work better at a higher price if it is a house-hack. We have seen 11% increase year over year. If you are young and wanting to BRRR. I think its a great market. However, for a great deal you must prospect off market.

User Stats

Votes
Jamie Atkinson
  • Rogers, AR
Votes |
  • Rogers, AR
Replied Nov 8 2020, 03:48

@Remington Lyman

Haha, that’s a wee bit further from home. Starkville would be my college town too, great environment to live in!

Dylan, I'm not from NWA but have been investing there for 14 years.  What initially drew my interest was the college town, Fayetteville.  It reminded me a lot of my college town (Athens, GA) but with more economic anchors (ie job growth).  I had never even been there when I made my first purchase.

Personally, I wouldn't overlook Starkville.  One thing I always say to folks, have you ever seen a state university contract or get smaller? The answer is a resounding 'no'.  Companies come and go, but big state universities and governments aren't going anywhere.  

My .02 is that the ship has already sailed on NWA.  Inventory is picked over and prices are quite high.  I look for some real high value mid-markets in the South and Midwest....places just like NWA.  The pandemic has created a sea change that has not fully manifested itself.  When I was a student, I never wanted to leave Athens....but I was forced to because the jobs were in Atlanta. I sense that will no longer be the case moving forward.  College towns are rich in culture, arts, quality of life, etc... the drawback has always been a lack of professional jobs.  You could become a 'townie' and stay, or you could get a 'real job.' 

User Stats

Votes
Dylan Osmon
  • Mountain Home AR
Votes |
  • Mountain Home AR
Replied Nov 8 2020, 06:41

@Jamie Atkinson

Great insight! Yes I love college towns too. NWA just seems like a much tougher market for a new guy. Like I said, the price rent ratio is dismal, but appreciation there is no joke.

BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Zeke Liston
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH
Votes |
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH
Replied Nov 10 2020, 10:37

This can be broken into 3 easy steps: 1. Move to Columbus 2. House-Hack 3. Make money. 

User Stats

Votes
Dylan Osmon
  • Mountain Home AR
Votes |
  • Mountain Home AR
Replied Nov 10 2020, 10:40

@Zeke Liston

Will you simplify that?...

Just kidding, I think you’re right, I just second guess myself too much sometimes.

User Stats

Votes
Zeke Liston
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH
Votes |
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH
Replied Nov 10 2020, 11:24

@Zeke Liston

Will you simplify that?...

Just kidding, I think you’re right, I just second guess myself too much sometimes.

Haha, the first deal is always tough, it'll become second nature after you get your feet wet.