Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 2 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Real Estate News & Current Events
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes

Puerto Rico investing help please!

Posted Aug 27 2022, 18:48

What is the best way to find a lender in Puerto Rico. We are thinking of buying an investment property in Puerto Rico and I would like to try to get a pre-approval before my trip there in October. Also I am not bilingual. Any advice would be helpful thank you. Also I'm not quite sure how it works as far as agents go I saw something that buyers and sellers both don't have their own agents?

User Stats

Votes
Replied Aug 27 2022, 19:22
Quote from @Charleen Nicole Russo:

What is the best way to find a lender in Puerto Rico. We are thinking of buying an investment property in Puerto Rico and I would like to try to get a pre-approval before my trip there in October. Also I am not bilingual. Any advice would be helpful thank you. Also I'm not quite sure how it works as far as agents go I saw something that buyers and sellers both don't have their own agents?

I am from the island, looking for investment property but i don’t know the process either.  

User Stats

Votes
Kathryn Morea
  • Developer
Votes |
  • Developer
Replied Aug 31 2022, 14:35

Hi Charleen, I have relationships with several lenders on the island (and they speak English) but getting a loan for an investment property is very different that on the mainland.  I've heard it's possible.  Not sure I've seen it actually done.  If you have great documentation W-2 type income and you are not looking for the exact same thing that everyone else is looking (eg, a condo in a tourist area that won't allow airbnb's anyway) or a small multifamily in metro San Juan) then you may be in luck.  Be aware that it is a hot market in PR (still hot) and sellers shy away from offers that are not all cash.  I just want to set your expectations.  There are tons and tons of deals in PR for cash buyers and partnerships if that is something you would consider.

Vacasa logo
Vacasa
|
Sponsored
We do the work. You get the ROI. We do it all for your vacation rental. All—marketing, pricing, guest requests, housekeeping & more.

User Stats

Votes
Ivan Reyes
  • Real Estate Investor
  • San Juan, Puerto Rico
Votes |
  • Real Estate Investor
  • San Juan, Puerto Rico
Replied Feb 26 2023, 09:54

Hi Charleen,

I'm a Mortgage Banker with Metro Island Mortgage in San Juan. I recently moved to Puerto Rico from the U S.

If you need a cracker-jack mortgage professional with 16 years in the bag, do give a call. I answer my phone, and respond to all my emails and texts. I'll never give you any BS.

Purchasing in PR can be complicated so I strive in making the process above board. I'm also fluent in Spanish.

MY FB Page

User Stats

Votes
Caroline Gerardo
  • Lender
  • Laguna Niguel, CA
Votes |
  • Lender
  • Laguna Niguel, CA
Replied Feb 26 2023, 10:03

Puerto Rico got D ratings from Moody's/S&P and others recently for the state. Lending is tight because. FHA owner occupied is a great opportunity. I am licensed in PR and know agents if you want some names of english speaking agents who negotiate in PR Spanish.

User Stats

Votes
Aaron T.
Pro Member
  • Developer
  • Aguada, PR
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Developer
  • Aguada, PR
Replied Mar 28 2023, 07:12

If you want a lender for a property on the island, they must have an established bricks and motor bank on the island. Even PENFED won't help you unless you talk to their on-island branch. 

Closings may have shortened, but my last closing took 6 months. 

User Stats

Votes
Replied Jul 23 2024, 17:10
Quote from @Caroline Gerardo:

Puerto Rico got D ratings from Moody's/S&P and others recently for the state. Lending is tight because. FHA owner occupied is a great opportunity. I am licensed in PR and know agents if you want some names of english speaking agents who negotiate in PR Spanish.

Hi there! 
Any chance you could recommend lenders that provide FHA owner occupied loans in Puerto Rico ? Thanks again

User Stats

Votes
Aaron T.
Pro Member
  • Developer
  • Aguada, PR
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Developer
  • Aguada, PR
Replied Aug 2 2024, 09:07
Quote from @Maria Rusinque:
Quote from @Caroline Gerardo:

Hi there! 
Any chance you could recommend lenders that provide FHA owner occupied loans in Puerto Rico ? Thanks again

check with the local COOPS, banco popular, 1st bank, etc... you should be able to google banks in the local area. the hard part is getting them to answer the phone. if you have to show up to talk to someone, be prepared to wait in line or spend a day there.