Completed My First BRRRR (With $0 Down) ! + Photos & Details

Completed My First BRRRR (With $0 Down) ! + Photos & Details

Tony RobinsonBusiness Member
Rental Property Investor · Eastvale, CA · Member since 2017 · 138 posts · 459 votes

Hey BP Community!

First, I want to thank you all for the incredible amount of knowledge and support I’ve received from members of this community. I truly believe I would not have closed this deal without Bigger Pockets and all of the resources that it offers. I’m truly GRATEFUL for the relationships I’ve been able to build just by being a member.

I closed on my first investment property in the Fall of 2019 and want to share my experience with everyone. My goal is to show those of you on the sidelines that it truly is possible to get started!

Background:

I live in California but decided to invest out of state. I chose Shreveport, Louisiana because I had family in the area and after visiting and seeing the real estate prices, I decided it’d be a great market to get my feet wet.

I also found a bank in that market that was willing to lend 100% of the purchase price AND the rehab if I found a good enough deal (more on that later).

The Deal:

My realtor and I had been searching for about a month before we came across this deal. It was listed on the MLS for $130,000.

I knew that zip code pretty well, and after confirming with my realtor, we were confident that the house could appraise for at least $215,000 after being rehabbed.

I asked my realtor to put an offer in at $110,000, and she told me I should go lower to $100,000 (that’s the kind of realtor that EVERY investor should be looking for!). I took her advice and made the offer at $100,000.

As my agent was prepping the offer, I asked my GC (who was referred by both my realtor and my mortgage officer at the bank) to swing by the property and draw up a bid based on some reference properties I sent him.


My agent got back to me, and lo and behold, they accepted the offer!

The Financing:

Here’s the best part of the story.

My bank in Shreveport, Aneca Federal Credit Union, offers an AMAZING loan program that allows me to fund 100% of the purchase price AND the rehab as long as the total is 72% or less of the ARV.

I was simultaneously talking with the bank while working with my GC and realtor. I let the bank know what the offer price was, the rehab bid amount, and what my realtor said the ARV should come out to.

They double-checked the numbers on their side, and then we were off to the races!

That’s a huge benefit of working with smaller, local banks. They know the market because they live there. And they typically have more flexibility than the larger, national banks.

The Rehab and Renting:

Once the deal closed, my GC got to work.

The house was built in the 50s, and the entire thing hadn’t been touched since then. There was this crazy parquet flooring throughout the house, all of the bathrooms had pink tile, there was this odd room right off the kitchen that no one could really tell what it was used for, exterior and interior paint was peeling and dated… to name a few.

Since I lived out of state, I would check in the GC on a weekly basis to see how things were coming along. One of the good things about having the bank fund the rehab was that they would send a bank representative to inspect all of the work being done before releasing a draw to the GC. So I had a built-in team member to validate that the work the GC said he was doing, was actually getting done.

The rehab was originally slated to last 8 weeks, and it ended up taking 12. But all in all, I was happy with the end result.

Once the rehab was completed, the keys were passed off to my Property Manager. We originally listed the property for $1,600, and it sat for over a week with little activity. We dropped it again to $1,550, and still not much activity after another week and a half.

We dropped the price one more time, and almost immediately found a family that wanted to sign a two-year lease! It took four weeks in total, but I was glad to find a great family that wanted to say long term.

The Result:

I feel this was a great first deal. I paid ZERO money out of pocket to close the deal and complete the rehab. My only costs were an inspection fee upfront of about $300 and the interest-only mortgage payments.

Purchase Price: $100,000

Rehab: $55,000

After Repair Value: $230,000

Rent: $1,500

Lessons Learned:

Review the Rehab Bid with Excruciating Detail: There were items in my rehab that we probably could've gone without and achieved the same ARV. The property came out great, but I left some money on the table here.

When You Think You’ve Got a Good Deal, Offer Less: I got a great deal at $100,000, but I missed my profit target. My property taxes shot up a bit more than I had planned. Had I started with a more aggressive offer price, I’d have more money left over at the end of each month. Your first offer should make you feel uncomfortable.

Find the Price Right for Your Rental: My property sat vacant for an entire month because we priced too aggressively. I had to make an extra mortgage payment out of my own pocket because I was pushing for an extra $100 in rent.

Time Your Refinance: I purchased this property using an interest-only construction loan at 6.0% interest. They told me I could either refinance as soon as the construction was complete (Month 3) or wait another three months to do a cash-out refinance. I chose to refinance immediately because I assumed (incorrectly) that a 30 year fixed mortgage at 4.75% would be cheaper than the 6.0% interest-only.

I was wrong.

The 30 year fixed mortgage was more expensive because it also includes escrow payments for my property taxes and home insurance, whereas the interest-only didn’t. For my next property, I made the decision to stick with the interest-only for the entire six month period, and then do a cash-out refinance.

Your First Deal is Mean to Teach!: I preach this all the time, but I truly believe that your first deal is meant to educate you. It’s meant to show you the ropes, and build a foundation that allows you to close on your second, third, fourth and fifth deals. Even if I only would’ve broken even on this deal, I would consider it a win because the true value came in the form of lessons learned.

Before and After:

Again, I’m truly grateful for this community and I’m happy to answer any questions that you have. I’ve learned a lot from this deal and I’m happy to share the good and the bad. I’m a normal guy, with a family and a full-time job. I had zero real estate experience prior to this deal, but I still got it done. So you can too!

Thank you so much for reading!

371Reply
1,502 views

Most Popular Reply

Member since 2019 · 11 posts · 20 votes
6y

This is really amazing. Thank you for sharing the full process in a digestible way. It seems that it was a huge learning experience. The takeaway is to go for it. The pictures look great.

See this reply in the discussion

312 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · MA · Member since 2019 · 6 posts · 1 vote
    6y

    Great job Tony. Sounds like a home run especially locating a lender that financed 100%! Thank you for sharing! 

  • New to Real Estate · Fontana, CA · Member since 2020 · 2 posts · 6 votes
    6y

    @Tony Robinson Wow wow wow! So amazing! Congratulations! Thank you so much for your transparency and sharing this. I’m from CA too and looking to invest OOS and your story is very inspiring. It also goes to show how important a good team is!

  • Tony RobinsonBusiness Member
    OP
    Rental Property Investor · Eastvale, CA · Member since 2017 · 138 posts · 459 votes
    6y

    @GARY BROWN thank you!! I’d consider it a “base hit” ;) but happy to have gotten the first one out of the way!

  • Tony RobinsonBusiness Member
    OP
    Rental Property Investor · Eastvale, CA · Member since 2017 · 138 posts · 459 votes
    6y

    @Katherine Rosa happy to share, and glad you found some encouragement in the post! I’m in Eastvale, just down the road from Fontana. Feel free to reach out whenever!

    Do you have a target market in mind?

  • Lender · Indianapolis, IN · Member since 2017 · 9 posts · 5 votes
    6y

    @Tony Robinson wow! This was a very helpful post! Thank you for explaining it in detail like this. 🥳

  • Tony RobinsonBusiness Member
    OP
    Rental Property Investor · Eastvale, CA · Member since 2017 · 138 posts · 459 votes
    6y

    @Angel Harris thank you! And happy to help!

  • Member since 2020 · 1 post · 2 votes
    6y

    @Tony Robinson Thanks for the post! I’m in California looking out of state too so it’s nice to hear your success.

  • Rental Property Investor · San Francisco, CA · Member since 2019 · 60 posts · 17 votes
    6y

    @Tony Robinson Congrats!! 👏🏽👏🏽 I am also from California in the Bay Area and trying to find a house that I can hack. I love hearing stories like yours to keep other BP members inspired and motivated! Planning on investing out of state as well! Congrats again!

  • New to Real Estate · Fontana, CA · Member since 2020 · 2 posts · 6 votes
    6y

    @Tony Robinson Oh yeah Eastvale is close! We’re looking at the Spokane, WA/Coeur d’Alene, ID area since I have family there and we’re somewhat familiar with the area. However, we’re also researching different markets to see what aligns with our goals and budget.

  • Lake Charles, LA · Member since 2016 · 99 posts · 54 votes
    6y

    @Tony Robinson

    Awesome job! Looks great!

    How the heck do you post pictures on here BTW?

  • Flipper/Rehabber · New York, NY · Member since 2018 · 5 posts · 1 vote
    6y

    Awesome and congrats!

  • Real Estate Broker · Kansas City Metro · Member since 2015 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    6y

    I think I missed the beginning part? What market did you invest in out of state and what type of returns are you getting if you can share? Cap rate, coc, cashflow?

  • Rental Property Investor · Tampa, FL · Member since 2020 · 9 posts · 1 vote
    6y

    @Tony Robinson congrats and great job. Thank you for sharing. I am in the middle of my first deal/project, and you are correct, you do learn a lot.

  • Investor · Windham, NH · Member since 2020 · 1 post · 1 vote
    6y

    Looks good man, nice!

  • New to Real Estate · DE · Member since 2020 · 5 posts · 2 votes
    6y

    @Tony Robinson thank you for sharing.

  • Tony RobinsonBusiness Member
    OP
    Rental Property Investor · Eastvale, CA · Member since 2017 · 138 posts · 459 votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Logan Jame:

    @Tony Robinson Thanks for the post! I’m in California looking out of state too so it’s nice to hear your success.

     Absolutely! Happy to share my story. Have you decided on a state yet? 

  • Tony RobinsonBusiness Member
    OP
    Rental Property Investor · Eastvale, CA · Member since 2017 · 138 posts · 459 votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Jay Maranan:

    @Tony Robinson Congrats!! 👏🏽👏🏽 I am also from California in the Bay Area and trying to find a house that I can hack. I love hearing stories like yours to keep other BP members inspired and motivated! Planning on investing out of state as well! Congrats again!

    Thank you! Lot's of California folks on this thread looking to invest out of state. And good luck with the house hack! Lot's of people using that strategy with great success. @Xavier Marin can chime in and share his experience (he's got a GREAT story). 

  • Tony RobinsonBusiness Member
    OP
    Rental Property Investor · Eastvale, CA · Member since 2017 · 138 posts · 459 votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @David Mathews:

    @Tony Robinson

    Awesome job! Looks great!

    How the heck do you post pictures on here BTW?

    Thank you!  And I just dragged and dropped them in!  

  • Tony RobinsonBusiness Member
    OP
    Rental Property Investor · Eastvale, CA · Member since 2017 · 138 posts · 459 votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Luis Peguero:

    Awesome and congrats!

    Thanks Luis! 

  • Tony RobinsonBusiness Member
    OP
    Rental Property Investor · Eastvale, CA · Member since 2017 · 138 posts · 459 votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Alex Olson:

    I think I missed the beginning part? What market did you invest in out of state and what type of returns are you getting if you can share? Cap rate, coc, cashflow?

    No worries, I know it was a long post! The property is in Shreveport, LA. Returns and CoC are technically infinite because I invested $0 into the purchase or rehab (just the carrying costs). The property is currently rented out for $1,500 and all of my expenses, including management, are about $1300.

  • Tony RobinsonBusiness Member
    OP
    Rental Property Investor · Eastvale, CA · Member since 2017 · 138 posts · 459 votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Duwayne Mc:

    @Tony Robinson congrats and great job. Thank you for sharing. I am in the middle of my first deal/project, and you are correct, you do learn a lot.

     Thank you! I definitely learned a lot as well. Good luck on your first deal too :) 

  • Tony RobinsonBusiness Member
    OP
    Rental Property Investor · Eastvale, CA · Member since 2017 · 138 posts · 459 votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Justin Siebert:

    Looks good man, nice!

    Thank you! 

  • Tony RobinsonBusiness Member
    OP
    Rental Property Investor · Eastvale, CA · Member since 2017 · 138 posts · 459 votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Katina Clarke:

    @Tony Robinson thank you for sharing.

    Absolutely, happy to share!! 

  • Rental Property Investor · Houston, TX · Member since 2020 · 2 posts · 2 votes
    6y

    @Tony Robinson thanks so much for this example of a script to use!!

  • CA · Member since 2014 · 244 posts · 47 votes
    6y

    @Tony Robinson congrats.

    curious how tough it was to find a lender to cover 100% of purchase price, any special type of mortgage or tips on how get it.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.