Eight year numbers

Eight year numbers

Houston, TX · Member since 2012 · 33 posts · 13 votes

I sat down and input my data for the last eight years into Excel.... Just thought I would share....

I like to think I am fully aware of my RE numbers as I think about them every day, but while the numbers and concepts were intuitive, some of them are a bit surprising.

As I acquired properties, my vacancy rate went down. Things didn't actually change. It looks like this happened only because the number of properties increased. Thus, the vacancies spread over more units. Similarly, when I had fewer properties, my vacancy rate would swing wildly--from 50% to 0% to 25%. With more properties, it stays in the 8-12% range. It seems that having more properties is less risky than having fewer properties.

With more properties, when I apply my average vacancy rate over the term (weighted for the number of properties) to my current properties, it comes out nearly to the dollar.... Good to know for future planning.

My actual expenses (and I counted very single penny, literally down to the postage stamps), are somewhat higher than I thought. Of all my expenses, repair expenses make up nearly 1/3d.

My repair costs were just over $200 per unit when I was really acquiring properties vs. the low $60 per unit when I am not acquiring properties--which makes sense as the make ready costs are larger when acquiring vacant properties.

If I had all properties mortgaged (which I don't), they would make up significantly less than 1/2 of all my expenses--so paying off the mortgages would add less than a 1/4 income boost--which is a lot less than I would have guessed. Guess I won't be paying off any more properties early.

Management fees are pretty nominal in comparison to all other expenses--which I wouldn't have guessed either.... Maybe it is the annoyance of seeing any amount for this line item, when I know I could do it myself (but see the last point below)...

My low income duplexes are killing my other higher income SFRs in terms of net income. The super low taxes (I didn't realize how low) and, to a lesser extent, mortgage payments are a big part of it. They also have lower vacancies and lower repair costs. I would not have guessed that was true.

And the one property I manage has the highest repair costs of any of them, even though the other properties had more extensive repairs.... Part of this is probably due to the markets they are in, but the other part is probably due to my PM having cheaper contractors/connections. Maybe I need to think about hiring a PM for this one too, as the savings there would pay for a PM....

1Reply
17 views

5 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Northern, CA · Member since 2012 · 5k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    13y

    Very interesting Keith. Especially the part about the property you manage having higher repair costs.

  • Investor · nowhere, TX · Member since 2012 · 242 posts · 84 votes
    13y

    Keith, that was an interesting analysis. I'd like to see more people post this kind of information. I have two rentals and look forward to someday having 8-12% vacancy instead of large variation between 0,50 or 100%.

    I liked this line

    "It seems that having more properties is less risky than having fewer properties."

  • Specialist · Portland, OR · Member since 2010 · 3k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    13y

    Averaging over more years helps absorb the ups and downs too.

    What are your overall repair expenses in a percentage including maintenance, repairs and capex? What age are your properties? Have you done roofs, furnaces, exterior paint?

    8-12% vacancy is huge. Is that typical for the area?

  • Investor · Cincinnati, OH · Member since 2010 · 1k+ posts · 928 votes
    13y

    Yes, thanks for sharing. While 8 yrs is a decent period of time, it does not cover the 15-20yr life span of roof and mechanical systems, so very difficult to draw conclusions unless estimates are provided of the remaining useful life of these capital items at the outset, and at present.

    Also hugely variable results would be expected based on the grade of neighborhood and properties, age and size of properties, and amount of rehab done on the front end.

  • Houston, TX · Member since 2012 · 33 posts · 13 votes
    13y

    Jeff, I meant 4-12%--typo. Was doing this too late last night. I have done complete remodels (including roofs, electrical and plumbing on most). That factors into why the vacancy made it all the way to 12%. Currently, absent the units vacant for repair, I have 100% occupancy.

    Dave, the repairs are extensive (as described above). All houses in the area were built between 30s-50s or 60s-80s. There isn't really anything new there. It is one of the mid-sized, college-town, inexpensive cities here in Texas. Most of my SFRs built in the 80s--maybe 1 was built in the 50s. The SFRs are almost all the same in terms of design, features, and location--as throughout most of the city. The SFRs are in B neighborhoods and the duplexes are in a C-D neighborhood.

    I would have added more than 8 years of data, but that is all I could muster in one day. I may add the rest, but, really, I had so few properties back then that I don't think it would add much.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.