Diary of a Construction Business Startup

Diary of a Construction Business Startup

Lexington, NC · Member since 2019 · 28 posts · 19 votes

Hello everyone! My name is Seth Davis. I introduced myself earlier in the newbie forum. Feel free to and read my post if you have time.

I have recently decided to pursue a new passion of mine which is building and construction. I'm 39 years old, but I figured it's never too late to get started with something new. Plus, it helps keep the brain in tip-top shape! I have been a professional software developer for 20 years now, and absolutely love technology and programming, but I'm looking for something to spark that imagination and wonder again, and building and construction seems to be doing that. I never went to college, so I only have a high-school diploma. Everything I know was self taught, or learned from mentors along the way. Over the years I have realized that if you are genuinely interested in something that someone is passionate about, they will teach you things about it that you could never learn from a book.

My initial plan is to do spec builds, particularly technologically-advanced spec builds: Smart, robust home network, and high speed / reliable indoor/outdoor Wi-Fi. I figured I would try to play to my strengths.

The goal of this thread is to basically document my entire process of starting my business from the ground up and pursuing (and hopefully completing) my first build. Please feel free to criticize, advise, ask questions, or anything else, as I will be doing the same along the way. This will be an on-going thread. So, without further adieu, let's get caught up with what I have done so far.


Goals
You need goals. Goals help fuel the passion. Here are my personal goals for this journey:

1-3 Months
- Finish studying for GC exam
- Register and take the exam (pass the exam!)
- Find the most useful accounting software (Freshbooks seems good so far)
- Begin learning the PlanSwift estimating software
- Research local real estate sales and land availability
- Meet up with the accountant and get the business structure in place
- Meet up with a family member who just graduated interior and structural design school and hash out a great floor plan
- Get a few polos and t-shirts printed with the company logo and pass out to friends and family who have been supporting this endeavor

3-6 Months
- Meet with mentor and begin shadowing and learning the ins-and-outs of general contracting
- Meet with plumber about partnering up for a spec build
- Meet with realtor and begin searching for a great piece of land
- Meet with lawyer and setup some of the more mundane boiler-plate contracts
- Research local material companies, lumberyards, etc and begin setting up relationships for purchasing materials
- Go to the county permit office and learn the processes and costs for applying for permits

6-12 Months
- Acquire a piece of land to build upon that has been soil bearing and perk tested, in a good location, and minimal tree/brush clearing if possible
- Provide the architect with the floor plan and house design so they can stamp and complete the plans package (foundation, joist, floor, electrical, mechanical, side, site, roof, and detail views)
- Finalize partnership with plumber and get contracts in place for how funds will be managed
- Finalize partnership with mentor for sub-contractors and get contracts in place
- Get a building permit!
- Verify sedimentation control and land disturbing requirements
- Break ground and build a house!

3 Year
- Average 2-3 builds per year
- Have enough working capital to not require loans or private funding to do one build
- Begin searching for simultaneous funding sources
- Pursue 2 builds simultaneously
- Begin building for clients, not just spec homes

5 Year
- Have enough business to be able to quit programming and grow my business full-time
- 3-6 builds per year


Up To This Point
So, most of my time has been consumed with getting this GC license. I didn't realize just how hard this test is going to be until I started studying for it.

But here is what I did to get to this point with the GC license:
- I went to https://nclbgc.org/, downloaded the application and filled it out. I chose the limited license, which means I can build residential structures up to $500,000
- I asked 3 of my friends for the required reference letters. They were awesome letters!
- I mailed in the application package: The application, the 3 reference letters, and a $75 check
- After about a month, I received my eligibility letter. This letter gives you a code that you will use to register for the exam
- At this point, I purchased my first book, Pipe and Excavation. I started reading it from page one. Once I got to page 20, I realized just how much material was going to have to be covered if I went from cover to cover in the 10 books that the questions on the exam are pulled from. I mean, this is over 10,000 pages of information.
- I decided to purchase a study guide from https://www.carolinaseminars.com/. The study guide came quickly and seems to be very thorough. It has practice tests and audio CDs, and a well-laid out study guide
- I have been studying around an hour and a half every night for the past 2 months, and I still feel like I'm not ready
- You have 4 months from when you receive your eligibility letter to register and take the exam. My letter expires July 28, 2019. I may schedule the exam around the 5th of July. The exams are through psiexams
- I paid $20 and took a practice test and didn't do so hot, so I'm going to keep studying

As far as the business side of the story, I have just done a few things:
- I tried out freshbooks for the account software. It's pretty straightforward and simple, which I like, and they have a nice mobile app which is essential.
- I downloaded PlanSwift estimating software, since that's what my mentor uses. It's going to be a beast to learn, but there are plenty of YouTube tutorials, so I'll be watching those and following along to learn the software.
- I swapped out my iPad for a Microsoft Surface Book, since the estimating software is windows-only. 
- I designed my own logo. 
- I registered my domain name. I'll be hosting my WordPress website on my server at my house. 
- All of your business startup costs are deductible, so I have been keeping a list of everything that I do and it's cost.

Well, that's about it for now. I'll keep posting to this thread as I make more headway into this adventure. Feel free to ask questions or make comments. I'll be sure to answer them!

Thanks for reading!

4Reply
109 views

27 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Lexington, NC · Member since 2019 · 28 posts · 19 votes
    7y

    UPDATE 1:

    Well, I have scheduled the GC exam for June 21, next Friday.  This will be a long week of studying, highlighting, and tabbing books to try my best to be ready and pass this thing on the first try.

    I also reached out to my accountant and let him know I'm ready to sit down and discuss which business model I should pursue.  We will schedule something here soon and I'll be sure to update everyone on what we talked about.

  • Rental Property Investor · West Lafayette, IN · Member since 2012 · 40 posts · 10 votes
    7y

    @Seth Davis

    I like your idea. You will be the GC while other contractors do the actual work right?

    I’m asking because I have little experience in residential construction.

    I’ve never built anything, I have just fixed things that were already built.

    Have you thought about getting your RE broker license so that you can sell it as well and save a little $?

  • Lexington, NC · Member since 2019 · 28 posts · 19 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Koel Gaylord:

    @Seth Davis

    I like your idea. You will be the GC while other contractors do the actual work right?

    I’m asking because I have little experience in residential construction.

    I’ve never built anything, I have just fixed things that were already built.

    Have you thought about getting your RE broker license so that you can sell it as well and save a little $?

     Hi. Yes, I will hire sub contractors to do the majority of the work. I may do the electrical myself, as I could save a large chunk of change with that. I will also do the low-voltage wiring myself (cat5, cable tv, security system, etc)

    I honestly haven’t thought of getting my RE license. If I did that and sold the house with my license, do I still have to pay partial percentages to the buyer’s agent?

  • Investor · NJ · Member since 2018 · 869 posts · 921 votes
    7y

    Great progress! 

    Why not also do renovations? Building houses is great but there's alot of money in building custom kitchens and bathrooms as well. 

    Same with the low voltage communications/ smart homes. There's good money in high end areas where people want them installed in existing homes. 

  • Lexington, NC · Member since 2019 · 28 posts · 19 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @George W.:

    Great progress! 

    Why not also do renovations? Building houses is great but there's alot of money in building custom kitchens and bathrooms as well. 

    Same with the low voltage communications/ smart homes. There's good money in high end areas where people want them installed in existing homes. 

     I certainly won’t rule out renovations, especially new additions and such. Those have been on my radar to research for sure, as a friend of mine has already expressed interest in a garage addition.

    As far as the smart home updates, I would definitely sub out that install work. Fishing cables through old work is miserable. But generally, people installing specific systems like that expect on-going support, and that in itself is a whole different ballgame.

  • Investor · NJ · Member since 2018 · 869 posts · 921 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Seth Davis:
    Originally posted by @George W.:

    Great progress! 

    Why not also do renovations? Building houses is great but there's alot of money in building custom kitchens and bathrooms as well. 

    Same with the low voltage communications/ smart homes. There's good money in high end areas where people want them installed in existing homes. 

     I certainly won’t rule out renovations, especially new additions and such. Those have been on my radar to research for sure, as a friend of mine has already expressed interest in a garage addition.

    As far as the smart home updates, I would definitely sub out that install work. Fishing cables through old work is miserable. But generally, people installing specific systems like that expect on-going support, and that in itself is a whole different ballgame.

     Yeah the good thing with construction is that there's a wide range of options. Personally I find that small to medium sized jobs have higher profit margins and less headaches. 

  • Lexington, NC · Member since 2019 · 28 posts · 19 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @George W.:
    Originally posted by @Seth Davis:
    Originally posted by @George W.:

    Great progress! 

    Why not also do renovations? Building houses is great but there's alot of money in building custom kitchens and bathrooms as well. 

    Same with the low voltage communications/ smart homes. There's good money in high end areas where people want them installed in existing homes. 

     I certainly won’t rule out renovations, especially new additions and such. Those have been on my radar to research for sure, as a friend of mine has already expressed interest in a garage addition.

    As far as the smart home updates, I would definitely sub out that install work. Fishing cables through old work is miserable. But generally, people installing specific systems like that expect on-going support, and that in itself is a whole different ballgame.

     Yeah the good thing with construction is that there's a wide range of options. Personally I find that small to medium sized jobs have higher profit margins and less headaches. 

     One of my concerns starting out is the marketing aspect of finding jobs. I feel like with a spec, I can immediately get started (even though at the end, you still have to sell it to get your monies)

  • Investor · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2010 · 739 posts · 372 votes
    7y

    @Seth Davis

    What is this GC exam you speak of.

    OSHA 30?

  • Lexington, NC · Member since 2019 · 28 posts · 19 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Chris Purcell:

    @Seth Davis

    What is this GC exam you speak of.

    OSHA 30?

     Hey Chris. It’s the General Contractor’s exam. It does include some OSHA questions though.

  • Investor · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2010 · 739 posts · 372 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Seth Davis:
    Originally posted by @Chris Purcell:

    @Seth Davis

    What is this GC exam you speak of.

    OSHA 30?

     Hey Chris. It’s the General Contractor’s exam. It does include some OSHA questions though.

    Ok that doesn’t exist in Philly.

    You need to be OSHA 30 certified and have proper insurance and you are licensed

  • Lexington, NC · Member since 2019 · 28 posts · 19 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Chris Purcell:
    Originally posted by @Seth Davis:
    Originally posted by @Chris Purcell:

    @Seth Davis

    What is this GC exam you speak of.

    OSHA 30?

     Hey Chris. It’s the General Contractor’s exam. It does include some OSHA questions though.

    Ok that doesn’t exist in Philly.

    You need to be OSHA 30 certified and have proper insurance and you are licensed

     Wow. Very different from most other locations I would say. That’s pretty neat though. At least hopefully your contractors are safe on the job site. :)

  • Lexington, NC · Member since 2019 · 28 posts · 19 votes
    7y

    Update 2

    Well, I took the exam today and passed! It was pretty intense.  I have to say, the study guide from Carolina Seminars helped immensely. If you are studying this test for the first time, I would highly recommend using the study guide.  

    There were a lot of questions about blueprint review, but I believe I got the majority of them correct. It took me about 2 and 1/2 hours.  It was rough, but I pulled through!

  • Stanley, NC · Member since 2018 · 12 posts · 3 votes
    7y

    Congrats @Seth Davis, what area of the Carolinas are you in? 

  • Lexington, NC · Member since 2019 · 28 posts · 19 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Paul Silvestri:

    Congrats @Seth Davis, what area of the Carolinas are you in? 

     Thanks Paul. I’m in Lexington, down below Winston-Salem.

  • Real Estate Professional · West Palm Beach, FL · Member since 2012 · 23k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    7y

    @Seth Davis Congrats!  Wow, the licensing requirements in FL are much tougher....must take a 60 hours course, must document 3 years of supervisory experience, the “test” is 3 test over 2 days....2 with 4 hour limits, 1 with 8.

    I’d be surprised if you don’t have to have a licensed electrical contractor for the electrical permit and to do the work.

  • Lexington, NC · Member since 2019 · 28 posts · 19 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Wayne Brooks:

    @Seth Davis Congrats!  Wow, the licensing requirements in FL are much tougher....must take a 60 hours course, must document 3 years of supervisory experience, the “test” is 3 test over 2 days....2 with 4 hour limits, 1 with 8.

    I’d be surprised if you don’t have to have a licensed electrical contractor for the electrical permit and to do the work.

     Thank you Wayne! 

    Wow! Those are some crazy requirements! I bet FL GCs charge a pretty penny.

    At least in my county, you can get an electrical permit and not be an electrician. As long as the electrical work meets code and passes inspection.

  • Lexington, NC · Member since 2019 · 28 posts · 19 votes
    7y

    Update 3

    So, I have started learning PlanSwift estimating software. Last night, I spent a couple of hours watching some YouTube tutorials on creating parts and assemblies and using those to create estimates based on a plan. I can already tell this is going to be some powerful software.  There will be a lot of preliminary setup, but once that's all done, creating estimates from new plans will happen in very short order with extremely precise accuracy.  It also has a software development kit with it, when means I can use my programming background to do some automated tasks within the software. 

    I have also been listening to some podcasts on some best approaches to creating a business plan, as well as some podcasts on an interesting topic: technology in construction.  There is an absurd amount of potential in the construction industry to utilize the latest technology.  From machine learning to help find pitfalls in scheduling and estimating to augmented reality with HoloLens to view a fully constructed building right on your lot. Seriously, an endless amount of possibilities. 

  • Accountant · CO · Member since 2018 · 195 posts · 23 votes
    7y

    mark. very good info here. congrats to you Seth!

  • Lexington, NC · Member since 2019 · 28 posts · 19 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Ashley Zhang:

    mark. very good info here. congrats to you Seth!

    Thank you Ashley!

  • Lexington, NC · Member since 2019 · 28 posts · 19 votes
    7y

    Update 4

    I received my official general contracting license today! Very exciting. I can officially pull building permits now. I have also been working on my branding and such for the new company and researching all of the required documentation to start an LLC as I believe that is the entity I will go with.

    I also contacted my investor to see if he is interested in a sit down to talk shop about building a spec house here in the near future.

    I designed a logo as well.  Let me know what you think!

  • Real Estate Agent · Oak Ridge, NC · Member since 2017 · 76 posts · 39 votes
    7y

    @Seth Davis Congrats on taking and passing your test!  I am on the other side of Kernersville in Oak Ridge.  I am actually looking to order my books for the GC test today as well!  How long did you end up studying?

  • Lexington, NC · Member since 2019 · 28 posts · 19 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Justin Craver:

    @Seth Davis Congrats on taking and passing your test!  I am on the other side of Kernersville in Oak Ridge.  I am actually looking to order my books for the GC test today as well!  How long did you end up studying?

     Thanks Justin! I used to live near Oak Ridge over in Walkertown. That’s a nice area. 

    Congrats on your journey! I would highly recommend purchasing a study guide. I got mine from Carolina Seminars. It makes a world of difference. I studied a couple of hours per night for about 3 months. The study guide comes with a practice test that you can take over and over. So, after studying, I would take the practice test. Once I was consistently getting 90-95% on the practice test and answering the study guide questions without missing any, I felt I was ready to go.

    There are a lot of tricky questions on the exam and you will definitely be searching through your books during the exam, so be sure to tab sections and tables.

    Let me know if you have any questions! I can also sell you my study guide if you’re interested in saving some money.

  • Accountant · CO · Member since 2018 · 195 posts · 23 votes
    7y

    Hi Seth, i read your post again today! I admire your determination of getting things done! Your goal is very detailed oriented, and you follow your goal closely. Even if you are 39, i believe you will be successful in no time! 

  • Lexington, NC · Member since 2019 · 28 posts · 19 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Ashley Zhang:

    Hi Seth, i read your post again today! I admire your determination of getting things done! Your goal is very detailed oriented, and you follow your goal closely. Even if you are 39, i believe you will be successful in no time! 

     Thank you Ashley! I really appreciate the encouraging words. 

  • New to Real Estate · Raleigh, NC · Member since 2019 · 36 posts · 12 votes
    7y

    Congrats @Seth Davis, keep us posted!!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.