$200k in six months - long distance RE challenge

$200k in six months - long distance RE challenge

Rental Property Investor · Houston, TX · Member since 2013 · 476 posts · 294 votes

I day traded currency futures in a past life and always kept an online journal to keep me accountable, share what I was doing with the community and have a little bit of fun.  

Even 10+ years later, I enjoy reading back over it, reliving the sweaty palm wins, the heart sinking losses and more importantly, seeing the evolution of my mentality and how I dealt with the highs and lows of risk, wins and losses.

With that said, I've set a challenge for myself to make $200k in equity over a six month period, June-Dec 2018, investing in a market that I know well but am not physically located in.

Details are below - enjoy.


Goals


1) Buy (5) single family properties in 2018 and get them refinanced into long term mortgages

2) Purchase under market and achieve a minimum of $40k in equity per property after all repairs are completed

3) Cashflow $250-400/mo after expenses & debt service per property

Funding

1) A single line of credit established on an existing single family property

2) Private money from existing private money lenders that I've worked with over the years

3) New lines of credit that I'm currently in the process of setting up on existing properties - probably will not be established until late August

Background

I work in oil & gas and I’m currently on assignment in Mexico and will be here for another 10 months. The area I’m focused on is Southeast Texas, where I know the market, rents are strong and rising, housing supply is limited and there is major industrial capital expenditure committed to the area over the next 10 years.

I'm an experienced investor, having built my portfolio almost entirely while abroad and avoiding turnkey companies.  I focus on building quality teams, finding decent opportunities and most certainly over-communicating. 

The Team

1) Project coordinator – my boots on the ground. This is our first project together but we’ve built a relationship over the last few months and he’s an active investor in the area. 

2) Various contractors, some that I’ve worked with before, others only via reference. Despite not being in a HCOL, contractor prices tend to be higher in Southeast Texas due to labor demand in the area. A high school graduate that wants to work 60-70 hours a week can make $80k+ and those with further aspirations can make much more in supervision. So trying to find a decent contractor at a reasonable rate is difficult. Hurricane Harvey has further compounded this problem as rates have skyrocketed.

3)  Agent - young, hungry, willing to write a lot of offers.

Let's get started!

12Reply
330 views

Most Popular Reply

Sean H.Pro Member
Flipper/Rehabber · Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2010 · 224 posts · 75 votes
8y

Great job so far. It looks like you may have set your goal a little low if you have two deals and over 60% of the way to your goal and it's not even August!

How are you compensating your boots on the ground? 

See this reply in the discussion

229 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Investor · Takoma Park, MD · Member since 2011 · 74 posts · 38 votes
    8y

    @Sam B. thank you for putting this series together! You deserve a medal for taking this on and for sharing it in real time and in such detail. It’s gotten to the point where I am hanging by a thread to see if the appraisal can get higher to $157k!  Love when I get a notification that there’s is a new post in this thread!

  • Rental Property Investor · Houston, TX · Member since 2013 · 476 posts · 294 votes
    8y

    Thanks @Erik Schneider for the feedback.

    And thanks @Marla B. -  a new appraisal has been ordered and I should know more by the end of this week.  

    It's funny how the wave of self-doubt washes over you when you get a bad appraisal like that - it's hard not to question myself, my knowledge of comps, my team's knowledge of comps, etc. 

    But then you snap out of it, pick-up the phone (or fb messenger) and reach out to a few good friends - many that I met on this very forum - and they help you triple check your comps and bring you back to sanity.

    Just need the new appraisal company to align with that.  We'll know more later this week.

  • Roshan K.Pro Member
    Oklahoma City, OK · Member since 2017 · 258 posts · 215 votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Sam B.:

    Thanks @Erik Schneider for the feedback.

    And thanks @Marla B. -  a new appraisal has been ordered and I should know more by the end of this week.  

    It's funny how the wave of self-doubt washes over you when you get a bad appraisal like that - it's hard not to question myself, my knowledge of comps, my team's knowledge of comps, etc. 

    But then you snap out of it, pick-up the phone (or fb messenger) and reach out to a few good friends - many that I met on this very forum - and they help you triple check your comps and bring you back to sanity.

    Just need the new appraisal company to align with that.  We'll know more later this week.

    Appraisals are scams and you never know with them. I had a friend that had an appraiser come in and ask them what they needed it to be appraised for. WTF. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Houston, TX · Member since 2013 · 476 posts · 294 votes
    8y

    @Roshan K.  Yep, 100%.  A little scary how much power they have.

    Being local would be helpful for me - I could walk the property with them, build that relationship and receive better, most instantaneous feedback.  But being long-distance, this is one of the downsides.

  • Rental Property Investor · Houston, TX · Member since 2013 · 476 posts · 294 votes
    8y

    Update

    Property #2
    The second appraisal came back this afternoon at $163k. My target was $157k, so I'm happy and relieved to hear this.

    The bank is putting together the closing docs now and I'll sign the papers when I'm back in Texas in October.

  • Seabrook/Galveston · Member since 2018 · 274 posts · 178 votes
    8y

    Maybe I missed it, but why are you flying to Washington to get things notarized for these houses?

    I’m waiting to hear back on an offer we made on a house that will be going up for auction Tuesday due to not paying taxes. It is pretty close to the level of work you’re doing on house 3. Big step for us. A little nervous, hopefully we pull it off as well as you have. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Houston, TX · Member since 2013 · 476 posts · 294 votes
    8y

    Congrats on the offer, @Bruce C. - I hope it goes well.  It's a flood house?

    Re: flying to Washington, I had to have (2) Texas refis notarized and (1) Ohio line of credit notarized.  The problem with the Ohio line of credit was that the bank would not allow me to notarize the documents in Texas, Louisiana, California and a couple other states.  I can't explain why but for whatever reason, notaries in those states are not acceptable.  However, a Washington State notary was acceptable.

    I have family in Washington, it's beautiful in September and I haven't visited for a year, so I made a long weekend trip out of it.

    *I did try and go with an online notary but that was rejected by both banks performing the refi/LOC.

  • Real Estate Investor · Takoma Park, MD · Member since 2011 · 74 posts · 38 votes
    8y

    @Sam B. glad to hear the appraisal came in! That’s fantastic news.  

    Marla

  • Rental Property Investor · Houston, TX · Member since 2013 · 476 posts · 294 votes
    8y

    Thanks @Marla B. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Houston, TX · Member since 2013 · 476 posts · 294 votes
    8y

    Update


    Property #3 Demo is complete, now have (4) large fans going and (2) dehumidifiers to dry the place out.

    Had the mold-inspector perform a pre-treatment inspection, review the cleaning procedure with my contractor and take initial samples.

    Hope to have the cleaning process completed towards the end of this week and we'll have the mold inspector come back out, take post-remediation samples and then, pending good results, we'll have our mold free cert and can proceed with drywall.

    Some early budget increases that I've applied some of the $8k misc budget to:

    - HVAC. I should have known but due to the state of the property, all of the ducting had to be demo'd along with the inside unit. Outside compressor should be fine. +$2k

    - Dumpsters - I budgeted for 2 but we'll need three. +$700

  • Real Estate Agent · Bellingham, WA · Member since 2017 · 427 posts · 182 votes
    8y

    It always blows me away how little flips cost in other states compared to WA.  Wow.  

  • Rental Property Investor · Houston, TX · Member since 2013 · 476 posts · 294 votes
    8y

    Yeah, @Robert Freeborn

    I just wish I would have bought some Seattle RE six years ago.  Crazy appreciation. 

    Bellingham is nice though, quite a few friends of mine went to WWU.

  • Seabrook/Galveston · Member since 2018 · 274 posts · 178 votes
    8y

    Nice updates

    Sorry, didn’t mean the one I’m trying to get got hit by Harvey, but it does have roof damage that has led to floor damage...   looking at 40-45k rehab. Tried to work through owner/agent and get it before auction, but no luck. I think they still owed some mortgage, and no way was it worth 45k plus what they were asking plus delinquent  taxes. Going to court auction tomorrow to see if i can get it. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Houston, TX · Member since 2013 · 476 posts · 294 votes
    8y

    @Bruce C.  Sounds good and goodluck.

  • Seabrook/Galveston · Member since 2018 · 274 posts · 178 votes
    7y

    Well, no go on the auction.  It was listed on HAR Wednesday last week, I got it under contract before the auction at 42k to tour it.  After seeing it, i told them we were optioning out unless the price was dropped to $22k, because it needed $40-$50k worth of work.  Agent wouldn't post any pictures before getting it under contract, only said it wasn't in bad shape because it was occupied.  Liar.  

    Anyway, it went for 39.5k at auction.  Either they didn't see it, or they have a really cheap source of labor.  Good luck to them.  

  • Rental Property Investor · Houston, TX · Member since 2013 · 476 posts · 294 votes
    7y

    @Bruce C. Thanks for the follow-up.  If you did buy it and were all-in at 90k, how much would it be worth?

    Onto the next one!

  • Seabrook/Galveston · Member since 2018 · 274 posts · 178 votes
    7y

    My RE agent and I estimated 95-100k fixed up.

    The kicker was that it has a small barber shop that was plumbed and in decent shape, just needed shower installed to convert it to studio. The house would have rented 900-1000, and my agent though he could get 250-350 for the studio, so 1150-1350 a month rent.  At 65-75k in that would have been great for me, at 90k it would have been tight and we’d had to end up at the max rent estimate. As I actually do a few of these I hope to be able to narrow my ranges, but as it is now I leave a relatively pessimistic low end in. 

    Yep, on to the next!

  • Lender · Chicago, IL · Member since 2015 · 14 posts · 4 votes
    7y

    @Sam B. Like others have mentioned, thank you for posting in such detail. This really put the final pieces of the puzzle together for me in my mind. I can visualize the whole process a lot better now. One question, might be a noob question. Property 2: the appraisal came in at 163K. How much does your local lender let you take out? From my understanding you owe contractors, private lenders roughly 155K. So how did you repay back the full private loan, dipping into your own funds?  

  • Rental Property Investor · Houston, TX · Member since 2013 · 476 posts · 294 votes
    7y

    @Bruce C.  Ah, tough call with those numbers.  Good experience all the same, best of luck with the next one!

    @Karen Bivans  Thanks for the feedback.  No worries on the question re: Property 2 numbers:

    - I'm all-in (purchase + rehab costs) at $121k.  

    - Property appraised at $163k

    - My lender is at 80% LTV, so I'm taking out $130K

    - Overall equity capture of $42k

    - I'll get my $121k back +$9k

    That's it.  Let me know where you got the $155k number from, I may have done a poor job transcribing the numbers.  I wish I could edit my first post on page 1 just to keep a running tally, clean and simple.  I know it's not easy to keep track.

  • Lender · Chicago, IL · Member since 2015 · 14 posts · 4 votes
    7y

    @Sam B. Oh got it. That makes perfect sense. I accidentally added your rehab cost of 33K to what I thought was the original purchase price of 121K. But really 121K already includes the 33k in rehab. Nicely done. These are motivational AF haha. I can tell I'm not proficient enough on my comps. Even though I'm a lender I don't deal with the nitty gritty details of finding true comps. Did this come with time or do you have any tips? 

  • Rental Property Investor · Houston, TX · Member since 2013 · 476 posts · 294 votes
    7y

    @Karen Bivans  Okay, gotcha.  I think comps is a mix of experience + your network.  I have a few good friends that I always bounce things off of, along with my agent and my lender, just to get a good, cumulative understanding for what things are selling for.

    If everyone is generally in alignment that sales comps are $85/sq ft for a home, then you're probably good.  If people are all over the place, $65/sq ft here and $90/sq ft here, you probably need to reevaluate and do a little more research.

  • Rental Property Investor · Pleasanton, CA · Member since 2018 · 46 posts · 20 votes
    7y
    @Sam B. Way to put it out there to stay true! Curious why chose SFH vs 2-4 MF? Inventory or the numbers work better in that area with SFH? Thanks
  • Rental Property Investor · Houston, TX · Member since 2013 · 476 posts · 294 votes
    7y

    @Shannon Witters  It's my opinion that this market tends to heavily favor single-family rental properties.

    The small multi-fam 2-4 units are not popular nor are they in great quantity (vs they are the norm in many parts of the East Coast/West Coast).  

    In addition, it's been my strategy over the years to focus on single family as I've always been a long distance investor and I truly believe that single family homes in good neighborhoods and quality school districts offer more hands-off management and longer-term tenants, which in turn provide more consistent cashflow.  

    Thanks for your comment!

  • Rental Property Investor · Houston, TX · Member since 2013 · 476 posts · 294 votes
    7y

    Update

    Property #2  On the rental market now.

    Property #3  Mold remediation is complete and the property is dried out.  The big day is tomorrow when the mold inspector goes through the property, takes samples and certifies the house as mold free.  We'll then be able to kick-off the drywall.

    Electrical has been updating boxes, some wiring and running some new wiring to support additional recessed lighting in the kitchen.

    Some additional budget growth with electrical, exterior repairs and some cosmetic scope decisions of my own.  

    Flooring, paint, baseboard is ordered, should be arriving late next week.  I'm pretty excited for the concept here, sticking with the same cathedral gray walls of property #2, white ceiling & baseboard but coupled with a wide plank, light gray laminate flooring that should pair well.  

    But first...we need to get our mold free certificate.  We'll see what tomorrow brings.

    Property #4:  No real updates, the wholesaler is having some issues contacting the seller, which isn't uncommon.  Maybe they got a call from another wholesaler and think they can get a better offer.  We'll see.  Still under contract but if the seller disappears, not much I can do. 

    Meanwhile, I'm continuing to make offers.

    Property #3 Progress Photos Below

  • Rental Property Investor · Houston, TX · Member since 2013 · 476 posts · 294 votes
    7y

    Update

    Property #1 Rented at $1800/mo

    Property #2 On the rental market for $1650/mo - trying to send a few folks that were interested in property #1 but didn't get their deposit in fast enough over to property #2.

    Property #3 Mold remediation completed last week and samples were taken last Friday. I received the results back this week and we were given the all clear.

    HVAC installation was completed as well as installation of a new garage door yesterday.

    Drywall started today, paint and underlayment is waiting at Home Depot for pick-up and the flooring gets delivered early next week.

    Property #3 Progress Photos Below

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.