How I made $600,000 doing live-in flips in Hawaii

How I made $600,000 doing live-in flips in Hawaii

Isi NauPro Member
Real Estate Broker · Mililani, HI · Member since 2016 · 217 posts · 253 votes

The purpose of this post is to provide hope to those trying to make it in a high priced market such as Hawaii, California, New York, etc.

My wife and I made $600,000 doing live-in flips in Honolulu. It took us 11 years and three homes.

We purchased a 3 bedroom condo, sold it and purchased a 3 bedroom single family home, sold it and purchased a 5 bedroom single family home.

We have put in $80,000 along the way (down payment on Property #1, rehab of Property #1, and rehab of Property #2). That's roughly a 20% ROI per year ($80k invested, $600k return, 11 years).

Property #2 was purchased at the last peak of the market. Which is noteworthy because if you're doing it (REI) correctly, you can make money in any market.

Some take-aways:

1. Be ready to move

This plan will work best through multiple moves and trading up, but moving can be a pain. Unfortunately it is an unavoidable part of the plan. When a great deal comes up, you may have to be ready to move in a month.

2. Live below your means

This is where a lot of people slip up. It’s not fun or easy. It requires sacrifice and delayed gratification. Super unsexy, super unexciting, but super effective.

3. Lose sleep

Study your market, do some or most of the rehab yourself, talk to people in the industry, work two jobs (or one higher paying one). Everyone is busy and no one has the time, so how do people do it?  Delayed gratification.  You can always sleep (and watch Netflix) tomorrow.

4. Recognize a great deal

Know your market! Spend time each day (or at least 4-5 days a week) studying your market. What does a 3 bed/2 bath sell for, or a small house with a large lot, or the Eastside of town versus the Westside of town? You'll have to be an MLS junkie, but this will allow you to recognize a great deal within a few minutes of seeing it. When you see one, submit an offer that day.

5. Run the numbers

A lot. Know exactly what your home is worth at any given time. Know current terms and rates for financing. Run the numbers on 100s of homes. Again, this will help you to recognize a great deal instantly and determine if it will fit into your investment plan. It will also allow you to act quickly, which is essential in today’s market.

6. Get a realtor

One that’s doing it in your market. A lot. On Oahu, most realtors do not invest in real estate. If I had to guess, I think it would breakdown accordingly:

90% don’t invest

9% invest on the mainland or have one property on Oahu

1% are actually investing significantly on Oahu

Would you go to your dentist to get braces? She knows about teeth. Or maybe even your Uncle Louie? He has teeth. Or course not. You’d find a reputable orthodontist in your area who knows exactly how to do it. They can do most of the heavy lifting on Items 4 and 5 above.

You have to live somewhere, so why not make money while you’re at it. Live-in flips (and house hacking) can be tough with a spouse and/or children. Certain minimum quality of life standards have to be met. But a lot of money can still be made without inconveniencing the family too much.  My wife and I have five children, so we had fairly significant nonnegotiable life style criteria (schools, commute, good neighborhood, space, etc.), which limited how crazy we could get.  Others could, and have, seen much better results than ours.

To own a home in Hawaii is a blessing. If that home can earn you more money than your fulltime job, that’s the winning lotto ticket.

To those in Hawaii, find someone who is doing it! There are a ton of people who will tell you it’s not possible to make money in real estate here, let alone owning your own home. It is possible! It takes work and sacrifice, but it is possible.

32Reply
255 views

Most Popular Reply

Zasha SmithPro Member
Rental Property Investor · Makawao, HI · Member since 2017 · 89 posts · 41 votes
8y

This gives me hope! I'm a married Maui mama, new to BP and posted about my current situation if you have any inspiring thoughts/comments.

See this reply in the discussion

62 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Member since 2018 · 4 posts · 3 votes
    8y

    This article is very interesting! I've been looking for investment properties, living in Wahiawa- but many of the other investors (who don't already have a portfolio of units ready to do a 1031 exchange) are saying flipping is the better/only way to make money in real estate right now, if you are starting from scratch. That being said, I was at an open house in Salt Lake (yeah, I know, very expensive...but I make it a habit to go to any, and my parents live in Salt Lake, so it was on the way), and she was saying not to expect to make money the first  couple of years if you are investing for rental- that you should plan for rent increases and/or appreciation. Somehow this sounds a bit too hopeful. As you've said in your comments- "prices will keep going up". Luckily I have an agent that has a few investment properties in Hawaii, and is looking to acquire more- so he's understanding about my criteria. I'm new to the real estate investing, but have done a lot of research, and am calculating returns and costs very conservatively.

    So basically, it seems that all your profits are held in equity? Or did you sell the homes, get the personal tax exemption, use some of the money for a down payment and have a mortgage for the rest? That much extra cash would be fantastic for investing in a rental property for cash flow- or just general dividend paying stocks. 

    Anyway, I'll keep looking for cash flowing rental units, but I have a suspicion right now is not a good time, unless I have significantly more to put as a down payment-but that would cut down my ROI, instead.

    Thank you for your post- nice to know that even in Hawaii, especially in an area as high demand as Mililani, that real estate investing works. With that many kids, no less!

  • Dave FosterBusiness Member
    Qualified Intermediary for 1031 Exchanges · St. Petersburg, FL · Member since 2013 · 9k+ posts · 9k+ votes
    8y

    @Isi Nau, love the model!!!  We're on our 5th live in flip right now.  Only difference ours have been spread over the 48.  And we used 1031 exchanges to position our properties so we could convert them to primary and eliminate capital gains tax on investment properties.

    Nicely done!

    The 1031 Investor5137 Reviews
  • Kapolei, HI · Member since 2018 · 4 posts · 3 votes
    8y

    Thank you @Isi Nau. Very inspiring. I was thinking it wasn't realistic because I have a kid (only 1!) and we wanted to stay in our area. Guess I have no more excuses.

  • Isi NauPro Member
    OP
    Real Estate Broker · Mililani, HI · Member since 2016 · 217 posts · 253 votes
    8y

    Hi @Cathleen Hutchins

    Thanks for the comment.  Great insights.

    For our clients right now, looking to purchase a rental in Hawaii, the best cash flow deal we can find (traditional, not STR or house hack) is a minimum $40k-$50k downpayment. Cash flow of about $200-$250 a month. This does not include strategies for owner occupants turned investor. ;)

    For our live-in flip strategy, yes all our profits are in equity.  Our rentals are in cash flow.  For our live-in flips, since it's our personal residence, the peace of mind of a low mortgage is priceless for me as the provider.  Knowing my wife and kids can be comfortable should something go wrong.  If I were single, the plan would be much more aggressive!  Hahaha.

  • Isi NauPro Member
    OP
    Real Estate Broker · Mililani, HI · Member since 2016 · 217 posts · 253 votes
    8y

    Thanks @Dave Foster!

    That's another great strategy of incorporating your rentals into the equation.  I just need to start investing in better rentals.  Hahahah!

  • Isi NauPro Member
    OP
    Real Estate Broker · Mililani, HI · Member since 2016 · 217 posts · 253 votes
    8y

    @Derek Kamei

    No problem!  I can only hope this message gets spread widely.  It's not easy, but it possible.  Even with five kids (ages 5 to 11)!   Lol.

    When my wife and I bought our first home, we had a combined gross income of $50k a year.  When we were in our second home our combined gross was about $70k a year.  The point being, it doesn't take a ton of money to make it happen.  Just disciplined use of what you have.

  • Dave FosterBusiness Member
    Qualified Intermediary for 1031 Exchanges · St. Petersburg, FL · Member since 2013 · 9k+ posts · 9k+ votes
    8y

    @Isi Nau, True!  But we used normal investment grade rentals with good cash flow and when we 1031d we'd combine a few sales into a kickin nice vacation rental or historic property (one later became a movie set).  Cash flow sucked for a year or two sometimes.  But after that - voila a beautiful house waiting for us to move into and avoid all tax.

    Unfortunately that was pre 2009 when you could still eliminate all tax from investment gain.  Since that time the IRS has put the clamps down and you only get to prorate the primary deduction for the time you've actually lived in it.  So it's not quite as sweet but still sweet for sure.

    The 1031 Investor5137 Reviews
  • Bukka LevyPro Member
    Real Estate Agent · Petaluma, CA · Member since 2017 · 63 posts · 35 votes
    8y

    I did this in the San Francisco Bay Area, but for some reason I never imagined I could do it in Hawaii (where my family is from). Now that I think of it I imagine it's fairly similar.

    Thanks for the story and the encouragement to go for it! I believe I may move back one day.

  • Isi NauPro Member
    OP
    Real Estate Broker · Mililani, HI · Member since 2016 · 217 posts · 253 votes
    8y

    Thanks @Bukka Levy

    If you could it in SF, you can definitely do it here.  And that would be awesome if you could move back!  That's exactly why I felt like I should share.  To keep locals here or to bring them back.  I don't typically share personal experiences, especially regarding finances or family, but after too many conversations with people who said it can't be done I felt like I needed to share with others beyond our clients.  All the best!

  • Investor · Oakland, CA · Member since 2016 · 47 posts · 6 votes
    8y

    nice work , my parents live in Oahu and I'm thinking of getting a condo there. 

  • Jiva SegaranPro Member
    Flipper/Rehabber · Easton, MA · Member since 2014 · 84 posts · 22 votes
    8y

    Right on bro. Before I was a full time investor, I moved to the mainland to buy rental property and flip houses (doing 1 a month), knowing all I know now, time to start applying those techniques to my Aloha State! Thanks for the motivation :) 

  • Isi NauPro Member
    OP
    Real Estate Broker · Mililani, HI · Member since 2016 · 217 posts · 253 votes
    8y

    Thanks @John Elliott

    You won't regret it!  If done right.  :)

    There are condos for days over here, but the financials vary widely.  I love condos here.  For a lot of people, they are a great way to get their foot in the market.  If you come over, let me know.  I'm happy to meet up.

  • Isi NauPro Member
    OP
    Real Estate Broker · Mililani, HI · Member since 2016 · 217 posts · 253 votes
    8y

    Thanks @Jiva Segaran!

    One a month is awesome!  Do you still have your restaurant here?  I'll have to check it out.  Aloha.

  • Investor · Oakland, CA · Member since 2016 · 47 posts · 6 votes
    8y

    @Isi Nau I'll be there in 2 weeks actually :) , do you think SFR is better for investing? It seems hard to find fee simple real estate in general vs lease holds everywhere

  • Rental Property Investor · Seattle, WA · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    8y

    Not bad for only 80k in. Just think if you did that x10. 

  • Isi NauPro Member
    OP
    Real Estate Broker · Mililani, HI · Member since 2016 · 217 posts · 253 votes
    8y

    Awesome @John Elliott!

    SFR as in single family homes? The only way they work here is if you live-in flip, house hack, or have multiple units in one home (nonconforming). Just as a stand alone rental for one family, the financials are pretty bad.

    Right.  Most of the lower priced properties are leasehold.  The fees simple ones that cash flow are hard to find, but there are a few buildings where the numbers work.

  • Isi NauPro Member
    OP
    Real Estate Broker · Mililani, HI · Member since 2016 · 217 posts · 253 votes
    8y

    @Jack B. for sure!  My only regret is not starting when I was single.  I could have been 10x crazier.  Hahaha.

  • Real Estate Agent · Southington, CT · Member since 2008 · 5k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    8y

    Great breakdown @Isi Nau

    You brought up a lot of good points in your post and I think people looking to get started in expensive markets can learn a lot from what you wrote.

  • Member since 2018 · 4 posts · 3 votes
    8y

    @Isi Nau, that's interesting that your investors are finding opportunities for such low down payments and relatively high cashflow- they must have access to really good financing options. 

    I've just been doing calculations based off of a regular 25% down, 30 year traditional fixed mortgage- I'd rather avoid the (probably high) potential for increasing mortgage rates. Although, one investor I met that is doing a 1031 exchange has been using a HELOC with a fixed interest rate for the last 10 or so years- he just refinances to get another set of fixed interest for HELOC every 2 years or so.

    Its good that your expenses in terms of housing are very low- going the financially independent route there.

    We've been trying to pay off our mortgage early, and save for money for downpayments for investment property, and invest in stocks. Just have a lot to do at the moment.

  • Isi NauPro Member
    OP
    Real Estate Broker · Mililani, HI · Member since 2016 · 217 posts · 253 votes
    8y

    Thanks @Michael Noto

    I definitely agree.  I haven't invested out of state for a long time, but I would imagine things are still pretty much the same as far as what can be done.  I am confident these strategies would work in California, New York, etc.  Hopefully others can gain something new, or if nothing else, encouragement.

  • Isi NauPro Member
    OP
    Real Estate Broker · Mililani, HI · Member since 2016 · 217 posts · 253 votes
    8y

    Thanks @Cathleen Hutchins

    It has taken quite a few years of hunting to find condos that cash flow in Hawaii.  There aren't very many, but they are out there.

    Sticking with traditional financing for long term investments is a great idea.  HELOCs are a great option as well.  The one caveat is having is a transition or exit strategy in place prior to buying.  Especially in Hawaii were the intro rates are so low.

    I am happy to sit down and talk through some things if you happen to have some time.  Aloha.

  • Real Estate Agent · Honolulu, HI · Member since 2013 · 17 posts · 6 votes
    8y

    Thank you very much for sharing. Such a blessing to know, no matter what the circumstance may be, there are always possibilities (especially where it seems there isn't any). Keep up the great work.

  • Isi NauPro Member
    OP
    Real Estate Broker · Mililani, HI · Member since 2016 · 217 posts · 253 votes
    8y

    Thanks @Nola Akee!  Definitely!

  • Flipper · Napa, CA · Member since 2017 · 8 posts · 3 votes
    8y

    Thank you for sharing! I was just in Maui this year and I have decided to some day retire there. To hear you say that it is possible, (because property sales are as high as Northern Cal) makes me want to venture out and invest there. Again, thank you. 

  • Investor · Arlington, VA · Member since 2012 · 1k+ posts · 491 votes
    8y

    Awesome story!  Thanks for sharing.  I am also talking this approach as a Military member.  It's working wonderfully!

    I recently spent some time on Kauia and the Big Island.  Absolutely incredible!  I need to get a property out there ASAP!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.