Met my $100k cash flow goal!

Met my $100k cash flow goal!

Portland, ME · Member since 2012 · 616 posts · 550 votes

A few years ago I set a goal of $100k of rental cash flow per year. This month (it's only Sept!) I made it! Started in 2007 with a 5 unit, another 5 unit in 2008. Tried to sell around 2010 due to frustrating tenants, thank goodness they didn't sell! Added a SFH in 2012, a 5 unit and 4 unit in 2013, and a 12 unit in 2014. Did tons of capex in 2015, and now have met the goal in 2016!

I earned my down payments by fixing and flipping foreclosures.  I have done 17.  Now I realize my goal was too small and am under contract to develop a mixed use commercial property and purchased another 4 unit this year.  These will be professionally managed as I give up management duties of the portfolio little by little.

Of course, I couldn't do this without my husband who is the "second set of eyes" on the numbers and is my (often reluctant) emergency plumber.  We always agree before we purchase anything, except for one foreclosure that I bought online, but he wasn't mad when we made $37k.

56Reply
250 views

Most Popular Reply

Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
10y

Sorry I thought you meant per month   :)  so its about 10k per month and 100k per year.. good job.

keep at it..

See this reply in the discussion

93 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Professional Auctioneer · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    10y

    Congratulations, $100,000 a year net is pretty good. No doubt you work very hard to make that, we have some associates in Baltimore flipping properties at public auction making between 30 and $50,000 per month. I know you're working hard taking care of  your portfolio. You deserve a lot of credit.

  • Lake Wales, FL · Member since 2016 · 8 posts · 2 votes
    10y

    Nice! 

  • Charlotte, NC · Member since 2016 · 23 posts · 5 votes
    10y

    Congrats!

  • Investor · Spring, TX · Member since 2016 · 25 posts · 7 votes
    10y

    Living the dream!

  • Daytona Beach, FL · Member since 2015 · 130 posts · 28 votes
    10y

    @Amy A.

    Good morning Amy,

    What a wonderful story and thank you for sharing! Congrats on meeting your goal! So from your post that will put you around 32 units, is that correct? What made you get started and what helped you take the plunge in 2007?

    Best Regards, 

    Rico

  • Essex, MD · Member since 2016 · 5 posts · 0 votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Account Closed:

    Congratulations, $100,000 a year net is pretty good. No doubt you work very hard to make that, we have some associates in Baltimore flipping properties at public auction making between 30 and $50,000 per month. I know you're working hard taking care of  your portfolio. You deserve a lot of credit.

     @Charles_Parrish how can I get in on that game of flipping here in Baltimore public auctions

  • Portland, ME · Member since 2012 · 616 posts · 550 votes
    10y

    @Rico S.  Yes, 32 units.  I recently purchased 4 more, but those are not included in the income calculation.  I started buying because it made economic sense.  I sold my primary home in 2006 and needed to invest the profit in something.  I had lost some money in stock in the tech crash.  Not a lot, but enough to teach me a lesson.  I wanted an investment that I could control, and real estate was perfect.  I knew it would not be passive at first, but still give me some flexibility to work around my children's schedules.   I guess in that sense it's not purely an investment, but a job as well, and I'm okay with that.

  • Rental Property Investor · New York, NY · Member since 2011 · 956 posts · 510 votes
    10y

    Amy-- I notice you are a broker--do you think that is very helpful in reaching your goal? would someone like me find it harder since I'm not an agent?

  • Jill DeWitPro Member
    Investor · Scottsdale AZ · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 423 votes
    10y

    @Amy A.

    Love to hear how many folks did not believe you could do this. I hear all the time that people do not believe it is possible and you just did it!

    CONGRATS!!!

  • Agent / Investor · Newark, NJ · Member since 2015 · 95 posts · 60 votes
    10y

    Congrats on your success Amy

  • Investor/Agent/Entrepreneur · Dallas, TX · Member since 2016 · 464 posts · 564 votes
    10y

    Congrats on the milestone!! I have the same goal as well before the end of the year, very close!

    @Amy A. Do you plan on transitioning any other activities off to a 3rd party company or hire employees in order to scale the rental business even more? Like accounting, property management of entire portfolio, marketing, etc.? 

  • Portland, ME · Member since 2012 · 616 posts · 550 votes
    10y

    @Marci Stein I purchased my first two buildings with a broker.  He sent me the listings and disclosures and did showings.  However, he didn't know anything about the numbers or how to calculate capitalization rates.

    @Jill DeWit Very many people who have never seen my buildings call me "slumlord".  I also know many who failed as landlords and think that everybody does (I almost did!).  However, I'm not telling any friends how much money I make, that's a good way to lose friends or make the wrong ones!

    @Ujwal Velagapudi Yes, a 4 unit building I recently bought has a property management co.  I did a lot to vet them and am happy so far.  I find that right after acquisition the management is hardest,  so I let them have it from the date of closing and the tenants don't know me (but it's hard not to stop by and work!)  I have tried hiring an employee, but found that payroll paperwork was a big pain (who knew the gov't. made it so hard to hire people legally?) and keeping him working was hard - he took a LOT of breaks when I was away.  I was relieved when he moved away.

  • Investor · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2013 · 65 posts · 23 votes
    10y

    Well done! You deserve a drink and whatever else your nearly $10k/mo passive income affords you!

  • Investor · Sugar Land, TX · Member since 2016 · 109 posts · 46 votes
    10y

    That's so inspiring!!!!  Thank you for sharing.  

  • Investor · Greenville, SC · Member since 2016 · 5k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    10y

    Your story would make a good podcast.

  • Kennebunk, ME · Member since 2016 · 11 posts · 5 votes
    10y

    Congratulations, Amy!  Will you and your husband be at the next SMREIA in Scarborough?  

  • Portland, ME · Member since 2012 · 616 posts · 550 votes
    10y

    @Philip Bard maybe, I'll check Facebook to confirm the date.  Wednesdays are pretty hard for me.

  • Investor · Winston Salem, NC · Member since 2016 · 1 post · 0 votes
    10y

    Congrats on reaching your goal. Reward yourself with something special for the achievement then buckle down and work on the next goal! very inspiring.

  • Baltimore, MD · Member since 2014 · 145 posts · 65 votes
    10y

    Great work @Amy A.! Where are you investing? My family takes a vacation near Portland every year, and I keep telling them to look at stuff in Munjoy Hill. That way, they can make a portion of their vacation tax-deductible.

  • Portland, ME · Member since 2012 · 616 posts · 550 votes
    10y

    @Marci Stein I just realized I didn't completely answer your question. Yes, it is helpful for me to be a broker because I have quick access to new MLS listings and can use all the research tools the MLS has. I also get paid the buyer's agent portion of the commission, which can cover closing costs. However, my traditional lender will not allow it to simply be a credit, I have to bring a check and take home a check.

    I've been trying to figure out how to remove my broker title from BP for months, but don't think it's worth bothering the admin team about.  I no longer practice brokerage for other people because I hate it, but that's a topic for another post!

  • Portland, ME · Member since 2012 · 616 posts · 550 votes
    10y

    @Andy Gross a bit north of Portland, but am looking to buy some further south.  Portland doesn't cash flow well at current list prices.

  • Lexington, SC · Member since 2016 · 10 posts · 5 votes
    10y

    That's awesome @Amy A.! I'm just getting started so your story is inspiring. Thanks for sharing!

  • Real Estate Investor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2016 · 50 posts · 22 votes
    10y

    @Amy A. Very inspirational story. I'm sure I speak for a lot of us when I say the first $100,000 is the hardest. Be sure to keep us updated as you grow your portfolio. While plumbing is simply never fun, realizing that you have $100,000 in passive income is a great thing to wake up to every morning. Not to mention that YOU built up this empire, no one handed it to you. You've already made some of the hardest mistakes so hopefully the next $100,000 is a breeze compared to the first. Keep up the inspiring work Amy! 

  • Rental Property Investor · Saint Louis, MO · Member since 2016 · 123 posts · 84 votes
    10y
    Very cool. Hard work pays off. But you got to pay the price in advanced
  • Limerick , PA · Member since 2016 · 14 posts · 5 votes
    10y

    @Amy A. Congrats!! I can't imagine your joy when you finally reached that goal. Just reading your post has inspired me to be patient and grind it out as my first acquisition is taking months to close.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.