6 Deals in 9 months. Over 2 million dollars.... Whew!!

6 Deals in 9 months. Over 2 million dollars.... Whew!!

Chicago, IL · Member since 2015 · 298 posts · 261 votes

Hi All, It has been a very hectic and busy 9 months for me going from 0 to 60 in real estate. I always get a rush from reading some of the success stories posted on here so i figured i might as well share mine. It has been a good 9 months.

My first investor deal was an OO buy and hold 4 unit that kicked everything off for me. After that i closed on my first flip about 4 months later. I then proceeded to close on 3 more flips within 1.5 months, sell a condo and finally close another buy and hold closed yesterday.

The best part about all of this has been trying not to give my fiancee (wife in 2 weeks) a heart attack. She is a lot more risk averse than i am. However she has fully supported me in all of it and contributes funds and credit when needed. I look forward to enabling her to retire and pursue her passion for non profit.

It has been fun trying to do this while working full time but i am glad i went for it. Succeeding in this for me is a testament to working with partners. I own all my rentals on my own but all the flips are being done with construction partners which allows me to keep working full time and manage my rentals. I would definitely like to give a shout out to @Frank Ponticelli my attorney who has attended 6 closings with me so far, my partners and fellow investors to bounce ideas off @chidi Osuji, @John Casmon, @neil thakkar, @Xavier Y., @brie Schmidt and @George foster (i believe i met all of my partners at their meetups).

Also thanks to all the BP members who have answered my questions and guided me through some of the deals as they kicked off. 2016 should be a great year. Especially with the sale of all the flips that are in progress

Deal Synopsis

Albany Park 4-Unit
Acquisition: $495,000
Down payment: $100,000
Gross Rent: $49200 (I live in one of the units)
Vacancy (5%): $2460
Expenses + Capex: $14760
NOI: $31980
Annual Debt Service: $30,000
Annual Cash Flow: $1980 (my unit can rent for about 1K a month once I move out which adds over 10K to cash flow)

Albany Park 2-Unit + Garden
Acquisition: $375,000
Down payment: $13000
Gross Rent: $33600 (Living in the garden unit)
Vacancy (5%): $1680
Expenses + Capex: $10080
NOI: $21840
Annual Debt Service: $20892
Annual Cash Flow: $948

The building appraised for 25K more than purchase price (with FHA appraisal which is usually stricter) so once I hit six months I will refinance and remove PMI which will add $292 a month to my cash flow. Also rents are low for the current tenants and I plan to increase them at least 75-100 for each unit by June which will significantly increase cash flow.

Portage Park Flip (this has been presold and contract is signed. Just finishing construction)
Acquisition: $181,000
Rehab: $140,000
Permits & Holding Costs: $52,000
ARV: $450,000 (under contract at 450K)
Projected Total Profit: $77,000

Uptown/Ravenswood Flip
Acquisition: $415,000
Rehab: $185,000
Permits & Holding/Financing Costs: $100,000
ARV: $900,000 (very conservative as some comps are over 1mil)
Projected Total Profit: $200,000

Albany Park Flip
Acquisition: $215,000
Rehab: $130,000
Permits & Holding Costs: $60,000
ARV: $500,000
Projected Total Profit: $95,000

Irving Park Flip
Acquisition: $340,000
Rehab: $195,000
Permits & Holding Costs: $50,000
ARV: $730,000
Projected Total Profit: $145,000

Condo Sale - non investor deal (I bought this condo in 2013 to live in and it has served me very well and helped kick everything off. Lived in it for 2+ years then sold it)
Acquisition: $77,000
Rehab: $8000 (Replace HVAC and repaint and some minor fixes)
Permits & Holding Costs: Essentially 0. - I had a roommate paying rent that covered all of my PITI+HOA fees. I lived in it so routine maintenance was done by me and HOA took care of the rest. All utilities except electric were part of HOA fee. No vacancy cause roommate was there till i sold it.
Sold: $132000
Total Profit: $40,000 (Tax free since i lived there for over 2 years)

30Reply
388 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · Dallas, TX · Member since 2012 · 502 posts · 263 votes
10y

@Nnabuenyi Anigbogu Congrats! Sounds like you found a great niche in value add flips.

@Michael Williams You can't evaluate everything purely based on ROI. If you follow the BRRR strategy and buy a house for $50k, put $20k into rehab, get a loan for $70k, and put a tenant in it paying $1000/mo, and let's say your cash flow after expenses is $200/mo, that is an infinite ROI because you have zero dollars invested.

If you only got a loan for $65k and had $5k invested in it, that would be a 48% annual return. Sure, that's a crazy ROI, but certainly doable on that scale. Probably not if you had $1M to invest.

My point is, spend some time learning the different ways to understand returns in real estate (ROI, ROE, IRR, cash flow per door) and how real estate earns income in various ways (tax losses, appreciation, tenant mortgage paydown, etc.). Don't just plug numbers into a spreadsheet and extrapolate.

See this reply in the discussion

128 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • NYC, NY · Member since 2016 · 617 posts · 456 votes
    10y

    Congratulations on your success.  

  • West Jordan, UT · Member since 2016 · 44 posts · 15 votes
    10y

    @Nnabuenyi Anigbogu,

    Very fascinating. Congratulations on a successful 9 months and it looks like you're just getting started. This is a great post for novice investors just starting out to get some inspiration. Thanks for sharing!

  • Mindy JensenPro Member
    BiggerPockets Money Podcast Host · Longmont, CO · Member since 2014 · 7k+ posts · 10k+ votes
    10y

    @Nnabuenyi Anigbogu, holy cow! Great job!

    I used to live in Uptown/Ravenswood. I'd love to know the cross streets of your flip. 

  • Chicago, IL · Member since 2015 · 298 posts · 261 votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Mindy Jensen:

    @Nnabuenyi Anigbogu, holy cow! Great job!

    I used to live in Uptown/Ravenswood. I'd love to know the cross streets of your flip. 

     The flip is actually on Dover street. Dover and Wilson i guess would be the cross street. Or Clark and Wilson for those who dont know dover. There are plenty of million dollar homes in that area. It is a nice historic 3 story + basement property.

  • Real Estate Broker · Chicago, IL · Member since 2015 · 531 posts · 266 votes
    10y

    Congrats! 

  • Solo 401k Expert · Anaheim Hills, CA · Member since 2012 · 18k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    10y

    That's really impressive. Good luck for future deals!

  • Rio Linda, CA · Member since 2016 · 7 posts · 2 votes
    10y

    This is true motivation. Thanks for share this. 

  • John CasmonPro Member
    Cincinnati, OH · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    10y

    @Nnabuenyi Anigbogu As I've told you before, this is absolutely amazing (and crazy) and a true testament to what you can accomplish when you focus on taking action and finding solutions to the hurdles holding you back. Congrats on the success and I know this is just the beginning.

  • Utica, NY · Member since 2016 · 23 posts · 4 votes
    10y
    Congrats, very motivational!
  • Investor · Silver Spring, MD · Member since 2016 · 92 posts · 42 votes
    10y

    congratulations on your 9 months of success and good luck in continuing to build your presence in that market! Very inspirational to me to get off my butt and start doing something progressive. 

  • Rental Property Investor · East Wenatchee, WA · Member since 2014 · 10k+ posts · 16k+ votes
    10y

    Congrats @Nnabuenyi Anigbogu!  And I thought I was busy...

    Best wishes and congrats getting married as well. We investors need a spouse whose risk meter isn't broken, like you have found.   Thanks for sharing and keep up the good work!

  • Lawrence L.Pro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Bronx, NY · Member since 2008 · 144 posts · 64 votes
    10y

    Great job.....9 months WOW!!!! Keep going.....Your post is inspiring..

  • Chicago, IL · Member since 2015 · 298 posts · 261 votes
    10y

    @Steve Vaughan

    Haha. I completely agree. If not for her i might have bought a couple more flips and i know i don't have the cash to support that with all i have going on. I could live on Ramen and just invest and overleverage myself if im not careful and she often pulls me back. I have a different problem than most of the first time investors on here. I jump in 2 feet first and figure it out as i go along. I need to find a better balance. lol.

    Thanks to everyone for all the congrats. Its been interesting.

  • Investor · Ft Collins, CO · Member since 2008 · 20 posts · 12 votes
    10y

    Thank you for taking the time to share your successes!

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2015 · 128 posts · 37 votes
    10y

    @Nnabuenyi Anigbogu Great job! Love to see things coming along nicely. Congrats on all of your success and keep us updated!

  • Palm City, FL · Member since 2015 · 34 posts · 7 votes
    10y

    Inspringing!

  • Investor · Seattle, WA · Member since 2015 · 195 posts · 101 votes
    10y

    @Nnabuenyi Anigbogu

    May I ask, how are you financing these deals? I have a decent sized portfolio of buy and holds but my husband and I want to add more and do a few flips. We have $60K in cash but we run into trouble with conventional investor financing. Any suggestions? Thanks tons and congrats, your story is very motivating! 

  • Pineville, NC · Member since 2016 · 15 posts · 5 votes
    10y

    Thank you for sharing your success story.  Good luck in your new and future marry life. 

    Keep up the good work. Very inspiring for us beginners. 

  • Lockport , NY · Member since 2014 · 265 posts · 124 votes
    10y
    I'm confused, on you Gross rent line for both the Albany Park property, it says you live in one of the units. Please explain.
  • Chicago, IL · Member since 2015 · 298 posts · 261 votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Jeff Sprunger:

    I'm confused, on you Gross rent line for both the Albany Park property, it says you live in one of the units. Please explain.

     The first one listed is the one i currently live in. I am moving out of that and into the 2nd one within the next 45 days. However the gross rent on both is as if i lived in each one. I am not counting on the rent till i move out and get it rented out. So the monthly cashflow should be going up quite a bit soon for that one.

  • Chicago, IL · Member since 2015 · 298 posts · 261 votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Nicole S.:

    @Nnabuenyi Anigbogu

    May I ask, how are you financing these deals? I have a decent sized portfolio of buy and holds but my husband and I want to add more and do a few flips. We have $60K in cash but we run into trouble with conventional investor financing. Any suggestions? Thanks tons and congrats, your story is very motivating! 

     I use hard money lenders to finance the deals. The ones i use typically cover 90% of the purchase and 100% of the rehab. I also try to raise private money that helps with fronting the repairs before the lender reimburses me. Since my deals are pretty good i can pay the high money costs and still make a great profit. With 60K i can probably flip a 300-500K building if set up right.

  • Real Estate Investor · Chapel Hill, NC · Member since 2015 · 78 posts · 10 votes
    10y

    Fantastic!  Very motivating!!

  • Investor · Orange County, CA · Member since 2016 · 113 posts · 24 votes
    10y

    @Nnabuenyi Anigbogu  Outstanding job and very inspiring!  Best of luck to you on the rest of 2016 and congratulations on your upcoming wedding!  Keep up the great work and let us know how you finish the year out, I'm sure it'll be amazing! 

  • Investor · Houston, TX · Member since 2016 · 12 posts · 5 votes
    10y

    Good stuff. Congrats. Thanks for the details.

  • Bulawayo, Zimbabwe · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 253 votes
    10y

    Thanks for sharing how you financed your flips and keep up the great work

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.