22 Years Old with 20 Units in 10 Months!

22 Years Old with 20 Units in 10 Months!

Rental Property Investor · Michigan City, IN · Member since 2015 · 530 posts · 741 votes

10 months ago I was driving up and down every road in this new town of Iron Mountain MI trying to get a feel for the quality of the neighborhoods and characteristics of the market. I still had a few weeks of college left but was likely going to be starting a job in the town after graduation. Having already understood that multi family properties was where I wanted to focus my attention I wanted to take a look at every apartment complex or 4+ unit structure I could find. Knowing I could only afford 4 units as my first purchase I passed by a large complex on a small lake in the center of town and said to my mother who was in the car with me… “Wow, that would be amazing to own!” Given the size of the building, location, and fact that the numbers on the carports went up to 16 I shrugged it off knowing there was no way I could ever afford something like that in the near future.

The day before graduation I received my job offer, and 2 days after graduation I submitted an offer on a 4 unit building in the hopes of living in one unit while renting out the others. I wanted to renovate the units with the idea that within 6 months I could be living rent free with my tenants paying all my bills. After negotiations and inspections I closed on my first deal in June 2015, began my job, and began renovations. 5 months later I had the first major renovations completed and got the building full to achieve my goal of living rent free before the new year.

In October 2015, during the renovations of my last vacant unit my carpet installer gave me a tip on a 16 unit building. So being young and ambitious I figured, “what the hell, why not call and see what the deal looks like.” Well, it ended up being Crystal Lake, that 16 unit that caught my eye on my first property hunt through the town.

After analyzing the numbers, viewing a few units in the property, trying to find investors interested in a partnership and exhausting my network I had to make a phone call and acknowledge my inability to move forward on the deal(I was 100% honest the entire time about my situation). I explained that while I clearly like the deal, unless the owners could provide some sort of owner financing (in the very first conversation the owners were clear about not wanting to do any owner financing) then I couldn't likely make an offer as I didn't have the financing to back it up.

Long story short, the owners came back with an owner financing option, we negotiated and had a signed purchase agreement by the end of January 2016. After getting multiple banks to negotiate on the financing I was able to secure a commercial loan in 1st position with the owner financing in second position all under very favorable terms. I walked into closing today and was only required to put $11,950 down on the building.

If anyone is interested in learning more about my financing structure, negotiation, or cash flow analysis please PM me!

Needless to say, the past 10 months have been very exciting for me. I am 22 years old and now own 20 units. The goal is to hit 150 units by age 30! But why not try to hit that by age 26?

I have to give a big shout out to the BP community for the advice, encouragement, and cautions as I have sought out help through this process. I really cannot imagine I would be where I am today without the BP community to lean on when things have gotten challenging.

For all the newbies, I was one just 10 months ago. Don’t think because you don’t have lots of money or experience you cant make it happen. It took me just $17k in total investment of my own money to secure these 20 units which rent for an average of $600 each (most of the utilities are sub metered too!). Figure out what peoples problems are and try to find the most advantageous way to solve those problems for all parties. It’s a relationship and problem solving game. Do that better then anyone else who is competing for a particular deal and you can surely see substantial success in a short period of time! 

201Reply
2,454 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Weston, WI · Member since 2016 · 105 posts · 114 votes
10y

I  would love to see the cash flow analysis, and I bet others would to. Can you just post it here for everyone to see?

Congrats man, you are killing it!

See this reply in the discussion

393 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Michigan City, IN · Member since 2015 · 530 posts · 741 votes
    10y

    @Account Closed Ill be sure to do that!

  • Farmington, MI · Member since 2016 · 1 post · 0 votes
    10y

    Hello Joel! SUPER inspiring! I am looking forward to being in a similar real estate investment position within the next year. I will certainly be in touch via PM to receive any insight that you are willing to offer. Thank you for sharing your experience here : )

  • Real Estate Agent · Bowling Green, KY · Member since 2015 · 3 posts · 0 votes
    10y

    Nice work!  Any chance you've written up / are going to write the details to the 16-unit deal?  I'd greatly appreciate it you did, as I'm sure a lot of people on this site would.  Thanks for your time.

  • Investor · Brooklyn, NY · Member since 2015 · 27 posts · 4 votes
    10y

    This is awesome, congratulations Joel.

  • Rental Property Investor · Michigan City, IN · Member since 2015 · 530 posts · 741 votes
    10y

    @Doug Statum I think they are on page 2 or 3 but feel free to PM me and I will answer any specifics that you want to know.

  • Real Estate Agent · Bowling Green, KY · Member since 2015 · 3 posts · 0 votes
    10y

    @Joel Florek I'll take a look, thanks

  • Investor · Oceanside, CA · Member since 2015 · 2 posts · 0 votes
    10y

    Congrats @Joel Florek!  Very inspirational and thank you for sharing your huge win!  I'm sure you'll be attaining your goal well before you're 30.  =)

  • Investor · Boulder, CO · Member since 2015 · 118 posts · 16 votes
    10y

    that's great @Joel Florek Do those numbers include vacancy, maintenance, collections, CAPEX etc?

  • Rental Property Investor · Michigan City, IN · Member since 2015 · 530 posts · 741 votes
    10y

    @Joseph M. Absolutely. All were conservatively estimated to reach my $65k NOI estimate. I have beaten a number of my expenses by 20% to 30% already by shopping around.

  • Investor · Fullerton, CA · Member since 2014 · 8 posts · 2 votes
    10y

    @Joel Florek Thank you so much for sharing your story!!! It has opened my eyes to believing ANYTHING is truly possible if you take action!!! You're not only and inspiration but a trailblazer!!! Im in the process of trying to buy my first 4-plex and would love to hear more about these deals you put together. I'm gonna PM you :)

  • Real Estate Agent · Burlington, VT · Member since 2015 · 108 posts · 46 votes
    10y

    Very inspirational! Thanks for keeping me "thinking big"~

  • Pinon Hills, CA · Member since 2016 · 18 posts · 4 votes
    10y

    Thats great!!! I am excited to start investing too. Congrats to you. Go for the 30 doors at 26!

  • Investor · Greeley, CO · Member since 2014 · 17 posts · 3 votes
    10y

    Congratulations! Your story is very inspirational. I look forward to seeing how your investing progresses.

  • Melrose Park, IL · Member since 2015 · 88 posts · 30 votes
    10y

    wow thank you for sharing your story. I am following in your footsteps.  Thank you for the inspiration as well.  

  • Bremerton, WA · Member since 2015 · 22 posts · 5 votes
    10y

    Very cool!  Great work!

  • Lender · Morgan Hill, CA · Member since 2015 · 55 posts · 24 votes
    10y

    congrats! That's amazing. Good for you on taking action and making solutions appear!

  • Real Estate Agent/Investor · Clarkston, MI · Member since 2013 · 156 posts · 34 votes
    10y

    Awesome stuff! Good to see other young MI investors! Keep it up!

  • Toronto, Ontario · Member since 2015 · 62 posts · 9 votes
    10y
    @Joel Florek excellent job. Very inspiring. Will definitely be keeping an eye on your progress.
  • Honolulu, HI · Member since 2015 · 1 post · 0 votes
    10y

    This is pretty sweet indeed. I'm aiming for something like that.

  • Investor · Canton, MI · Member since 2015 · 3 posts · 0 votes
    10y

    New to BP. This post is exactly the reason why I love real estate and got into it. 

    @joel florek

    Did you have to place a personal guarantee with the bank for the commercial loan or was this a non-recourse? 

    I am looking at a MF, but the bank wants me to put a personal guarantee and I don't have the assets to cover it so I wanted to get your thoughts....

  • Investor · Berwyn, PA · Member since 2016 · 39 posts · 8 votes
    10y

    Joel, amazing story.

    I'm sorry if this was already mentioned, but how much down % and what is the interest % and is it a balloon or 30 year fixed? 

    Congrats my friend, what an inspiration! 

  • Fort Wayne, IN · Member since 2016 · 38 posts · 7 votes
    10y
    That's awesome Joel congratulations! What an inspirational story.
  • Investor · Bethlehem, PA · Member since 2016 · 11 posts · 3 votes
    10y

    @Joel Florek:

    First of all, congratulations!

    And then, I agree with Eric M., could you just post here for all of us to see?

    I recently went to reserve a townhome in my area, 550k+! I had gotten what I thought was the best deal, the biggest lot with no neighbors on the back, and my "yard" led to the woods ($10k extra of course), so in essence, I was buying the most expensive house in a 160 unit development and was the last one to buy... I forgot my checkbook that day, so I couldn't leave the deposit. I guess that's the best thing that ever happened to me... because I realized, I would tie down all of my money, and make 0$ dollars out of it... have a huge mortgage and be forced to live in it for I dont know how long, as I could have only rented for around 2600$.

    That was my AHA! moment, and I realized I wanted to invest instead of buying a fancy townhome for myself... so I moved on to the next deal and wanted to buy a 170k cash... but then it didn't really work with the cash due to reserves needed, and now I put in an offer with financing I hope they take.

    Now I see what you did with 12k and I wonder... why can't I do something like that with 150k?! I would really appreciate to learn from your structure!

    Congrats again, and thanks!

  • Rental Property Investor · Michigan City, IN · Member since 2015 · 530 posts · 741 votes
    10y

    @John Ratigan Check out page 2 and 3 and I posted up some of that information. PM me if you cant find it. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Michigan City, IN · Member since 2015 · 530 posts · 741 votes
    10y

    @Hugo Castellanos Check out page 2 or 3 and you will find some more information. Otherwise PM me and I will send it to you personally. You definitely made the right choice not to buy that place in my opinion. I will likely not own my own home for a while and bounce between my different apartment buildings for next few years as I renovate units while I live in them. 

    When I hear of people like you with a good chunk of money to invest I would caution going out to buy the first deal that you can find that would tie up all that money. Can you figure out a way to get creative financing to take that money and do 3 deals where the traditional down payment was $120k? I make good money for a recent college grad, but its still under 6 figures. That being said I can either invest in small things and slowly build, save money until I can afford the down payment on a bigger property, of find a way to safely leverage up to get big deals done right now. It would take me 8 years of diligently saving money to get the down payment I would have needed to close this 16 unit deal. In 4 years through principle pay down I will have built that same amount of equity and in 8 will have doubled the amount I would have needed. 

    Plus, by buying under the appraised value I automatically create equity on the books that banks use to determine my total assets and see if they are comfortable lending on a future deal. 

    Feel free to PM me and we can get into the weeds and discuss any detailed questions you might have. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.