The Power of Bigger Pockets

The Power of Bigger Pockets

Investor · Asheville, NC · Member since 2011 · 833 posts · 499 votes

Part 1

Hey BP Community,

I wanted to take some time and share this project that literally would not have happened without Bigger Pockets.  Thank you again @Joshua D. for taking the risk to start this. Many of you have shared your stories and it's so encouraging, so keep it up!

What we were (and are) looking for

Flips and Buy & Holds. This was prior to me getting my RE license, and I connected with an investor/agent here on BP, shout out to @Erin Legler.  She helped us find this deal (as well as several others).

The Deal

We walked into this flea ridden mess of a house, and smelled the potential immediately.  It was listed at $87.5k , and there were comps in the neighborhood just under $200k. The listing had it as a 2/2 with 1300 SQ FT, but in reality, it was a 3/2, with a potential for a 4th bedroom with closer to 1500 SQ FT.  After some quick math, we knew this was a great deal and proceeded to put in a cash offer.  Erin connected with the listing agent and found out there were multiple offers the first day, so we decided to come in at $5k over asking at $92.5K.

*Key Learning Most BP'ers, and especially those in the Orlando & Central Florida area would agree that good deals are getting pretty scarce on the MLS. Of the three deals I've closed off the MLS to date, we have come in at or over asking price. It’s easy to get caught in up in getting an “amazing deal” on the front end, but with the amount of competition there is, it’s been well worth it to come in higher. Knowing my numbers: comps and rehab/holding costs has allowed me to do this with confidence.*

Acceptance to Close

Needless to say, they accepted our offer and we were thrilled. I've connected with several great hard money lenders, both through BP and my local REIA, but I wanted to see if I could raise private money for this purchase. As @Brandon Turner has said, REI is "sexy" and people are interested so I put together this presentation:

http://www.biggerpockets.com/forums/517/topics/176471-seeking-flip-funding-in-orlando-50-ltv-and-138-roi

In addition to the BP community, I shared it with family, friends and local investors that had expressed interest in what I was doing. I got some really great feedback about the presentation and the deal, and received a lot of interest and queries. 

I was hoping this would be a stress free transaction, but as with so many deals, it came right down to the wire.

A private investor from BP reached out to me a few days before close, and expressed interest. We were supposed to close on a Friday, and after he did some due diligence, committed to the deal on Thursday afternoon. He was planning to lend out of his IRA and needed a notarized mortgage and promissory note by the end of the day in order to send wire instructions to his IRA trustee. I scrambled to put these together, call a notary friend and got them signed, notarized, scanned and sent back to him within a couple hours. We were both doubtful that all the pieces would fall into place with the looming deadline, but somehow they did! The wire instructions were sent Friday morning, but the money didn't make it in that day, so we spent a weekend wondering if it would close… Monday morning came, the money was there, and the deal closed!

... Stay tuned for part 2 tomorrow

20Reply
288 views

Most Popular Reply

Greensboro, NC · Member since 2014 · 212 posts · 143 votes
11y
Originally posted by @Andrew Davis:

@Patrick Jacques

 what must be?

 Patrick, when you say it must be nice, we assume you mean that it must be nice for Andrew to see all of his hard work come together. It must be nice to see untold hundreds of hours up late, up early, researching his market, building his network, sweating out the details and generally doing the things that others were not willing to do...finally come together in this end product.  So yes, this is very nice and gratifying, but it definitely wasn't as easy as "pick a house off the mls and flip it."  Congrats to Andrew, your lender and realtor.  Here's to a quick sale!  

See this reply in the discussion

114 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Agent · Orlando, FL · Member since 2014 · 231 posts · 130 votes
    11y

    @Andrew Davis Absolutely agree!

  • Real Estate Agent · Orlando, FL · Member since 2014 · 231 posts · 130 votes
    11y

    @Andrew Davis Congrats for making the newsletter!!!!! You have definitely jumped into this world of investing and have been killing it!

  • Investor · Asheville, NC · Member since 2011 · 833 posts · 499 votes
    11y

    Part 3

    I have to say how much I appreciate everyone’s encouraging words and feedback. I took the risk to invest full time back in the fall, and while I’m not where I want to be, I’m definitely on the way. There’s a quote in The Millionaire Real Estate Investor, “Everyone can do it, but not everyone will”. I may have completely botched it (sorry Gary!), but you get the idea. One of the consistent themes we hear on the podcasts is just to take action and be persistent. Simple, but not always easy.

    Ok, back to the deal...

    To give an idea of the time frame on this project, we closed on Monday, March 2 & listed it on Wednesday, May 20.  So we completed the rehab in just over 10 weeks.  We were hoping to get it done in 5 weeks, but don’t we all!  In that time:

    We did a complete re-plumb and moved the laundry room inside the house.

    We re-wired and upgraded all the panels.

    We completely gutted both bathrooms and re-did them.

    We replaced all the windows and doors.

    We gutted the kitchen and put in new tile, cabinets, granite countertops and appliances.

    We repaired the roof and converted the outside laundry room into a garden shed.

    We re-did all the floors with cherry wood, tile and carpet in the guest bedrooms.

    We re-did the HVAC with a new unit and air handler and moved the air handler out of the master bedroom (not sure why it was there) and into the hall closet to free up closet space in the master.

    We replaced the deck which was rotted, landscaped and removed a dead tree which definitely would have been considered a hazard.

    And e took a strange room addition right off the living area and framed it into two rooms, a study and a laundry room.

    Thanks everyone for reading, and stay tuned for part 4... the finished product.

  • Investor · Asheville, NC · Member since 2011 · 833 posts · 499 votes
    11y

    @Erin Legler thank you so much!

  • Realtor · Tampa, FL · Member since 2014 · 175 posts · 20 votes
    11y

    @Andrew Davis did you get the deal under contract first then search for an investor?

  • Investor · Charlotte, NC · Member since 2014 · 99 posts · 18 votes
    11y

    Hey @Andrew Davis

    This looks awesome so far congrats on your quick progress!

    And is it just me or did anyone else notice that @Andrew Davis is up at 5:30 AM grinding it out on BP!! Slatue to you right there man just for being a beast and making me feel like I'm clearly not working hard enough. I think I saw you giving some website building advice is that true? I'm actually facing that problem myself this very moment.

    Can't wait to see part 4 but please know you've been a real inspiration already!

  • Investor · Asheville, NC · Member since 2011 · 833 posts · 499 votes
    11y

    @David Battle yessir, that is correct.  I had hard money lined up as a contingency in case I wasn't able to raise the funds.

  • Investor · Asheville, NC · Member since 2011 · 833 posts · 499 votes
    11y

    Hey @Jasmine S. thanks so much, I'm a morning person and love being up before everyone else!

    Not that I recall on the website building advice, but I'd be happy to give you my 2 cents.

    PM me if you'd like to chat about it.

  • Investor · Longwood, FL · Member since 2015 · 221 posts · 130 votes
    11y

    @Andrew Davis

    I read your post and looked at your link when you advertised for the investor. It was very professional and seemed to address all concerns. I will stay tuned for tomorrow. What were you doing as it was coming time to close? What was plan b? You did not know if investor A would change his mind. Would you have lost a deposit or were you talking to other potential investors? Scott

  • Investor · Saint Petersburg, FL · Member since 2015 · 13 posts · 2 votes
    11y

    Congrats @Erin Legler  and @Andrew Davis!  Hard work, ingenuity, and perseverance DO pay off! Can't wait to see the 'after' pics!

  • Investor · Arlington, TX · Member since 2015 · 200 posts · 61 votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @Andrew Davis:

    Part 1

    Hey BP Community,

    I wanted to take some time and share this project that literally would not have happened without Bigger Pockets.  Thank you again @Joshua D. for taking the risk to start this. Many of you have shared your stories and it's so encouraging, so keep it up!

    Thanks for sharing! I love members sharing the details. Really gives us ideas and things to think about! Keep up the great work! 

  • Building Performance Consultant · Stockton, CA · Member since 2013 · 11 posts · 11 votes
    11y

    Nice work, each of you, on the project.

    It inspires us all when we can read success

    stories.  ...& a shout out for the KW family !

    cheers

  • Investor · Seattle, WA · Member since 2013 · 68 posts · 16 votes
    11y

    Andrew,

    Congratulations! This seems like a great deal. And thank you very much for sharing. This thread is awesome! Look forward to the next update. 
     Walter

  • Investor · Davenport, FL · Member since 2013 · 73 posts · 22 votes
    11y

    Awesome job!  Looking forward to part 4.

  • Investor · Asheville, NC · Member since 2011 · 833 posts · 499 votes
    11y

    @Scott Harper thank you, I appreciate your feedback.  I actually had an initial investor that backed out, so plan B became my plan A!  I also had a hard money lender on standby, who if I need them to, can close in 48 hours and will work on a file over the weekend.  If all that fell through, I would have lost my deposit.

  • Investor · Asheville, NC · Member since 2011 · 833 posts · 499 votes
    11y

    Thanks @Account Closed!  Are you currently in Orlando??

  • Real Estate Agent · Orlando, FL · Member since 2015 · 15 posts · 6 votes
    11y

    This is great stuff @Andrew Davis! Going to be just like you when I grow up. :) Seriously though, can't wait for Part 2 of this deal.

  • Investor · Asheville, NC · Member since 2011 · 833 posts · 499 votes
    11y

    Part 4

    The finished product!  

    So after 10 weeks and A LOT of work, this is what it looks like:

    Here's a link to the full listing:

    http://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/1...

    Thanks everyone for following along, once the deal closes I'll post an update with all the numbers.

  • Investor · Longwood, FL · Member since 2015 · 221 posts · 130 votes
    11y

    Andrew, the house looks great and l see that you listed for a little more than you originally thought you would. It looks fantastic. Thank you for taking the time to explain your deal.  I look forward to seeing your rehab costs. I hope you break it down. I would like to see what the kitchen cost, bathrooms etc.

  • Rental Property Investor · Orlando, FL · Member since 2014 · 132 posts · 24 votes
    11y

    I have not yet gotten to @J Scottor @Brandon Turner's book and I know I'll kick myself for not having them be my first source in the business.

    All those other names you mentioned are frequent contributors on here and we can only admire their generosity (time and experience).

    I look forward to seeing how this deal works out for you and look forward to many more.

    Wishing you the very best!

    Sam.

  • Rental Property Investor · Orlando, FL · Member since 2014 · 132 posts · 24 votes
    11y

    @Sam Alpha Yes Sam, Andrew had contacted me through Biggerpockets.  Once contacted we hit the ground running.  We looked at a lot of properties.  I laugh because one property we looked at wreaked of cat spray and feces.  Andrew and I looked at each other and said "this place smells like money"!

     @Erin Legler this is so funny, yet true in most cases!!!

  • Investor · Davenport, FL · Member since 2013 · 73 posts · 22 votes
    11y

    @Andrew Davis I live in New York doing the drug rep thing but invest in Orlando/Central Florida. Luckily found a solid realtor/property manager. Finished house looks great!!

  • Brandon TurnerPro Member
    Investor · Maui, HI · Member since 2009 · 13k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    11y

    Hey @Sam Alpha you should get those books! ;) 

  • Investor · Asheville, NC · Member since 2011 · 833 posts · 499 votes
    11y

    Thanks @Scott Harper!

    When we close I'll post a follow up and break down all the numbers.

  • Investor · Polk County, FL · Member since 2014 · 144 posts · 36 votes
    11y

    @Andrew Davis

    I finally finished this whole thread.  Hats off to you on this!  I'd move in this place! If this is not motivation for anyone to start I don't know what is.  Well done.  

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.